Hidden Cup 2 | Announcement

1551055421774.png

After the incredible success of the first AoE2 Hidden Cup, I am proud to announce Hidden Cup 2! Together with Microsoft, the event has a prizepool of $10,200, and will include 16 of the best players in the world.

In the Hidden Cup 2 casters, players, and viewers will be unaware of player identities until the tournament is completed. Players can no longer prepare for who their opponent will be in the next round. Instead, they have to be on their "A game" and adapt to their unknown challenger's playstyle. Higher skilled players no longer have an easy ride to the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There is no knowing how difficult a task each round will be as their opponents are completely random. This puts greater emphasis on preparation, strategy and of course... mind games!

Hidden Cup 2 Rules & Settings
Hidden Cup 2 Sign Ups

Hidden Cup 1 certainly provided some amazing games and results ( See the results here.) Shockingly, TaToH, DauT, Yo, and Vivi all lost in Round 1! Miguel had an insane showing, beating DauT in Round 1 and Liereyy in Round 2. Riut played fantastic, beating Yo in R1 and losing to MbL in the final game of their semi-final series. Then in an exciting finish, TheViper and MbL gave us a fantastic finals! Hidden Cup #2 will feature 16 players this time. The top 14 sign-ups are guaranteed a spot, and the 15th-30th rated sign ups will compete in a 16 man qualifier for the final position. The event promises even more excitement and upsets!

Hidden Cup 2 participants will randomly be given accounts to mask their identity throughout the tournament. This identity will be kept to themselves until the users are revealed at the conclusion of the event. The usernames will be: BledaTheHun, GodsOwnSling, HrolfTheGanger, JoanOfArc, KingAlfonso, Nobunuga, Tamerlane, WillyWallace, AttilaTheHun, El_Cid, ErikTheRed, GenghisKhan, LaHire, OrnluTheWolf, RobinHood, Subotai. For TheViper's sake, let's hope he doesn't get the Joan account!

Additionally, players will play using a custom Userpatch (https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1139/v15-RC-Anonymous) which will do the following:

- no multiplayer game setup ping display
- no save/vote panel ping display
- no yellow/red/turtle lag indicators

This will further mask the identity of each player, and add to the confusion contestants might experience. Thanks so much to scripter for working on this masterpiece!

Prizepool & Contributors

Total Prize Pool - $10,200

1st - $3,000
2nd - $2,000
3rd/4th - $1,000
5-8th - $600
9-16th - $100

Contributors
Microsoft - $5,000
T90Official - $2,700
LeglessAlex - $2,500

Big thanks to Microsoft and LeglessAlex for the huge support! Anyone who would like to contribute to the prizepool will be credited and can do so here. Anyone who would like to contribute towards T90Official's costs towards prizepool, graphics, admins etc will also be credited and can do so here here. Pleasure ensure to write your username so you can be credited!

Streaming Policy

Due to the nature of this event players are not allowed to stream their POV on any streaming website. Failure to comply will result in potential ban and replacement. Players are also asked to refrain from streaming altogether on April 13th and 14th.

Hidden Cup 2 is completely open for casters. From casters to viewers, the goal is to have as many people enjoying Hidden Cup 2 as possible. Casters are expected to have the Hidden Cup 2 tournament banner visible on their overlays. However, in efforts to make this even easier for casters the tournament banner will be available in different color options. This is so channels can use a banner that matches their overlays, which will increase the production quality across the board for this event. This banner will slightly differ from the AoEZone banner and will be available soon. Additionally, all broadcasters of the event will be thanked publicly for their involvement on every day of the main event on T90Official's channel. Casters interested in being involved should PM robo on aoezone for access.

The event is streamed over four days at 13GMT every day. Days 1-3 use recorded games and the final day is live. Further info can be found in the settings for this tournament.

There will be prediction & guessing contests for this event. More info will be announced closer to the start of the event, so stay tuned!

Qualified Players

cn Mr_Yo​
no MbL40C​
no TheViper​
at Liereyy​
fi TheMax​
ca Hera_​
ar Nicov​
rs DauT​
vn BacT​
es TaToH​
fi Villese​
cn Tim​
cn Vivi​
vn ACCM​

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
Sorry if I missed this being discussed earlier... but is there really a point in hiding pings when players can just do /ping in the voobly game room anyway?
1) T90 said he was talking to voobly about getting a custom lobby without that feature
2) Even if that wouldn't work, using /ping would still require an active choice by the players to do that, while the ping displayed on screen can't be overlooked, so it might help a bit anyways

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Sorry if I missed this being discussed earlier... but is there really a point in hiding pings when players can just do /ping in the voobly game room anyway?
I have spoken to Voobly and they are working on a separate lobby which would remove this feature. Hoping it gets done. In that conversation I was told that /ping is not an accurate representation of ping anyhow, but obviously would be good to remove it!

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Hidden Cup 2 Maps have been updated slightly to make the following changes.

Snow terrains were removed from Scandinavia, El Dorado, and Bay.
Rooster was slightly changed to fix bad gold/stone spawns.
Acropolis now has fairer gold/stone generations to prevent imbalances.

This should autoupdate for all players that have downloaded the mod, but if you are in need of a redownload the pack you can do so here .

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Snow terrains were removed from Scandinavia, El Dorado, and Bay.
Why were snow terrains removed, instead of just letting players and casters use a no snow mod? I imagine some casters or viewers might prefer having snow, and keeping the terrains wouldn't prevent players from choosing whether to have them or to turn them off.

