ECL hype issue

UnknownJarvin

Jun 24, 2014
Allowing everyone to cast the games live when they're played has completely ruined this tournament for me. I'd much prefer watching it in a single day on the escape channel rather than catching single games in random order on other channels.

Was hoping to watch the 1v1 semis and finals but i already know the results from twitter posts and twitch stream notifications. Seems like the only way I can watch this properly is to unfollow all other streamers so there is no possibility for spoilers. I understand the reason for the open streaming but it seems to have had some bad unintended consequences unfortunately.
Curious, are standard tournaments like KotD also "ruined" for you, because they are streamed when the games are played?
Casting live games is kind of a standard way of organizing tournaments, and when Escape decided to forbid players from streaming so that they can do it on predefined weekdays it was something rather unique

May 30, 2018
Curious, are standard tournaments like KotD also "ruined" for you, because they are streamed when the games are played?
Casting live games is kind of a standard way of organizing tournaments, and when Escape decided to forbid players from streaming so that they can do it on predefined weekdays it was something rather unique
I think there is a difference as The Kotd matches were still scheduled in a rigid way to have series follow on from each other and were played in a specific time window during Friday-Sunday. ECL games seem to be played at random times during the week so are harder to follow. I guess it's great for individual communities but for someone wanting to follow it on the escape channel it's quite difficult.

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Was hoping to watch the 1v1 semis and finals but i already know the results from twitter posts and twitch stream notifications. Seems like the only way I can watch this properly is to unfollow all other streamers so there is no possibility for spoilers. I understand the reason for the open streaming but it seems to have had some bad unintended consequences unfortunately.
At the time of semis Escape stream was live but they were doing community games for 100 viewers while T90, Memb, Nili casted the semis live for 2.5k+ viewers. Escape guys have studio now so they can easily cover games.

For some people like you it might suck but overall its a better solution. Players and viewers can now at least talk about games rather than having to wait till eternity..

Last edited:

Unknownorangereaper

Aug 21, 2014
For the recent ECL 1v1 Semis and GF, I went out of my way to avoid certain streams and threads. Found the right videos on YT to enjoy the games. (Yinghua castle delete was epic :tongue:)

For ECL, I do prefer the weekend rec-cast with expert opinions plus 3k+ viewers to enjoy with. Definitely certain things could be improved like showing draft, post match review etc. But rec-cast didn't dilute the experience any bit.

I also equally enjoyed KOTD2/NAC2 for their live games and on the spot hype etc.

I think both the casting models can co-exist and be both monetarily viable and still continue to genenrate interest among viewers.

Irelanddooog

Mar 3, 2018
Don't really understand why some people have a problem with ECL being cast live, for the majority of viewers this is a welcome change. If it's a time constraint thing why not just pick a streamer and watch their VOD of the live cast when its convenient, or wait for Escape to do their usual weekend omnibus.

Unless it's about chatting in twitchchat? but I don't understand those people either

Aug 12, 2018
It might be casting rules change or the South East Asia Map Pack but i watched every ECL Series till now but watched only 1/2 hour of South East Asia phase. Its not like i am doing something productive. I am watching old AoE2 vids but i just dont want to see ECL currently. Lets hope it is because of map pack but it could be because of casting rules changes.

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
Is there a live (really live) bracket of the current ECL event somewhere? I dont mind ECL being live and/or recorded, but I think this in-between thingy is kind of confusing to follow, as you basically see from the scheduled matches who won the previous round if you do your detective work, but the ECL brackets are only updated a long time later.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
Is there a live (really live) bracket of the current ECL event somewhere? I dont mind ECL being live and/or recorded, but I think this in-between thingy is kind of confusing to follow, as you basically see from the scheduled matches who won the previous round if you do your detective work, but the ECL brackets are only updated a long time later.

I usually check a VOD from Nili, he always shows a live bracket in the end.

I think this stage was a bit of an unfortunate combination of being the first event to be live-streamed while also the escape casting schedule was spread over a longer period of time - don't know why they didn't do their normal 2 weekend casting schedule but spread it over 3 weeks. In my opinion this led to the difference between live and the escape cast being so large

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
I usually check a VOD from Nili, he always shows a live bracket in the end.

I think this stage was a bit of an unfortunate combination of being the first event to be live-streamed while also the escape casting schedule was spread over a longer period of time - don't know why they didn't do their normal 2 weekend casting schedule but spread it over 3 weeks. In my opinion this led to the difference between live and the escape cast being so large
If we did the 2 weekend casting there would've been an even larger difference between live and recs, as you would have to wait until after the Ro16 & Ro8 are finished before those recs are streamed.
That is, during the semis/final weekend the Ro16 would be casted on saturday and the Ro8 on sunday.

May 1, 2017
I was much more hyped before the rule change that allowed everyone to stream live than I am now. It was perfect for me before that because I can't watch all games live due to constrains in real life.
Before everyone criticises me, I am happy for all other viewers who want to see games live and same for casters that earn more by casting games live.
The biggest issue for me is that you cannot avoid getting spoiled, unless you unsubscribe from all sources. For example, I follow a lot of AOE youtube creators/casters and just based on the title of the video, you can see who for example made it to the finals in the current 1v1 tournament and I am not so interested in a game when I know the result in advance. Of course I could always unsubscribe, but I want to at least keep in touch in what's going on in community.

