NAC2 - Feedback thread

GermanyNili_AoE

Cavalier
Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for all overwhelming feedback during the tournament.
To have things a bit more organized I'd like to use this topic. Please don't go into any heavy discussion with each other.

This is what I liked in this event:

This is what made me tune in:

This is what I think could be improved:

This is what made me turn off:

This was my favorite moment:

General notes/ what I also wanted to say:

Sep 7, 2018
I would love if you could use a tool so that the chat's questions be organized in a way that players / streamers answer the top voted questions , instead of answering the ones you are capable of reading or the ones that pop in to the interviewer or streamer mind. Not that it was wrong just a way of being more engaging with the audience..
Also an award ceremony 11

Dec 11, 2012
www.youtube.com
- High level plays.
- Personalities. Stories. Emotions. Human beings.
- Active, entertaining chat.
- The caster duo lottery.
- Organized anarchy & professional sloppiness.
- The light blue corporate design.

- Behind the scenes documentation (pictures, texts, clips). Someone who creates small stories, a little NAC blog. I liked Memb's streams, but they were random and centered around him.
- The "stage" of the interviews (interior design). Also take notes from NAC1 Killer_B about how to take notes.
- Personal assistant for Nili.
- Day 0 for stream testing.
- Add in some classic maps & mirror matches.
- Recorded games postings, merged with discussion?

- Responsibilities.
- I used Tidepool and Seize the Hump for brushing teeth and stuff.
- I watched two games of the RBTV special. It was quite nice, but I wouldn't need it for my NAC experience.

- Many favorite moments. The golden hill of fallen organ guns was quite a nailbiter. Also niliTherapy.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018
This is what I liked in this event: Well organized, great casting, and exciting games.
This is what I think could be improved: I would like to hear more from the players separate from post-game interviews. Something along the lines of the Mbl and Nicov interviews.
This was my favorite moment: Hard to say a favorite part since I enjoyed all of it. I especially enjoyed the casting when it was player-caster duos.
General notes/ what I also wanted to say: Thank you Nili! I look forward to catching more streams!

Chilezuviss

Two handed swordman
Mar 14, 2010
- top notch gameplay
- the fact that we got to see a lot of the personalities of our top players
- Massive meetup (didnt go) but it was nice to see so many new people having fun meeting each other, doing irl streams, etc.
- The balance between top competition gameplay and silly casting. like daut/jordan or daut/f1re
- the videos between games was a nice addition compared to NAC1 when it was just dead time
- breaking 11k viewers was just awesome and well deserved

-
Daut
- knowing that is probably the most 1v1 competitive tourney in all year
- Cool twitch chat experience
- NAC1 was already one of my favorite tourneys ever, so the expectations for NAC2 were so high but gladly they were met and even surpassed.

- Interviews; having prepared questions, knowing when to not interview the loser, making sure that the mics work before doing them even if it takes 2 mins more off camera its better than 2 akward mins on camera.
- Official behind the scenes, memb, mbl, f1re, lfish did irl streams and were really entertaining; also polskafan streamed the live viewing and it was super fun, but I would like the behind the scenes to be part of the event. Not that only a few lucky to follow certain streamers can catch it.

-
RBTV, skipped the whole day and just rewatched moments I was told were funny. I'm into watching top level gameplay not casual games with weird settings.

- surpassing 11k viewers was amazing, and it was great because it was during the battle of 2 really close players like viper and mbl and 2 top notch casters like memb and jordan, that whole series was the perfect storm.

- THANK YOU nili and players for the entertainment!

Irelanddooog

Mar 3, 2018
This is what I liked in this event: This is what made me tune in:

Practically everything. Several improvements on NAC1 in terms of drafting, mics and other stuff. Interesting maps, games & civ matchups. Players ribbing one another, fun atmosphere.

1. It felt like having the meet & greet the same day as the Semis affected the viewer numbers potential. Starting at 11gmt practically excludes the north and south american audiences. Also the final could have benefited from starting a couple hours later.
2. Many of the series were too one sided, though obviously you couldn't have improved that from an organisational standpoint.
3. Would love to see a return to player colours. Red and blue can feel quite repetitive if you're watching 4 series in a day, plus it feels more personalized to have Viper yellow and Nicov & Liereyy green. Unless say, a player chooses grey/orange or the 2 colours picked are red and green (for the colourblind) I don't see why you'd want Friend Foe colours all the time, just insist players stick to the same colour for a series.
4. Certain maps weren't great imo. Not a big fan of Hump, El Dorado. Also feel normal Cross is better than flooded. I'm sure you'd freshen up the map-pool if you decided to do 3 anyway.
5. Having 1 mirror match in BO5s and perhaps more mirrors in the longer series. Too many mirrors can feel stale but 1 per series shows at least one true test of skill. Would also mean you could pick a less fashionable civ like khmer, Byz, teutons etc in the opening arabia game.

