EscapeTV Launch Event - Day 1

EscapeTV Launch Event - Day 1
Posted by GermanyEscapeAoE
TheViper, TaToH, MbL & Liereyy on LAN
Friday, January 18, 2019 - 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
Until: Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 00:00 (GMT +01:00)
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/Amsterdam)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/Amsterdam

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Streamers: @EscapeAoE

United Statesguitarizt

Jun 6, 2014
Voobly
_Catastrophe
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I saw some of the comments on discord so I was expecting much worse when I watched the vod. The place is amazing, and the zero + t90 commentary live with the players in the booth is amazing!

Jan 19, 2019
the haters crawl out of their saltmines to comment here,

you dont become a professional journalist/interviewer in a day.
the players didnt go through media training.
the people who work behind the scenes didnt do this as their job before they started with this.
buildings something as big as this is going with some difficulties and cringe,

but it is awesome to watch people who love this game so much and started it as a hobby like all of us bringing their will and vision together and giving it their all and i must say: i enjoy the interviews, brings us closer to the pro's in the scene and also the games, and funny things in between are enjoyable
Not a hater, but they need to learn from this experience and take things seriously. Difficulties and cringe is correct, but these things don't just correct themselves without focus and self reflection.

Irelanddooog

Mar 3, 2018
I don't wanna pile on the bandwagon shitting on escape, these guys are putting work in and doing their best so fair play.
Watched bits and pieces of the Saturday stream wasn't quite my cup of tea, though it did have many fun moments and highlights. The Friday... yeah I had to switch it off after about 20 minutes. Seems like an event that might be fun to be at live? but as stream content it's not quite there yet.
Anyway hopefully they iron out the kinks and get it rolling properly soon.

Just one thing to add... a shit tonne of people on twitch seemed to be clueless that this event was even happening, it wasn't well advertised at all

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Tipping point for me was when they didn't plan on having more than 1 mic and after every sentence one has to pass the mic on.

Many a times next guy started talking and 15 sec later realized ohh shit no mic. There was Audio Video lag as well.

Mar 23, 2014
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

I am aware that this is the first event that escape hosted and that the people working on it are inexperienced but even if we ignore all the technical faults like the constant sound problems, there were still so many signs of a rushed event with improper panning.

The non-aoe games are great ideas that could have made the tournament unique and fun. I was really excited to watch them but got disappointed when I realized that they didn't spend much time to think about how to make them fun for the players and twitch viewers. It felt so improvised as if they just came up with the idea a day before.
The chess games had bad camera angles which made it incredible hard to follow especially while watching the aoe game at the same time. Even the casters got confused several times.
The rules of the the drawing games were confusing. Tatoh basically won because he googled the towncenter even before the game started. Also apparently nobody explained how to play "guess who" to Liereyy and Tatoh.

The interviews were super awkward to watch. I assume the interviewers didn't have time to prepare interesting questions or didn't really watch the games.

But the biggest disappointment for me was the horrible communication between the hosts, casters and players. Nothing felt smooth and most of the time it was just not fun to watch.
This clip is just one example of many where T90 and Nili are about to announce the winner of the drawing contest when someone who is not even in the picture cuts them off by yelling the results into a mic.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlausibleSparklyHamburgerUncleNox (warning loud).

All in all it feels like a poorly organized event. And the fact that Zak said that they only had 2 weeks time to set up the whole location only proves my point that it was being rushed and done without much planning or testing.

This is not hate, I only want to express my disappointment.

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

I am aware that this is the first event that escape hosted and that the people working on it are inexperienced but even if we ignore all the technical faults like the constant sound problems, there were still so many signs of a rushed event with improper panning.

The non-aoe games are great ideas that could have made the tournament unique and fun. I was really excited to watch them but got disappointed when I realized that they didn't spend much time to think about how to make them fun for the players and twitch viewers. It felt so improvised as if they just came up with the idea a day before.
The chess games had bad camera angles which made it incredible hard to follow especially while watching the aoe game at the same time. Even the casters got confused several times.
The rules of the the drawing games were confusing. Tatoh basically won because he googled the towncenter even before the game started. Also apparently nobody explained how to play "guess who" to Liereyy and Tatoh.

