Hidden Cup 2 | Announcement

1551055421774.png

After the incredible success of the first AoE2 Hidden Cup, I am proud to announce Hidden Cup 2! Together with Microsoft, the event has a prizepool of $10,200, and will include 16 of the best players in the world.

In the Hidden Cup 2 casters, players, and viewers will be unaware of player identities until the tournament is completed. Players can no longer prepare for who their opponent will be in the next round. Instead, they have to be on their "A game" and adapt to their unknown challenger's playstyle. Higher skilled players no longer have an easy ride to the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There is no knowing how difficult a task each round will be as their opponents are completely random. This puts greater emphasis on preparation, strategy and of course... mind games!

Hidden Cup 2 Rules & Settings
Hidden Cup 2 Sign Ups

Hidden Cup 1 certainly provided some amazing games and results ( See the results here.) Shockingly, TaToH, DauT, Yo, and Vivi all lost in Round 1! Miguel had an insane showing, beating DauT in Round 1 and Liereyy in Round 2. Riut played fantastic, beating Yo in R1 and losing to MbL in the final game of their semi-final series. Then in an exciting finish, TheViper and MbL gave us a fantastic finals! Hidden Cup #2 will feature 16 players this time. The top 14 sign-ups are guaranteed a spot, and the 15th-30th rated sign ups will compete in a 16 man qualifier for the final position. The event promises even more excitement and upsets!

Hidden Cup 2 participants will randomly be given accounts to mask their identity throughout the tournament. This identity will be kept to themselves until the users are revealed at the conclusion of the event. The usernames will be: BledaTheHun, GodsOwnSling, HrolfTheGanger, JoanOfArc, KingAlfonso, Nobunuga, Tamerlane, WillyWallace, AttilaTheHun, El_Cid, ErikTheRed, GenghisKhan, LaHire, OrnluTheWolf, RobinHood, Subotai. For TheViper's sake, let's hope he doesn't get the Joan account!

Additionally, players will play using a custom Userpatch (https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1139/v15-RC-Anonymous) which will do the following:

- no multiplayer game setup ping display
- no save/vote panel ping display
- no yellow/red/turtle lag indicators

This will further mask the identity of each player, and add to the confusion contestants might experience. Thanks so much to scripter for working on this masterpiece!

Prizepool & Contributors

Total Prize Pool - $10,200

1st - $3,000
2nd - $2,000
3rd/4th - $1,000
5-8th - $600
9-16th - $100

Contributors
Microsoft - $5,000
T90Official - $2,700
LeglessAlex - $2,500

Big thanks to Microsoft and LeglessAlex for the huge support! Anyone who would like to contribute to the prizepool will be credited and can do so here. Anyone who would like to contribute towards T90Official's costs towards prizepool, graphics, admins etc will also be credited and can do so here here. Pleasure ensure to write your username so you can be credited!

Streaming Policy

Due to the nature of this event players are not allowed to stream their POV on any streaming website. Failure to comply will result in potential ban and replacement. Players are also asked to refrain from streaming altogether on April 13th and 14th.

Hidden Cup 2 is completely open for casters. From casters to viewers, the goal is to have as many people enjoying Hidden Cup 2 as possible. Casters are expected to have the Hidden Cup 2 tournament banner visible on their overlays. However, in efforts to make this even easier for casters the tournament banner will be available in different color options. This is so channels can use a banner that matches their overlays, which will increase the production quality across the board for this event. This banner will slightly differ from the AoEZone banner and will be available soon. Additionally, all broadcasters of the event will be thanked publicly for their involvement on every day of the main event on T90Official's channel. Casters interested in being involved should PM robo on aoezone for access.

The event is streamed over four days at 13GMT every day. Days 1-3 use recorded games and the final day is live. Further info can be found in the settings for this tournament.

There will be prediction & guessing contests for this event. More info will be announced closer to the start of the event, so stay tuned!

