EscapeTV Launch Event - Day 1

EscapeTV Launch Event - Day 1
Posted by GermanyEscapeAoE
TheViper, TaToH, MbL & Liereyy on LAN
Friday, January 18, 2019 - 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
Until: Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 00:00 (GMT +01:00)
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/Amsterdam)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/Amsterdam

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Streamers: @EscapeAoE

Unknown_Andrew

Longswordman
Jan 2, 2013
The problem with the chess and the Guess Who was that it took away from the seriousness/importance of the actual AoE games... which is what 90% of the viewers tuned in to see.

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
What if @kw1k000000 is just zac's alt, used to stir up some controversy? No normal person would care enough to post so much negativity right? As they say, all publicity is good publicity.
Asif I'm the only one who is expressing those observations. Get the wool off your eyes sheep.

Frankly if the observations are putting you off then you will have to ignore many other posts than just mine.

Last edited:

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
People seem to be really upset by the "we esports now" comment. I think that was referring to the fact that we have a studio to play games, not really to this event in particular. And isn't it ****ing amazing that we have our own studio where players can come and play in a LAN environment, while there is a crowd cheering for them?

And for the people complaining that the matches weren't really competitive, how would you feel if this was the grand Final of kotd2 and there were all these technical difficulties? I think this event was mainly used to show off the studio and the future plans, while at the same time being a good test scenario for when we get a "real" tournament. I think a lot was learned already as you can see by the improvement of today's stream over the stream on Saturday and I'm sure it will improve even more if they have more time to prepare and set things up.

I get why people were disappointed tho, I think it would've been way better if it was mentioned from the start what kind of event this would be instead of only mentioning the names of the players and the prizepool. People will rightfully expect to see some serious high level games, but this wasn't really set up for that.

And regarding KotD2 being delayed because of this, it sucks but there's not much that can be done, except for maybe more clarity between tournament organizers and streamers. I'm not entirely sure when the dates for this were set in stone, but I don't think it's outrageous to think that they confirmed it before KotD2 was announced, especially when you consider they have to buy tickets, book hotels, invite people and of course make sure that the studio is ready.

Germanyawfulunicorn

May 27, 2018
Munich
Voobly
awfulunicorn
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I‘m actually impressed by the amount of constructive criticism and politely voiced dissappointment in this thread.
If you leave aside a few haters (and conspiracy theories about trying to hurt membs tournament) I think you’re left with good suggestions and honest feedback that I’m sure the Escape guys will utilize to improve in the future.

Oct 6, 2017
I just want to utter some words of appreciation for Nili and T90. The hours they spent live on stream clearly manifested, especially in contrast to the interviewers (sorry guys, but you can/will get better!). Hope they got paid well. Also Zak should have used Zak more in front of the camera, things would look much smoother. Anyway, I still had a lot of fun watching. GL in future guys

FranceMiral

May 5, 2012
I hope you Escape guys will take all these comments positively. You set up something quite ambicious and it is amazing. Keep the work on and we are gonna watch great series. I deeply want a 3v3 (or even 4v4??) set up :0.

Sep 10, 2014
Its really amazing that this project could take of! All the best to Zeroempires and the others.

However I felt like this kick off event wasted a lot of potential. The advertisement for it was close to non-existent. Even on the escape gaming website there was no information about the format or the schedule beforehand. Not having any games on the launch event was also not a good idea I believe. The hosts could have just had some fun games among themselves, maybe even play some aoe3 just to have some gaming content.
The "side games" during the actual pro games felt awkward at best, took away from the real games unnecessarily I feel.

I really hope escape will learn from this and take all the great criticism I have seen in this thread seriously but not too personally. Its certainly an exciting project"

Unknownorxshi

Dec 7, 2014
A tablet should be provided to let players to make chess moves online (lichess for example). This way there is no need to have chess board and camera to show the board. Also 2D board is less confusing.

UnknownDouble_N

Mar 5, 2017
After my long critique yesterday I just want to note, that I saw significant improvements, which is great. However, it underlines my/the point that just a bit of rehearsal combined with getting some upfront help would have improved the quality so much from stream one.

Finlandkalkkaro

Aug 25, 2017
A tablet should be provided to let players to make chess moves online (lichess for example). This way there is no need to have chess board and camera to show the board. Also 2D board is less confusing.
I think people are taking this chess part too seriously. It was just meant to be distraction from the actual game to see how they can multitask.

Unknownorxshi

Dec 7, 2014
I think people are taking this chess part too seriously. It was just meant to be distraction from the actual game to see how they can multitask.
OK, then there is no need to make commentary on chess game. Nili better focus on AOE game instead of struggling with commentary of chess game.

Netherlandsandae23

Jan 9, 2016
Netherlands
Just wanted to add some feedback as well. I know that the preparation time was very limited and that the event was more of a house-warming party than a real LAN tournament, so I guess your reaction to most criticism is "yeah we know we know". But I just wanted to add a couple things. Obviously I don't have any experience in e-sports, but I have some experience with theater/musical production.