The interviews were super awkward to watch. I assume the interviewers didn't have time to prepare interesting questions or didn't really watch the games.

But the biggest disappointment for me was the horrible communication between the hosts, casters and players. Nothing felt smooth and most of the time it was just not fun to watch.
This clip is just one example of many where T90 and Nili are about to announce the winner of the drawing contest when someone who is not even in the picture cuts them off by yelling the results into a mic.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlausibleSparklyHamburgerUncleNox (warning loud).

All in all it feels like a poorly organized event. And the fact that Zak said that they only had 2 weeks time to set up the whole location only proves my point that it was being rushed and done without much planning or testing.

This is not hate, I only want to express my disappointment.

Fanboys reading this remember, expressing genuine disappointment is not hating.

This was a poorly organized, rushed event and getting the response accordingly. If any sponsors are looking at this for first impressions then its really bad.

Mar 26, 2018
Dissapointment is real... Everything was rushed as it seems. The couch part was really awkward. I think it will be much better in the future. Only 2 positives - Nili and t90... They were trying as much as they could.

Cringe festival all the way...things to say -> we cannot move the one of the most important tournaments of the year for something like that ( im assuming its the reason for kotd2 from previous records) this is not serious at all.

Ofc im hoping that the zakk and the crew will do much better in near future, they definitly deserve it. Anyways goodluck and hope to see quality conent because you guys sure are capable of doing this. Gl!

Czech RepublicDraCoNT

Two handed swordman
Jan 5, 2016
The event was rushed and so many things are way too improvised. Can you next time test stuff like interviews and announcements pre-live? That means prepare 30 questions and choose few best and prepare a line how the interview will go to keep it interesting, funny and reasonably short. It’s even easier with the announcements - the way to announce that AoE 3 tournament on the first day was so bad and it clearly wasn’t tested at all, because else you’d never let it that way, really felt like a bad joke. Honestly, what you really lack in this lan event is a good director, I’m not even sure if you have that role determined among the team already, but you need to have 1 main and responsible guy before and during the stream. I don’t want to be so negative, I’m very sure that next events will be so much better prepared (can’t be worse) and that you’ll produce amazing content. Gl.

Thumbs up for Nilpferd and T90, such an excellent caster duo for future events.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018
There definitely were some problems and imperfections, but I am sure that we will see mayor improvements for the next events.
And I think that, keeping in mind this is the first event of this kind for all the organizers (a normal twitch stream is quite different imo) I feel it was ok, for me the main negativ point is that the event could(should) have been communicated a bit differently beforehand, so that it would have been more clear to see mostly a fun tournament + the studio was just rushed up, so some problems to be expected.

UnknownJarvin

Jun 24, 2014
the studio was just rushed up, so some problems to be expected.
I think this is the core of the issue here.
1. The studio was rushed.
2. Even though the studio was rushed and "some problems were to be expected" it was still hyped up to the sky ceiling.
Zak announcing "we e-sports now" even though, as he should know, "some problems were to be expected" feels just.. odd and certainly not "e-sports like".
I enjoyed last 2 streams, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from Escape, but what happened over last 2 days and before, with all the hyping up and imperfect communication shouldn't be justified IMO. If you expect that the final result of what you're doing won't be perfect, then at least don't announce it as a beginning of new era for AoE - this can wait for later, when you have learnt the ropes of what you are doing.

Though all that being said, there's no point in hating on Zak or anybody from Escape team for what happened. To make a mistake is human; only to persist in a mistake is idiotic.
Pax!

Austria_balcanman

Dec 6, 2013
Honestly, what you really lack in this lan event is a good director, I’m not even sure if you have that role determined among the team already, but you need to have 1 main and responsible guy before and during the stream.
100% my words, you cannot make "TV" in that way, no camera was set up proper, the cam in the commenters box made streaks, it took minutes to notice muted sound, etc.
and where I stopped watching was the "chess" game, what is wrong with them to use that tiny board with shitty pieces that far away, its pure ignorance. And with minimum knowledge about chess someone should know that a black pawn never can stand on h8.
my conclusio is there are some guys thinking the only important things in this "TV" are their self-satisfied faces.