Qualified Players

cn Mr_Yo​
no MbL40C​
no TheViper​
at Liereyy​
fi TheMax​
ca Hera_​
ar Nicov​
rs DauT​
vn BacT​
es TaToH​
fi Villese​
cn Tim​
cn Vivi​
vn ACCM​

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Has heartt really retired from AOC, I don't see his name in signups. off-late he has missed quite a few big 1v1 events. Last big one was KOTD1 in which he had a very good showing.

GermanyToom03

May 30, 2015
Voobly
Toom03
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Has heartt really retired from AOC, I don't see his name in signups. off-late he has missed quite a few big 1v1 events. Last big one was KOTD1 in which he had a very good showing.
he said he doesnt enjoy playing 1v1 that much anymore. He prefers tgs.

Jun 26, 2018
he said he doesnt enjoy playing 1v1 that much anymore. He prefers tgs.
Vaaat? How can anyone enjoy tg's? 1v1 ara is AoE2 at its purest most raw form.

tg's get polluted by what your teammates did or didn't do. It's fine if you train as a team, as a unit executing plans and strategies like how Chinese teams do their teamwall or some kind of sling scenario, but to enjoy random tg's that has no rhyme or reason, I honestly don't understand the enjoyment one gets out of that.

Just sounds like he can't take his 1v1 to the next level and is quitting.

ItalyKamigawa

Nov 12, 2014
Col San Martino
Voobly
Kamigawa
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Vaaat? How can anyone enjoy tg's? 1v1 ara is AoE2 at its purest most raw form.

tg's get polluted by what your teammates did or didn't do. It's fine if you train as a team, as a unit executing plans and strategies like how Chinese teams do their teamwall or some kind of sling scenario, but to enjoy random tg's that has no rhyme or reason, I honestly don't understand the enjoyment one gets out of that.

Just sounds like he can't take his 1v1 to the next level and is quitting.
Hmmm, what about playing tgs with Friends? Dont u think that could be more fun than 1v1s?

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
Last edited:

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Had a nice chat with the huge spanish Youtuber Mario Ovalle today!! He is on board to cast Hidden Cup 2 and was very grateful for the open streaming! It feels great to know he will be broadcasting the event for our community.

Thevasilisk, Robert_Ulrich, and SilentWarrior are also signed up as casters! Exciting to see so far.

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Exciting qualifiers! I'm frickin' pumped for this!

i predict terror will rek jordan easy (kappa)

will the qualifiers be streamed?
I'll be streaming every single qualifier for this event, and it's also open streaming if you prefer to watch any other channel. The AoEZone calendar shows the times of each matchup and the streamers that will be taking part!

GermanyMichaerbse

Oct 14, 2017
a) its part of the mind games, you can pretend to have bad english, or ask someone to translate for you to appear better

b) they can pm me instead and I can pass the information on which removes any language issues.
I don't think there will be any issue if the players actively try to hide their identity. Yet if some players just don't bother too much they can still reveal quite a bit through scheduling.

Semi-serious suggestion: How about making a small part of the prize money dependent on how many viewers guess your identity wrong, e.g. the one who is guessed correctly the least gets an additional $100? :wink:
Of course it shouldn't be worth it for Viper to lose the first round just to make everyone guess wrongly...

Oct 8, 2010
Last time Viper said on stream that he was defeated (thus angered T90 a little bit). Can players discuss their involvements at this event at all?

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Last time Viper said on stream that he was defeated (thus angered T90 a little bit). Can players discuss their involvements at this event at all?
They cannot. Players forfeit half of their prize money if identities are shared amongst each other. This includes clanmates etc. I will be speaking with each player personally about this :D

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
They cannot. Players forfeit half of their prize money if identities are shared amongst each other. This includes clanmates etc. I will be speaking with each player personally about this :D

What about trolls, like Viper did last time? Is it forbidden as well to give wrong information?

NorwaySinken

Apr 22, 2013
Voobly
BuzZ_Sinken
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Sorry if I missed this being discussed earlier... but is there really a point in hiding pings when players can just do /ping in the voobly game room anyway?

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 3v3 Semi Final
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 3v3 Semi Final
DeZu's showmatch $100 TheYo vs Lyx, full 7 games
Saturday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
TheYo vs Lyx showmatch
Bluewolf Showmatch ($10) Episode 2