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
It was perfect for me before that because I can't watch all games live due to constrains in real life.
You can still watch on youtube.

Specially with the studio and having 3/4 casters there it should be super easy for escape to cover games but its their choice to not cover games live.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017
Poland
I feel like Bo3 series are too short to be covered live as a single event, can be over in less than an hour. If you're late, might as well start with a VoD. The tournament was designed with an idea of streaming series together, i still prefer watching games back-to-back on EscapeTv streams, but then spoilers are unvoidable, people talk about games in twitch streams. Bo5 for the first round would be better as a live stream IMO, then perhaps Bo7 in semis and bo9 in the finals. But of course, then EscapeTV would have to cover games live too.

May 30, 2018
For the recent ECL 1v1 Semis and GF, I went out of my way to avoid certain streams and threads. Found the right videos on YT to enjoy the games. (Yinghua castle delete was epic :tongue:)

For ECL, I do prefer the weekend rec-cast with expert opinions plus 3k+ viewers to enjoy with. Definitely certain things could be improved like showing draft, post match review etc. But rec-cast didn't dilute the experience any bit.

I also equally enjoyed KOTD2/NAC2 for their live games and on the spot hype etc.

I think both the casting models can co-exist and be both monetarily viable and still continue to genenrate interest among viewers.
Absolutely. But can they be
I was much more hyped before the rule change that allowed everyone to stream live than I am now. It was perfect for me before that because I can't watch all games live due to constrains in real life.
Before everyone criticises me, I am happy for all other viewers who want to see games live and same for casters that earn more by casting games live.
The biggest issue for me is that you cannot avoid getting spoiled, unless you unsubscribe from all sources. For example, I follow a lot of AOE youtube creators/casters and just based on the title of the video, you can see who for example made it to the finals in the current 1v1 tournament and I am not so interested in a game when I know the result in advance. Of course I could always unsubscribe, but I want to at least keep in touch in what's going on in community.
Thanks for saying so eloquently what i was ttying to describe.

Mar 12, 2018
Voobly
liverpoolgamer
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Don't really understand why some people have a problem with ECL being cast live, for the majority of viewers this is a welcome change. If it's a time constraint thing why not just pick a streamer and watch their VOD of the live cast when its convenient, or wait for Escape to do their usual weekend omnibus.

Unless it's about chatting in twitchchat? but I don't understand those people either
majority? i believe majority preferred weekend streams.

Mar 12, 2018
Voobly
liverpoolgamer
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
But not as recorded. Live in weekend is the dream, I think most of us can agree with that.
i didnt mind whether it was live or not as long as the results were not spoiled. What matters to me is the production quality with low downtime. but now i will settle for weekend finals or something but dream is to go back to how things were + some better introduction about map picks and civ picks.

Right now it is complete chaos but its understandable being the first live stage.

United StatesJoshuaR

Known Member
Oct 11, 2013
This is really the worst of all worlds... for Escape. Thinking in the business sense, how does this help them at all? Now instead of 1-4k viewers... they get 500. Now instead of doing a poor job of hyping the weekend events, they aren't hyping at all.

Personally, I don't really care. Now I have two options to watch on twitch. But it seems odd from the tournament organization perspective.

Finlandkalkkaro

Aug 25, 2017
What matters to me is the production quality with low downtime.
Understandable view point. For me, in any sport, being in the same time with players makes me feel being in the middle of action, future is undecided and I'm first to witness it. I may watch records afterwards for being curious but It won't give me the same thrill and tension. Also I rather see the action as raw as possible than someone "cleaning" it for me. I'm fine having to wait after faults, goals, etc.. in football or laps behind Safety Car in Formula 1, same goes to let say restarts in Aoc. Even if it's not live, those details are part of the whole picture - Why restart was called? How the game was played before restart? Should it really be restart? How this restart will affect to the whole series?

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
The main issue here seems to be not being able to avoid spoilers for viewers wanting to watch the games on the weekend. Maybe a compromise can be made by live casters not including names of the players in their titles on twitch and youtube and only having the tournament / round number instead at least until the weekend srream has been run. Is that unreasonable?

SpainMembTV

Two handed swordman
Aug 17, 2011
www.twitch.tv
From now on i will put just ECL LIVE in my title, and when i put on youtube i will put ECL South East Asia 3v3 Series #1, this is what i can do to do not spoil. After they broadcast the games on the weekend i will change the titles on youtube, also i won´t add thumbnails till they broadcast.

Also i won´t share in socials any team, just something like IM LIVE WITH ECL 3v3 SouthEast Asia... something like that.

I can´t do more to help with the spoiler thing.

Still any tournament live is much better than recorded games, but need to work on it ofc.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Hidden Cup 2 Qualification Final
Wednesday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
dogao vs LaaaaaN
DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2