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015

you dont become a professional journalist/interviewer in a day.
the players didnt go through media training.
the people who work behind the scenes didnt do this as their job before they started with this.
buildings something as big as this is going with some difficulties and cringe,
Its fine to be learning, and to have some hiccups and cringe in the beginning. But unfortunately this kind of media content creation business is incredibly competitive even if you are not a full pro, with a million billion super competent amateurs constantly creating petabytes of high quality stuff all over the world. There are always some haters just hopping in for a ride on the hate bandwagon, but its also very understandable that people have high expectations. Without a very solid grasp of the basics you dont stand a chance in hell. They wont buy whatever inferior stuff just to "support aoe and good effort", like you might buy your nieces shitty homemade cookies to finance her field trip and then never actually eat them because they smell of cilantro.

Latvia8th wonder

Mar 21, 2010
Voobly
No_Re_I_Go_Eat_
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I just watched little bits here and there and not to repeat what everybody else said, but you get 4 Top players at the same time in the same place and you do the LAN, but you do some silly (dumb) settings instead of competitive play, why??? If you had serious settings, people would care on twitch and right there on the spot.
It is like in NBA they have All-Star game every year and last couple years it was a joke, 0 defense no one played seriously people didn't like it. Last year they changed the format and they competed for the first time in years it was an amazing game. When you put together some of the best players you want to see them compete and they are aoc players not born entertainers with amazing personalities that you can just let them do whatever and it is going to be fun to watch.
Also, I would advise reconsidering some of the talents you put in front of the camera, not everybody is meant to be in front of the camera even when they do amazing work behind it. One of the most important things is to find strengths in each person in your team and capitalize on it.

Jan 20, 2019
Hi all,
I've been lurking this forum and all the most important AoC streams/channels since 2013/2014. Looks like it's my first post or a comment in this community.
I'm not a fanboy (dont like this term) of any of the major figures on AoC scene. Watching and supporting all of them though.

First of all, I don't agree with a statement that there is much hate around Zak and EscapeAoE initiative. Compared to the other, similar in terms of a size (Heroes 3, Tibia), gaming communities, AoC is unique with its level of discussion and with the fact the 99% people here have the same goal - growing the game. It's the fundamental but the most important thing.

We are encountering two big AoC events:
- KotD2 which is very pro and competetive event
- NAC2 which is both competetive and entertaining event (Nili in first edition found a golden balance between those two elements)

^^^
Those 2 events could be a pattern to follow by EscapeAoE crew

After watching all the first two streams I've got following impressions.

- Everyone here, including me, wishes all the best to the newest EscapeAoE initiative. The fact that we criticize it means that we want it to be succesful event.

- Nothing was really clear and understandable both for public and players (maybe even for casters). Crowd and player's reactions has shown it. There was a big lack of some schedule and kind of rulebook for the viewers.

- We didnt clearly know what we are gonna to watch and what to expect about this and future EscapeAoE events.

- Saying 'Rome wasnt build in a dark age, chill out man' cannot be treated as the closing-discussion, 100% proof shield against all (e)sceptical voices. It often closes some really good points and lowering expectations of the one of the biggest event in AoC history.

- I couldn't catch a main goal of this event. Did it mean to be competetive? - So what was the reason for playing a chess game with illegal moves filmed with a badly-placed camera. Did it mean to be entertaining? So why bother with pro AoC games counted the same like drawing the TC contest.

- It looked like the hype was connected only with the fact that community is spending time together and the "games" were unnecessary addiction to this meeting - Tatoh admitted that no one cares about the games.
I got a feeling that casters tried to create a hype but due to the ambiguities concerning the whole event even they felt something kinda lost and odd.

- Neverending problem with cameras and microphones' sound levels and their power. If you were working (I don't doubt you were) 10-14 hours a day on organizing this event this should be must-check. Lack of communication between people themselves

- IMO there were too many "main figures" organizing this event, due to that a rookie in AoC community could be lost about who is who in this event.

Everything can be fixed, right. But often first impression can be made only time.
It's a pitty that most of this show's elements were unproffesional and experimental.
Many people could watch some AoC initiative for the first time, among them were future supporters, maybe even partners or sponsors. My disappointment was even bigger because KotD2 was stopped for a long 2 weeks for the sake of this event.

