SYNC_ Map Feedback

UnknownSiFly

Known Member
Jul 11, 2012
Re: SY Nations Cup 2017 - Rules & Settings Q&A

It's come to my attention that Arena only had 1 boar on it - I guess this is what happens when you have only 1 week to make 30+ maps whilst working full-time and don't have time to properly test the maps before the release for public testing :lol: Before the tournament starts the maps will be thoroughly tested and a version 2 map pack will be released. This will include any necessary fixes and some improvements for scaling between 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 modes, as when creating the maps I only had time to look at 3v3 and 4v4 generations.

Please do submit any feedback or link to any test games. I've already had some great feedback from Teutonic Tanks to improve Rooster in particular, and been able to make some improvements to Nomad's 2v2 generations after Slam streamed some games on it last night.

In the meantime, if you want to use the NC version of Arena with the correct 2 boars then please download the below:
Islands spawns deepfish next to the shoreline, so you can scout them easily with scout for perfect dock placement. I'm not sure if this is intended or you rather keep it like normally on watermaps (multiple layers of water).

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013

It's come to my attention that Arena only had 1 boar on it - I guess this is what happens when you have only 1 week to make 30+ maps whilst working full-time and don't have time to properly test the maps before the release for public testing :lol: Before the tournament starts the maps will be thoroughly tested and a version 2 map pack will be released. This will include any necessary fixes and some improvements for scaling between 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 modes, as when creating the maps I only had time to look at 3v3 and 4v4 generations.

Please do submit any feedback or link to any test games. I've already had some great feedback from Teutonic Tanks to improve Rooster in particular, and been able to make some improvements to Nomad's 2v2 generations after Slam streamed some games on it last night.

In the meantime, if you want to use the NC version of Arena with the correct 2 boars then please download the below:
Islands spawns deepfish next to the shoreline, so you can scout them easily with scout for perfect dock placement. I'm not sure if this is intended or you rather keep it like normally on watermaps (multiple layers of water).
Ty. The idea is to make it so back areas do still have some deep fish in them but I still need to go over the water mixing and what fish are placed on what type of water on some maps.

GermanySkittle

Sep 4, 2010

Tanks could edit the map and make 400 shorefish and 350 deer for each player instead - oh wait, that map already exists :o-o:

Jul 9, 2012

It indeed spawned big fish next to shoreline on Watermaps, which makes it so that you could take the deep fish with villagers too.
Don't think that is intended for sure?

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013

It was a typo in the script, I already found it and fixed it for the final version 2 release :lol: Meant to be two. Limb took screenies of the maps on a Sunday morning and the 6 boars weren't there then, somehow I introduced that error into the script between Sunday morning and Sunday evening when I was racing to release the maps for public testing 11

GermanynC_Andorin

Known Member
Oct 22, 2010
www.rts-league.org
Re: SY Nations Cup 2017 - Map Feedback

Sadly I can't open the maps at the moment, so I have a few questions. :smile:

Is Team Acropolis fair now? Usually one team could wall of the entire back and be safe while the other team had to wall much more or couldn't wall the back at all. Also sometimes one team had safe wood in the back.

Does nC@Valley still contain mass resources in the middle or is it changed?

Thanks!

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013

I was working on that issue with TA, not sure if it's perfect yet but it's at least improved, I'll go over it again before release that's for sure.

Valley is being modified as well. Gonna be a more open map around the player bases, and the middle will be a bit less dense in terms of the resources and fish ponds, with a bit more space to build and a larger area in total.

Jun 21, 2014

Pls specify the changes of LN, we just played one and the boars and deer are different.

Is it intended? I like the old one better...

GermanySkittle

Sep 4, 2010

Idling at the dock until feudal is a common strat <3
Could you post the changes you made on LN?

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013

LN:

- slightly normalised distances to spots
- still 8 deer close to spot
- still 4 boars linked to your spot
- forests and cliffs reduced to be a tiny bit more open

The difference with the boars is that there are 4 single boars instead of 1 + a 3-pack.

Previously you had 1 close to medium boar (14-18 tiles) and the 3-pack could spawn between close and very far from spot (between 13-30 tiles), which would make a big difference if one player had a 3-pack at 13 tiles on a diagonal axis and their direct opponent (on flank, let's say) had their 3-pack at 30 tiles on a vertical/horizontal axis, which makes them spawn even further away.

Now the boars are split into 2 close-medium (13-19) boars and 2 medium-far boars (20-26) tiles. Standard boar distance from TC on almost every other map is 16-22 (give or take one tile) so there is nothing unusual about the boars here, it's just different to most LN versions (ignoring 5b 11).

Overall I believe the effect is to reduce the luck factor and the potential to lame all of an enemy's boars whilst encouraging the need to scout to find the boars, none of which are particularly far away on a map where you are usually doing insane amounts of sheep scouting before you even have your TC up.

Franceedie

Two handed swordman
May 9, 2013

LN:

- slightly normalised distances to spots
- still 8 deer close to spot
- still 4 boars linked to your spot
- forests and cliffs reduced to be a tiny bit more open

The difference with the boars is that there are 4 single boars instead of 1 + a 3-pack.

Previously you had 1 close to medium boar (14-18 tiles) and the 3-pack could spawn between close and very far from spot (between 13-30 tiles), which would make a big difference if one player had a 3-pack at 13 tiles on a diagonal axis and their direct opponent (on flank, let's say) had their 3-pack at 30 tiles on a vertical/horizontal axis, which makes them spawn even further away.

Now the boars are split into 2 close-medium (13-19) boars and 2 medium-far boars (20-26) tiles. Standard boar distance from TC on almost every other map is 16-22 (give or take one tile) so there is nothing unusual about the boars here, it's just different to most LN versions (ignoring 5b 11).

Overall I believe the effect is to reduce the luck factor and the potential to lame all of an enemy's boars whilst encouraging the need to scout to find the boars, none of which are particularly far away on a map where you are usually doing insane amounts of sheep scouting before you even have your TC up.
In the LN i played it was more like 4+4 deers and not 8, not exactly the same

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013

Yeah that's true, but I actually made the deer better for players. Previously it was a pack of 8 which was 11-16 tiles, now it's a pack of 4 which is max 10 tiles and a pack of 4 which is max 15 tiles. So all your deer are less than the maximum distance they could be before.

edit: if it helps with familiarity though I'll make a pack of 8 which is a standard distance of about 10 tiles from the centre of the spot

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013

http://www.voobly.com/match/view/15771289
here accm team got way more gold, idk if its normal for this map
That's a pretty unfortunate generation. I've made some significant changes to Team Acropolis since the v1 and I'll take another look at enforcing gold spacing now. It suffers from some of the same problems as Arena does where the middle water is actually a 'land', like the middle area in Arena, which can lead to some strange behaviour with neutral gold placements.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ToA Swiss R3: Is this REALLY happening?
Monday 13:00 (GMT +02:00)
Wondrous+klavskis vs Vinchester+Keif
ToA Swiss R3: Fight for Gold Bracket
Monday 20:00 (GMT +02:00)
Modri+Hera vs pete_martell+GoldenEnd+Kamigawa
REDcup high: Semifinals