I was really surprised by how many people were slashing the production quality, even for an event like this. I suppose it's part of becoming a bigger e-sport: people expect quality and if you don't deliver they will watch something else. You have set the bar very high with the ECL streams, so things like audio and video quality needs to be sorted out. Also take a closer look at the lighting in the studio and the camera angles you want to use. It might even be worth to have some professionals take a look at it initially, just to make sure you guys are going in the right direction.

Now during the shows themselves, it will be super intense behind the scenes if you want to deliver a show up to the ECL's standards. Given that you are very limited in numbers, it would be worth it to work on efficiency: how can you run the show professionally with as little effort as possible? So stuff like planning out and dividing tasks, finding the right software, investing into good audio/video mixers, things like that just to eliviate the stress on the people working backstage.

For the first proper LAN event, I would suggest doing a test run. This is not only useful for ironing out any technical problems, but also for finding "oh crap we didn't think about that" moments. You could even split it into two runs: during the first one you stop at every issue, find a way to fix it and then continue; during the second you don't stop and any issues just need to be sorted on the fly.

Final note, I think the charm about aoe2 is how tight-knit the community is, so it would be awesome to keep involving the audience in some way during the broadcast (both at the event and in the twitch chat).

Anyways, I think the main reason people were disappointed was because of high expectations, which is probably due to your high-quality ECL streams. It's super cool to think Age of Empires now has its own studio dedicated to the game and I'm super excited to see what you guys can achieve with it ;flowers

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018
Nili and T90 were contributing a lot, not a particular fanboy of either but they had excellent stage presence, humor and charisma. I hope T90 can make the trip to UK often.

As wonky as this launch event was, I feel like it should have included DauT, he would have fit right in.

Mar 23, 2014
What about 9000$ for fun games between Viper and Daut
1. You can't compare a bo37 showmatch between two friends who livestream their POV with a LAN tournament organized by a company.
2. Just because one rich guy throws a ridiculous amount of money at a showmatch, doesn't mean 2,500$ is not enough money for a 1 weekend tournament.

I don't get your point to be honest.

Jan 21, 2019
Serious question and i don't want to generate more drama, but since i haven't seen an official statement about it. Was Memb invited to this event? He is not exactly my cup of tea for casting since he is too intense but he organises amazing tournaments (and besides ECL the only high profile "serious" competitive ones, although the MoA and WC 2v2 are also great).
I'm currently watching he Sunday vod and it's a substantial improvement over saturday. I'm sure the Escape guys know what they need to iron out, but i think the best way to grow would be for all.of the community to be united. Imagine a KOTD2 final using the Manchester studio, that could be awesome!

Edit: i just saw how they set the guess who and chess boards. Never do that in front of camera!! Cut to people talking and come back when all is set, despite how much fun watching Robo fumbling pieces was

Last edited:

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
As wonky as this launch event was, I feel like it should have included DauT, he would have fit right in.
Actually, the wonky event would need DauT even more than some other, more serious one. Why actually do you need to have the best of the best players for some random troll games when you can have lord DauT instead, for maximum entertainment value?

Netherlandssnellefiets

Nov 27, 2017
Wanted to give some feedback but everything has been said already. Nothing to add, I agree with the feedback on the chess and guess who games. I didn't like that all. I believe enough entertainment can come from high level itself and I don't believe that these funny things will help the game (and EscapeTV) forward in the end. Most of your audience (20+ years or older? I don't know actually, does someone know that?) doesn't want to watch things like this. They want to see intense high level games and rivalries.

Anyway, congratulations on the first event. I really like the initiative and really hope you will succeed. @EscapeAoE: Please use the feedback. I believe almost everyone in the community really likes the initiative! :-)

Jun 26, 2018
Wanted to give some feedback but everything has been said already. Nothing to add, I agree with the feedback on the chess and guess who games. I didn't like that all. I believe enough entertainment can come from high level itself and I don't believe that these funny things will help the game (and EscapeTV) forward in the end. Most of your audience (20+ years or older? I don't know actually, does someone know that?) doesn't want to watch things like this. They want to see intense high level games and rivalries.

Anyway, congratulations on the first event. I really like the initiative and really hope you will succeed. @EscapeAoE: Please use the feedback. I believe almost everyone in the community really likes the initiative! :-)
I am 47 and I quite enjoyed it. I see it as livestreamed party/aoe2 gathering. There were many hickups and awkward moments but the best way to learn is learning while doing.

Dec 11, 2012
www.youtube.com
I'm surprised how WSVG Maldives is barely mentioned (probably too far in the past). The EscapeTV launch was a big step forward in this perspective. With WSVG, we had a dubious company from outside the community, with Escape, we have one that grew partly inside and with the community and is responsive to it.

I see a tension between Zak's vision and reality. In his communication, he is all about professionalizing, but when it comes to deeds, there is much learning by doing and DIY. I like that. It's a story of growing and overcoming and we can be a part of it. And we are really lucky to have people like Black Adder and kw1k, because good stories need worthy antagonists, good discourse needs critical voices.

Last edited:

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Bluewolf Showmatch ($10) Episode 2
Saturday 12:30 (GMT +01:00)
TheHappyBoar vs PaperHades
DeZu's showmatch $100 TheYo vs Lyx, full 7 games
Saturday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
TheYo vs Lyx showmatch