I think EscapeAoE team could simply

- organize and prepare everything in 100%
- ask for a feedback to the more experienced and proffesional figures
- Find a time for such event after NAC2
- send their invitations for players and spectators

Then

- Make a handbook (KotD2 alike)
- Make a clear announcement about what is gonna to happen
- Check everything twice and start the event.

Thanks for reading it I hope I was understandable in main issues though you cleary see that I'm not native english speaker.

I wish good luck for Escape team and I'm happy that they found a sponsor to make some big AoC event. I hope the next ones will be more succesful and will cause a growth of this beautiful game and community.

Forgot to mention, Twitch chat during this event wasn't moderated at all. There were huge waves of spamming emotes and no one reacted. In fact you could send all you wanted.

Nov 20, 2017
There are always some haters just hopping in for a ride on the hate bandwagon, but its also very understandable that people have high expectations. Without a very solid grasp of the basics you dont stand a chance in hell. They wont buy whatever inferior stuff just to "support aoe and good effort", like you might buy your nieces shitty homemade cookies to finance her field trip and then never actually eat them because they smell of cilantro.
Sir, you are a good writer.
Read a lot of your posts, your articulation of the thought you want to convey doesn't cease to impress me.

Hey @Qulala, I think people are not hating. Disappointment should be seen as critical feedback or suggestions for improvement.

Let's remember. The most destructive criticism is Indifference!

Germanyawfulunicorn

May 27, 2018
Munich
Voobly
awfulunicorn
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Gotta say I was a bit dissappointed by the whole thing.
These kind of events need a certain smoothness to how things are planned out and this was clearly lacking.
Now I know that they worked overtime the past few weeks to even make it happen at all.
But why the rush ? Why not wait after NAC and have a better setup, better camera angles for the secondary games, better prepared interviews, better means of communicating with the behind the scenes guys.
I feel like they hurt themselves by setting too tight a schedule.
Don’t get me wrong Zak I truly appreciate what you’re doing here for the community and the game.
Escape is supposed to be the pinnacle of professionalism in AoE esports and is probably what potential sponsors use as a reference when considering AoE.
I also second what 8th Wonder said about finding the right role for everyone.

However, having a studio to do these kind of events or even proper pre/post game coverage for ECL and other tournaments is a great step forward and I’m sure the guys at Escape will make sure to implement the lessons learned from this event.

Mar 5, 2017
A lot of stuff has already been said and I agree with a lot of it. I know there were heavy time constraints, but for some things that is just no excuse. At one point the whole escape thing has to present itself professional in every way and the moment when you get a physical studio and fly in couple of full-time employees would have been a good start to do so. So with that in mind you either can´t pull of the event at all in the given time constraints, or at least not in that form, or get more help. I don´t really want to bash escape or attack the few guys I suggest to take or not take certain roles. It is just my opinion, which mostly adresses organization and delegation. If it sounds a bit too harsh, it is just the way I communicate directly without sugarcoating everything. I´m german after all. More than anything I just want to see a good show for my personal entertainment, but also something that has the quality to grab viewers and sponsors from other games

There were a lot of organizational and technical issues and most of them would probably have been solved if at least parts of the event would have be rehearsed beforedhand. If they actually were rehearsed, they probably needed to do it one more time. A test stream would have shown issues with audio, facecam positions, the chess board desaster, etc. Also casters and moderator would have thought more about the rules of the drawing contest for instance. From an organizational point of view, I feel like dracont. It seemed there was no director in the back. It seemed like they took turns on who switches camera angles and who mixes the mics etc. And maybe sometimes there wasn´t a guy there at all. From the first "guess who" half of the game was missing so that the casters actually thought the players didn´t know what they were doing. Ideally that guy would also communicate to the casters, interviewers and the moderator and tell them when it is their turn to say something. Use radios and earplugs. Or have a few LEDs that show what camera and what mic is live.