I know snow terrains can be really hard to see, just wondering why they are being removed from the maps themselves, rather than just letting users choose whether or not to see them with a visual mod. I don't think I've seen that done before.

SwedenAlgernonR

Sep 29, 2016
Sweden
Voobly
AlgernonR
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
For Bay in particular the winter version uses Ice terrain which with no-snow terrain makes it appear bugged - this is what caused 2 restarts in the set between Twigg and LaaaaN. To avoid confusion for players using the no-snow mod and for casters/viewers the winter version for Bay was removed. The other maps were edited for consistency.

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
RIP snow. I always prefer the snow versions of the maps, especially on maps where it just makes sense like Scandinavia. It’s difficult though to find streamers not using no snow mods
try looking at a bright white computer screen for 5 mins and then tell me how your eyes feel.

Switzerlandchrummi

Mar 1, 2018
Team colors are the norm so that partially color-blind people can follow the games better. I also dont like it but i think its easier to see those colors than others (well except on water maps, blue sucks there 11) so i think its a good idea to use red and blue in 1v1s.

ArgentinaNicov

Two handed swordman
Apr 27, 2012
Voobly
Nicov
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The order will be Ban A, Ban B, Pick A, Pick B, Pick A, Pick B etc. Where A is the uppermost player in the bracket.

It feels very unfair for the B player as he will have worse civs in most of the games both in qualifiers and main event. Shouldn't it be ABBAABBAAB like in most of the last 1v1 tournaments?

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I'm with you all on the colors. In the main event I would like to allow players to use mind games with color picks as well as make it less bland for the audience. That being said there are some colors that simply don't work for those that are color blind (which is more than you might think) or to easily view things on the minimap. I'll kindly ask the players in the main event to avoid certain color combinations so we can maybe have more flavor to the casts.

As for the snow, it's to save my eye sight. As kwik said, my eyes hurt if I look at snowy maps amidst casting for 6-8 hours straight. I think this is very different for those who are viewing as a more relaxed spectator, but for me as a caster it's a nightmare. Also in terms of fairness, snowy maps show footprints which can play a role on very rare occasions.

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The order will be Ban A, Ban B, Pick A, Pick B, Pick A, Pick B etc. Where A is the uppermost player in the bracket.

It feels very unfair for the B player as he will have worse civs in most of the games both in qualifiers and main event. Shouldn't it be ABBAABBAAB like in most of the last 1v1 tournaments?
We are discussing a few tweaks that will apply to the main event. You'll hear about these once the qualifier is completed.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
I'm with you all on the colors. In the main event I would like to allow players to use mind games with color picks as well as make it less bland for the audience. That being said there are some colors that simply don't work for those that are color blind (which is more than you might think) or to easily view things on the minimap. I'll kindly ask the players in the main event to avoid certain color combinations so we can maybe have more flavor to the casts.
You could at least check whether the colours the players choose work. Also, you can customize your team colors to find something more interesting than blue vs. red all the time that still works well for everybody.

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
Maybe theres something I'm missing here, but I never understood this "blue vs red so bland" thing at all (and u hear it a LOT). What are we, 8-year-olds? What in holy hell does it matter which the actual colors are, as long as they are easy to differentiate?

Of course, in this event its a bit different because of what T90 said. Maybe it would be possible to show the colors they chose in the overlay, or as said above, to at least see if the colors they chose work (even though it might not be always so simple to tell which combos give other ppl's eyes the hardest time)

United StatesT90Official

Halberdier
Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2015
United States
www.twitch.tv
Voobly
T90Official
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
You could at least check whether the colours the players choose work. Also, you can customize your team colors to find something more interesting than blue vs. red all the time that still works well for everybody.
I'm not sure if you're implying I don't check or if you're saying that I should look to when I have the opportunity in the future, but either way I ALWAYS check when I'm casting games. I might not make it very obvious because I have team colors hotkeyed, but I always look and determine if I should go team colors or chosen colors.

United StatesAlphaAndOmega

Jan 30, 2015
Minnesota
Voobly
AlphaAndOmega
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
W es
Maybe theres something I'm missing here, but I never understood this "blue vs red so bland" thing at all (and u hear it a LOT). What are we, 8-year-olds? What in holy hell does it matter which the actual colors are, as long as they are easy to differentiate?

Of course, in this event its a bit different because of what T90 said. Maybe it would be possible to show the colors they chose in the overlay, or as said above, to at least see if the colors they chose work (even though it might not be always so simple to tell which combos give other ppl's eyes the hardest time)
We play a game where randomness plays a huge factor - seeing the same thing as always is off-putting for many, including me. Of color blind people, red green is overwhelmingly the most common iirc. So just disallow this combination but otherwise let players choose their own color. Player A gets the choice of color first Kappa.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not sure if you're implying I don't check or if you're saying that I should look to when I have the opportunity in the future, but either way I ALWAYS check when I'm casting games. I might not make it very obvious because I have team colors hotkeyed, but I always look and determine if I should go team colors or chosen colors.
I did not know whether you checked or not, and was voicing a wish that you do that in the future - if you do that anyways, that is perfect!

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Bluewolf Showmatch ($10) Episode 2
Saturday 12:30 (GMT +01:00)
TheHappyBoar vs PaperHades
DeZu's showmatch $100 TheYo vs Lyx, full 7 games
Saturday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
TheYo vs Lyx showmatch
ECL South East Asia 3v3 Ro8