NAC2 - Wishlist

United Statesjive36

May 19, 2018
A bunch of the technical issues got worked out by the end of NAC 1, but having players actually prepare their hotkey files ahead of time would be huge for the first few rounds of the tournament (understanding that Nili has little control over that).

Seems like a bunch of other commenters did not like the civ/map draft the way it was. I absolutely love watching it on stream so two thoughts.
1. Just having a timer and if the timer hits zero the opponent gets to make the pick. It sounded like the Secret guys (except Daut) had plans going into each matchup so having a timer should keep things moving.
2. Split the players up for the civ draft have one in the gaming room with T90 and one in the casting room with Nili, only let the players hear what the caster in their room is saying. This way you could still ask strategy questions during/after the draft and it is kept from the other player.

I loved the instant replay aspect, and having more experience using it will only improve the viewer experience.

I think shortening the series from Bo7 to Bo5 is a good idea. Even though I love seeing more game I think shortening the series length is necessary with the expanded field.

Limit the number of times during NAC a player can use a civ, at least during the round robin section. It might need to be thought out if this should be "use" or "pick". Depending on use/pick it would change the limit but it would promote play with different civs and not just the same 5 all the time. It also adds a bit of strategy if you want to use a specific civ in a particular matchup you need to hang on to them. (It also would be a lot to keep track of so it might not be plausible).

I think trying to coordinate with Memb, T90 and others to take some of the workload off Nili would be great. This is a ton of work to make an amazing event and you should get to enjoy it too. NAC 1 was my favorite event since I came back to the game last year and I'm very excited for NAC 2.

Mar 30, 2013
I personally would like to see one long distance watermap, with long distance i mean something like islands, migration, pacific_islands, achipelago (not medi or team_islands, where it will be only short distance and therefore ppl will always stick to fires-only and never switch to normal galleys). In long-distance watermaps i'm sure you gonna see the standart-galley microwars like in aoc, with some dark-age landing action as well, and maybe some special strats including UU ships.
Else some non-tc start maps like something with LN or Nomad start could be interesting as well.

Nepalarchxeon

Known Member
Jan 6, 2014
Think Jordan should've been made to qualify too. It's just been way too long since we've seen him playing at or near the the top level...
I think it is unfair to single him out. Lets just look at the accomplishments on the last tourney and afterwards.
NAC:
1. Viper (won)
2. Lierrey
3. MBL
4. Tatoh
5. Jordan
6. DauT
Viper won the last tournament, so I guess he should be automatic in. And he has also won another big 1v1 and won 4v4 event along with Tatoh, Daut and Jordan (not on bench). Lierrey got second so maybe it could be extended to him as well.
Even without all the advantages of him being nearby, helping a LOT out with casting, language etc. What have some of the others done that sets them a lot further apart from him since the last tournament? Yes we haven't seen him play much lately in rated games. And if there was a certain criteria that he didn't meet that others met, then it would be fair. The choices are made by Nili based on his reasons. To me he prepared and played pretty well for the last event. So, there is not much reason to single him out.

United StatesGeneralZuma

Oct 4, 2017
USA
Voobly
GeneralZuma
View profile
Ladder
RM - Beginners
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
One thing to think about is especially in 1v1 or 2v2 tournaments, often teams don't have to go to the well and use less strong civilizations. Of course you can always ban more civilizations, but I think it could be interesting to do a reverse draft. You draft civlizations for your opponent instead of yourself. I don't think you'd want the ENTIRE NAC to be that way, because then you would have the reverse problem of only seeing the lesser tiers of civs and not the high tier ones. but maybe in the groupstage round you could do the reverse draft and then in the regular series, do the regular sort.

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Bunch of suggestions for NAC2

- After the intro session start with a show match 3v3/4v4. Show match at the end doesn’t work great because everyone is thinking about the end of event already.

- Jordan should qualify for same reasons as Daut.

- Swiss format for determining top 4 and then single elimination for last 4. Draw the next round Swiss matches live on stream, adds to anticipation. Baring the elimination matches all matches BO1, elimination matches BO3. Semi BO5, Final BO7

- Extra 2 playing PCs so in total 4. The next pair can already setup while previous ones are playing to avoid delays.

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
What are the same reasons?
For Daut the reasons are that he is not practicing enough, is not in top shape etc so by that Jordan is even worse than Daut. At current level Daut will kill Jordan. Additionally Daut has done much better in ECL games.

If current form & shape is the criteria then Daut is better than Jordan, both are not in their top shape though and also both are not actively trying hard either.

GermanyFlow

Known Member
Mar 21, 2017
For Daut the reasons are that he is not practicing enough, is not in top shape etc so by that Jordan is even worse than Daut. At current level Daut will kill Jordan. Additionally Daut has done much better in ECL games.