The interviews were partially a desaster. There needs to be more preparation and also maybe a better selection of people who interview others. As for the general moderator, Interjection seem like a good choice as I think he has the right energy for it and in Aoe2 events he probably won´t frequent the casting booth anyway. He did quite a good job already, but suffered most from missing a director, which made it far from easy for him. Plus, he can´t moderate and hand out pen and paper and hold a a mic at the same time. Get him some help or a headset at least. For a huge part of the show, he should do the talking, altough he might need an addition or a dedicated interviewer once it´s about asking deeper questions about the gameplay. Robo has the knowledge to hop in there, and with some more experience he might get there charisma wise. But always when I see him on cam I fear nobody is in charge of the tech stuff behind the scenes. He´d be the obvious choice for a director in my eyes. Ham is a great guy everyone wants to hang out with, but at times he appears to be too chill to lead an interview or something. He can defintively work on engery and preparation, but maybe he´d be better of with handling tech and other tasks as well.

While this is only my opinion paired with some superficial judging on the employees potential, there a few smaller, more concrete things that could be improved just by thinking about it ahead of time or asking for help. There was quite the audience and people are probably more than willing to help as I will try to explain based on the chess desaster.

There is at least 4 ways to get a chessboard on screen parallel to the game: Camera, online game, someone playing along, or an USB board. Camera is the least watchable and the implementation was horrific (angle, ineligible pieces in in first game, camera not fixed, instable table). Also in the first series there wasn´t even a picture in picture mode if I recall correctly. Rehearsing a stream would have shown this and it is certainly fixable on short notice. Maybe just grab someone from the audience on friday and ask them to take responsibility for the chess part if the other guys have more important stuff to do. Wouldn´t suprise me if a guy like n_brain (who I believe was there) could have brought a USB chess board or at least fixate the camera and play along so you can have a digital chess board picture in picture. This tangents the basically overall missing concept for the overlay, the spots for facecam etc. Maybe someone could have helped out with that or at least help in another way to give someone a bit of free time. While it might be very well true that you actually asked for helped, e.g., asking in discord if some people can come in early on friday or saturday to do some stuff, I kinda doubt it or at least think it could have been done better. As mentioned right at the start of this post, I think for stuff like the poor chess implementation there is not really an excuse. The other games worked kinda ok, but they suffered from bad mixing and unclear rules/moderation. Ultimately you can also just make your life easier and ditch the chess, drawing, and guess who ,if you don´t have the time to do it properly. Don´t think anybody would have complained if it was just normal AoE games.

Last but not least, I know it is easier to observe all these things after the fact from my chair and be critical, but at least some of the things I could have suggested if someone asked in advance. So feel free to ask next time and I can try and consult instead of critique.

Last edited:

PortugalMaSmOrRa

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2012
I think people are overreacting a bit here...

The way I see it, this is sort of a test event to showcase to the community the possibilities and potential this new studio has to offer.
I don't think the Escape guys were expecting to deliver a perfectly streamlined event with perfectly smooth transitions. I think they are basically telling us "look we now have this amazing new toy, help us make the best possible thing out of it".

So yeah, a lot of the criticism is definitely warranted just the tone seems a bit out of place sometimes. No one claimed this was going to be the most awesome event ever. Heck they didn't even have a name for the event. They had barely any promotion too, which I believe was a conscious decision.

My biggest disappointment though is that KotD had to be paused because of this.
I'm sure had Memb known what this launch event really is about, he wouldn't have delayed the tournament. So I hope in the future there will be more and better communication between Escape and the big community streamers/tournament organizers.

This whole secrecy involving the preparation of events and this whole announcement of announcements baloney is clearly backfiring. Just let the community be a part of the whole thing. We've been around for a very long time, we know how to help.

AustriaThePr0phet

Known Member
Nov 14, 2017
Austria
- It looked like the hype was connected only with the fact that community is spending time together and the "games" were unnecessary addiction to this meeting - Tatoh admitted that no one cares about the games.
I got a feeling that casters tried to create a hype but due to the ambiguities concerning the whole event even they felt something kinda lost and odd.

- Neverending problem with cameras and microphones' sound levels and their power. If you were working (I don't doubt you were) 10-14 hours a day on organizing this event this should be must-check. Lack of communication between people themselves
Those two points sum up the problem of a team calling themselves we are esports now. If even the top players go to a game related event and dont even care about the game. this is no esports this is a lan with friends getting drunk and messing around and trying to get some income with streaming their party...

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 4v4 WB Final
Saturday 11:30 (GMT +01:00)
new Chapter vs Australia
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
Saturday 13:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
ECL South East Asia 1v1 Ro16