I enjoyed most of it. I liked some casts more than others, less so when it was 2 "actual casters" together as sometimes it lacked insight. I most liked the 2 player casts.

Cheers for putting such a great event together

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019
See how professionals can see each others and better is the way you can see their faces and expressions. But most important is the way you can notice that there is no cheating into the AOC.

To rest a little. You put a lot effort and thank you for all my friend.

I really did not know about the platform you used. I and I think, most of the people watch videos of AOC in YouTube. I think it would be nicer if you connect twitch to it.

many games such as daut Vs viper. It was too funny hahaha

I wanted to appreciate your work. I can imagine how much it demands to you and the people work with you.
Really thank you for all. I followed you in every online platform.

NetherlandsBurandal

Aug 11, 2015
The best of the best players
- invitationals and 1-2 places to claim during qualifier
-great casting and great unconventional maps
-great interviews, especially the openhearted ones with mbl and nicov. But i think those interviews "just happen"
The RBTV day, i think its great to have a funday in it.

i was a bit lucky i had no other things to do this week, so saw everything, except the final ;(.

- Your tournament is more then any other tournament a tournament for people to get to know their favorite players, not only by their gameplay but also with interviews. I really liked the link under your stream alot with the twitch pages of your players. Just point it out sometimes maybe when you have 12k :smile:, Maybe just post some casual pictures of the players sometimes and a group picture before the tournament starts with all of them.
- no interviews before the games, i think its hard for them to tell you anything you want to hear, they dont want to say anything about drafts, preparations or tactics which sounds good before you're going to draft and play games vs eachother. So the interviews get a bit awkward before hand

the drunk daut jordan casting, i don't mind drunk streaming, but not on the tournament games where 2 people deserve good casting too when they play their asses off. The interview after was very cringy, you can replace them if they are just to drunk :wink: (btw, i do like both of them casting, only not this time)

The games between Mbl and TheViper, those games you could feel the tension and amazing gameplay, and 12k viewers, seeing those big numbers watching that game increased the feeling of seeing something legendary :smile:

You did amazing Nili! Enjoy your rest now for a while and enjoy the moments.

Feb 16, 2016
Netherlands
www.reddit.com
Bo5 group stage was perfect
Random casting duos, some people found a match they wouldnt have otherwise.
Sick games

Big hype buildup
Love for the game and people
excellent stream quality

Less "gimmicky" maps, more standard maps
Mirror games should atleast be possible some of the time
Enforce the no drinking before games rule that (i think) was in nac1, daut drinking before his games with liereyy even if it had no impact just makes everything seem unproffesional.

Some caster combos were so cringy to me, and dry humor really only goes so far before its just stupid. Also some just joking between themself giggling like teen girls. Im not against a joke or laugh but im also coming for a game to be casted by good casters not to see 2 grown men laugh uncontrollably for 30 mins while a game plays in the background.

so many good moments, but the one that made me the happiest was the first shot in the public viewing seeing all those fans was great.

Ty nili

Mar 1, 2018
TY Nili and all supporters! It was an amazing event, looking forward for NAC3. Pretty much everything you changed from NAC1 was IMO an improvement (the Lord forgive me), and everything that didn't was great anyway. Keep it up!

ArgentinaHermes_Arg

Known Member
Jul 18, 2013
Argentina
www.facebook.com
This is what I liked in this event: the gathering. Having all the players in the same place all hanging around, the feeling of camaraderie, maybe the fact that now they are more like friends than they where before. I felt that and I loved it. It was all about love. Love to the game and personal love to give to anybody.

This is what made me tune in: I don't really have a reason. But I was there every game I could be. I was just enjoying.

This is what I think could be improved: maybe more backstage? I know that players need some time for privacy of course. But I liked men's streaming some backstage. The players in the apartment preparing themselves or a few minutes at the shisha bar.

This is what made me turn off: daut & Jordan laughing for like 20 minutes with no reason. It was funny at the beginning but then I didn't understand anything. However, I turned back on a few minutes later and just watched the game.

This was my favorite moment: memb & Jordan cheering for the 10k viewers and the entire series they casted. It was the best moment of the tourney for me and what I enjoyed the most.

General notes/ what I also wanted to say: why does every tourney has to have an end?

Thanks nili. And thanks to every person involved in this tourney. Also, congratulations, it was fantastic.