If current form & shape is the criteria then Daut is better than Jordan, both are not in their top shape though and also both are not actively trying hard either.
But the reason is Dauts behaviour during NAC 1. Not current form.
At least to my understanding

Nepalarchxeon

Known Member
Jan 6, 2014

If current form & shape is the criteria then DauT is better than Jordan, both are not in their top shape though and also both are not actively trying hard either.
I thought it was just because he didn't take it seriously and prepare. Jordan did. So its not the exact same reasons. How do you judge current shape? Tournament wins? Rated games? For tournaments, I made the case above. If its rated games , I guess Vivi, TheMax and Yo (who declined) should be invited before everyone except MBL and Tatoh.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany

Current form and shape is not the criteria in this case at all. The only reason nili mentioned was, how Daut didn't take the whole thing serious and performed extremely bad, while Jordan took it really serious and contributet a lot (in front of the camera and behind the scenes)
Daut was late several time (according to nili) as well.
Daut hasn't done much better than Jordan in ECL, he was very important in BoA but not that much in ECL so far, as he didn't play that much. It's basicly only the 4v4 stage where you can compare both players, and Jordan has a different role than Daut, who most of the time takes the "Carry" role while Jordan is there to support the others with meat units.
As far as I know Jordan is mainly playing training games with Secret and never misses any sessions (according to TaToH).

Nepalarchxeon

Known Member
Jan 6, 2014
Sorry for straying away from topic.

Here are some on-topic:
  • What did you like about NAC1?
Interactions between players, casters etc. Getting to see reactions. Professional setup. Relatively smooth.

• What did you misslike about NAC1?
Nothing much. Maybe just some delays. That will probably be improved. 5v4v3v2v1 system also could be improved.
  • What should stay the same from NAC1 to NAC2?
Civ/Map picks. People have said its too long. I kinda find it interesting and it also gives time to set up things behind the scenes.
  • What should cahnge from NAC1 to NAC2?
Format will probably change as there are more players. Settings so even more civs would be used. Also, new season.. more new maps. Possible to use actual cameras instead of webcams for the casters?

Sep 6, 2014
Voobly
Taufa_Ahau
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I enjoyed NAC1 a lot. I am a follower of the AoE community for a long time yet silent :smile:

I am really looking forward the see how the meet-up unfolds, as it is very tempting to enjoy some of the fun and talk to other AoE enthousiasts!

So, i would really like early info on the non-competitive part of the Cup to be able to schedule work/travel/stay :smile:

GL & thanks already man!

CanadaNuclearPasta

Known Member
Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Voobly
NuclearPasta
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
What I liked:
The map and civ drafts done on stream
The casting from the players in the tournament (Jordan's casting especially was great, you regular casters could have some real competition on your hands)
Fairly wide choice in maps, specifically more water maps than we usually see in tournaments

What I didn't like:
Technical issues should have been checked and taken care of before hand, specifically the issue with hotkeys which seemed a pretty consistent issue
Being at the same time as a big sporting event. I don't closely follow sports, so whenever sports came up during stream (which was quite often) I didn't really care
My personal life was too busy to catch all of it, 11

What I want to see changed:
New maps for sure
More player interviews before and after the games
Some team games would be nice, though this would be a lot more work
If we do get team games some FFA stuff could be a nice addition. KotH with pro players would be a fun watch, or some random wacky settings games

May 30, 2018
Not really sure on how to do it but I 'd also like to have the possibility for a bigger variety of civs in NAC2.
I remember that every Water Map was basically an italian mirror match. This was kinda boring over the duration of the tournament.
Maybe you could do a second civ pool of "bad" 1v1 civs like teutons, goths, byzantines... so that we see something different in general and see how player adapt to certain civs.
Or Players have to name a civ that the other guy has to use.

Also if possible and if there is enough time for it: To put more focus on the players themselfs with interviews or short videos that introduce the players beforehand.

But generally speaking if NAC 2 is like NAC 1 you do nothing wrong :D

United StatesNobody41

Jul 21, 2014
I would agree with Andrew and would not have a player like Stark in the qualifiers. Why risk the drama, and why not allow someone else the opportunity?

MexicoSouFire

Mar 11, 2011
Mexico
Daut is family man now, unlike the others, judging his behavior that was a fun trip along with hico to meet other aoe players, if we apply the same logic then when viper lost to bml he wasn't going for real.

Don't go so hard on our lord.

Also you should have more computers for playing, so we can have simultaneously games, such a streamers or guest wars.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

NAC2 - Qualifier #1 - LBro12
Sunday 16:00 (GMT +02:00)
DauT vs RiskyDice
NAC2 - Qualifier #1 - LBro12
Sunday 16:00 (GMT +02:00)
ACCM vs Zuppi
King of the Realm - Round of 8