New ECL Map: Rift Island

United KingdomCicero

Well Known Pikeman
Jul 9, 2017
The elevation on the shoreline slightly triggers me :P
Otherwise, nice map from mudkd. Players always want to fish if they can, but its pretty open so perhaps that could be punished here. The aggressor also has access to those forward hunt, but I can just see someone losing a bunch of vils to a demo...

Last edited:

United KingdomCicero

Well Known Pikeman
Jul 9, 2017
I dislike the fact, that you can go with ships in the middle, looks like it's only done for some nice demo shots, but thats just my opinion ...
Fair point, but I'd see it as being based on team islands, with shallows then added to the middle to make land aggression more possible. The hunt on the shallows then makes that area even more strategically important and interesting - though I agree that may just be too risky to use.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2015
I dislike the fact, that you can go with ships in the middle, looks like it's only done for some nice demo shots, but thats just my opinion ...
I chose to let ships go into the middle so that the team with map control still needs to take care of enemy demo ships by patrolling ships at the narrow "rivers", destroying enemy docks etc. This means that the advantage of controlling the middle can be somewhat decreased by skillful opponents.

In the late game I want to allow teams to station demos in front of their island to make enemy attacks through the middle more difficult and try to get teams to think about when and how to push.

The elevation on the shoreline slightly triggers me :P
Yeah I know, I should have done it more cleanly. I didn't change it to hopefully make fire galley wars a bit more interesting with the hill advantage.

CanadaNuclearPasta

Known Member
Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Voobly
NuclearPasta
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I really like the look of it. Naval maps are always good as far as I'm concerned, and this one adds something new.

The middle will be contested a lot due to all that deer, and I'm not sure if holding the middle gives you an advantage or a disadvantage. I doubt we'll see much feudal action in bases thanks to those easily wall-able tree lines, which will make the center all the more aggressive. Ships being able to move around in the middle is a point of interest too; will we see more galleys and fires to attempt at getting vils?

Strong castle age and naval civs will obviously be the way to go on this map. Mongols and Italians are obvious picks, safe to say Vikings and Japanese as well I think.

DenmarkChrazini

Longswordman
Dec 31, 2013
Denmark
Voobly
Chrazini
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
While I really like the idea and how the map plays, I feel like the theme could have been a little more obvious. Perhaps with the use of savannah terrain and the new trees from the African Kingdoms DLC. The theme reminds me more of the Middle East than Africa.
But with that said, well done. A simple idea with a great execution. Great job! I like it a lot.

Feb 14, 2012
Voobly
Timotheus_
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The problem with the map (and that donut one in BoA) is that any map, where you can have boats where all the land unit/buildings are, suck. You can have your army and then demos come. Demo's go faster than your units. They are 6 tiles away when killed and still your entire army is wrecked.

Sure it can be fun to watch badabooms as viewers and very satisfying as a player, but it really doesnt make it fun to play in general.

The concept of the map is interesting though. And perhaps if ships were able to go through a very defined ring going through the center, with the zebra in the center untouchable by fire galleys/demo ships could be better.

May 22, 2016
map seems really cool shame it wasn't played in the 2v2 tournament. Tbh i saw most but not all the games so it might have been played once or twice. Still sad though

Feb 5, 2017
Netherlands
Voobly
HenkDeSuperNerd
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The problem with the map (and that donut one in BoA) is that any map, where you can have boats where all the land unit/buildings are, suck. You can have your army and then demos come. Demo's go faster than your units. They are 6 tiles away when killed and still your entire army is wrecked.

Sure it can be fun to watch badabooms as viewers and very satisfying as a player, but it really doesnt make it fun to play in general.

The concept of the map is interesting though. And perhaps if ships were able to go through a very defined ring going through the center, with the zebra in the center untouchable by fire galleys/demo ships could be better.
I agree that on competitive maps with hybrid terrain ships will always be favorite over land army. Hybrid maps where land terrain and water terrain are distinctly spaced work better.

For fun games however, I love hybrid terrains (shallow, ice, beach, mangrove shallow) because they add more versatility to maps, showing weird army combinations and interesting unit matchups (fireships versus kamayuks, who will win?)
And ofcourse the possibility for demolition ships is great aswell (altough it might get boring if the demolitionship is the go-to unit for a specific map)

in Rift Island going ships on the hybrid terrain is not too broken in my opinion, because there are still small save areas where archers can safely stand and kill demoloition ships. Also the pathing of boats in the narrow pathways can be awkward enough to deter players from going heavy into water

Feb 14, 2012
Voobly
Timotheus_
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I agree that on competitive maps with hybrid terrain ships will always be favorite over land army. Hybrid maps where land terrain and water terrain are distinctly spaced work better.

For fun games however, I love hybrid terrains (shallow, ice, beach, mangrove shallow) because they add more versatility to maps, showing weird army combinations and interesting unit matchups (fireships versus kamayuks, who will win?)
And ofcourse the possibility for demolition ships is great aswell (altough it might get boring if the demolitionship is the go-to unit for a specific map)

in Rift Island going ships on the hybrid terrain is not too broken in my opinion, because there are still small save areas where archers can safely stand and kill demoloition ships. Also the pathing of boats in the narrow pathways can be awkward enough to deter players from going heavy into water
just delete the demos, they will kill the archers anyway even if 102397097 tiles away

If fact, the entire demoship is a complete joke at this point. The equivalent land would be a king paced petard with 10 tile splash damage

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
just delete the demos, they will kill the archers anyway even if 102397097 tiles away
You should have seen the old HD demos. There was bug that damage did not taper off towards the edges of the blast radius, and the demo to full damage to every unit it hit.

Apr 19, 2015
@Lanchi what bug are you referring to? Anyway, maybe it's best to contact @T-West - he has slightly adapted the map and the script and created the ECL Africa Map Pack so he has the up-to-date version(s) which would need to be fixed (if there's a bug that is).

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2
Friday 18:30 (GMT +01:00)
Vivi vs JonSlow
DERAC - Quarterfinal #3