Which unit hits first?

Jul 21, 2018
When two units begin a melee (or ranged?) attack, they are not timed perfectly it seems, so one unit gets an advantage and wins. This happens often with the starting scouts in arena as an example.

Can anyone confirm with anything more than a hunch if this is actually rng, and not affected by any variables such as who attacked first, patrol, unit stance, etc?

AustraliaSocksyy

Halberdier
Nov 6, 2013
Australia
Voobly
Socksyy
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I believe that for melee units the attack/reload timer begins when you click to attack a unit or patrol and if the unit is not within range it keeps ticking over and over until the unit is within range and the attack timer counts down and THEN damage is dealt/attack animation begins. however this is just a hypothesis based on the scout trick that I notice sometimes. I am probably completely wrong but it is very interesting regardless :/

Unknownasdfasdfasdf1

Jul 13, 2017
if two melee units are in range of each other and given the attack command in exactly the same frame, the one with the lowest player number hits first if I'm not mistaken. this means player 1 (the host) hits player 2 first, player 2 wins against player 3, and so on.

This is the case for wonder victories , but I'm pretty sure the same logic applies to scout fights.

I'm not sure what happens if two scouts are a few tiles apart and both are told to attack each other, and move directly towards each other. In this case it doesn't matter who clicked attack first. my guess is that if they both meet and attack each other at the exact same time, player 1 should again have the advantage for the same reason, and in theory always win. In practice it's probably close to 50/50 because of pathing inconsistencies.

Edit:
To clarify: by player number I mean the order of the players in the game room before launching a game. The host is always player 1, the next one on the list is player 2, and so on. Changing player color does not change this order.

Last edited:

United KingdomHyunAOP

Longswordman
Nov 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Voobly
HYUNA__
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
if two melee units are in range of each other and given the attack command in exactly the same frame, the one with the lowest player number hits first if I'm not mistaken. this means player 1 (the host) hits player 2 first, player 2 wins against player 3, and so on.

This is the case for wonder victories , but I'm pretty sure the same logic applies to scout fights.

I'm not sure what happens if two scouts are a few tiles apart and both are told to attack each other, and move directly towards each other. In this case it doesn't matter who clicked attack first. my guess is that if they both meet and attack each other at the exact same time, p1 should again have the advantage for the same reason, and in theory always win. In practice it's probably close to 50/50 because of pathing inconsistencies.
This is correctus

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018

I'm not sure what happens if two scouts are a few tiles apart and both are told to attack each other, and move directly towards each other. In this case it doesn't matter who clicked attack first. my guess is that if they both meet and attack each other at the exact same time, p1 should again have the advantage for the same reason, and in theory always win. In practice it's probably close to 50/50 because of pathing inconsistencies.
So viper's yellow colour is actually a nerf in many cases?

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
sorry, it was a bit misleading how I put it. player number = the spot in the game room before launching. usually p1, p2 etc. are used to refer colors, but I meant player numbers. changing color does not change this.
Ah, ok. Thanks! One learns something new about AoE every day :smile:

Mar 14, 2018
I heard a rumour that when one scout is chasing another, the scout that is chased and turns around to fight, hits first. Is this correct?
In my experience the scout who's chasing hits first. However lag plays a big role in melee engagements.
I wanted to add, that some units have a faster or slower attack-rate than the animation make it seem. And I think the first hit is almost instant, but the second, third, ... only hit after a second full attack-animation, but this is more a hunch.

Last edited:

NetherlandsiViktorius

Longswordman
May 9, 2014
The Netherlands
The animation has no influence on the attack rate afaik, especially with the spearman-line that's visible. They seem to hit almost twice as fast if you look at them wave those spears/pikes/halberdiers around, but they do hit at their specified rate.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 3v3 LB Semifinal
Wednesday 20:30 (GMT +01:00)
Peter sings a song vs Lunacy
ECL SE Asia 1v1 JorDan vs Tim
Friday 12:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 JorDan vs Tim
Improvement Cup 4v4 WB Final