United StatesNobody41

Jul 21, 2014
www.facebook.com
Voobly
Nobody41
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Excellent event and may be the best event ever organised in the community. Downtime between games was done very well.

1. Need more civ variety (have opponent chose one civ, other things that can be done)
2. Need a few more maps in the map pool (like 2-3 more maps)
3. Silent notifications (https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/632/Silent-warning) (sorry for bothering you about this so many times but I think its a must).
4. Should honestly have a tough discussion about how to make series more even and competitive (winners disadvantage). Not a pleasant conversation, but the skill difference between players is just to large and this will hinder the success of any event and growth of the game. 11k Tuesday was great, but i have no doubt the semifinals/finals could/should have been larger with better competition.
5. Dedicated guy to communicate with twitch chat and watch broadcast to check quality. Also this guy should be in charge of twitch mods.
6. More behind the scenes, like what memb did.
7. Distribute prize money less towards the top.

GermanyAceW

May 30, 2018
- Organization
- BO5 in group stage with the system that was used.
- People enjoying themselves
- Different casters who all brought a different and unique vibe to the casting
- Public viewing event in Hamburg
- Clips within the breaks

- Players casting
- Memb
- Variety of maps

- Maybe the small breaks. Showing some clips like highlights from nac1 or nili failing was nice and fun but maybe there are other ways to use these 15 minutes.
- I sometimes missed some games of a series because the series started like 1hour earlier then it was sheduled. I understand why it started earlier but it was irritating (ärgerlich) though.
- Rbtv didn't add much I believe. It's obv. nice for the rbtv fans and for promotion purposes. But I feel like the fun settings didn't add much to the event.
- It was actually hard to follow the games at the public viewing event. It was difficult to understand the casters although the sound itself was loud.

- Drunk casters
- No entertaininment/emotions in casting (just analyzing)

- Meet and greet on saturday

- Thank you Nili.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
- well organized and high quality overall
- the different caster duos
- BBQ. Is he working on TV or something?

- one of the biggest events in my favourite game, couldn't miss it

- would like to see more civ variety
- would like to see more classic maps, not only those fancy new ones
- would like to see actual top 8 players taking part

- drunk casters/casters who didn't actually cast games

- if I have to choose only one... TheViper's no TC strategy

Enjoyed it a lot, thank you Nili and guys!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018
Voobly
TheSilverElite_
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
- Improvements from NAC1, time inbetween the stream was used alot better than just sat waiting for something, there was always something to watch
- Player quality, every player put on a show atleast in 1 series, which imo made everything alot better
- Casting; an amazing job done by the guys there and very glad Ornlu and BQTurkman were invited!
- Variety; maps were varied, the days were varied and the fun day gave a everyone a day off and allowed people to have a rest.
- RBTV/Funday events; something a little different and allowed the players to chill out with a another set of games where they demostrate their ability to adapt to different situations, always nice to see how they communicate with the people less skilled with them, and always nice to see the respect that they give them <3
-Player casting; always something i love, and gives us a real insight into the mindset of the others and helps to teach people about the game aswell as analysis.
- Daut/Fire, Daut/Jordan, Liereyy/MBL, were definitely fun to watch, however maybe putting some of them onto less important games or their team mates games mightve taken a bit less of the seriousness off for the people who wanted to complain about it.
- Last at the top of my head, Memb. Absolutely outstanding for NAC, and imo after MBL one of the most improved people for the last year/2 years in AOE. Did a fine job of having a cocaster while taking the lead and directing the casting, always giving off positive vibes and energy, and made every single cast he did an absolute joy to watch.

- Professional players
- Daut, Memb.

- More varied break 'things' having the same videos/song played for all 9 days in break became a bit of a bore and annoying after a while, although still fun to watch.
- Swiss system, i think not having everyone play everyone really put a downer on the group stage, and the fact Viper had to play Jordan on the last day for the group stage really screwed over the playoffs and his buchholz? rating which made him 3rd.

Maps; Seize the hump imo is incredibly boring and didnt entertain me alot, other maps i loved although i wouldve loved to have seen a couple more of them being played.

11k, probably single handedly the best moment.

Thank you Nili and all involved!

Feb 19, 2019
Awesome job by Nili dreaming and setting this up!

- Generally liked all the casters except Daut, but it can be wearying to see the same casters for 5+ hours in a single day. Maybe switch them up more? Would have loved to see Liereyy, MBL, Tatoh, etc cast more games.
- I like all the maps chosen, but they started to feel repetitive. More variety from things like Feudal/Castle age starts, forcing rare civs, etc would have helped.
- More player styles. Felt like everyone was playing the same - there weren't exciting/outlier/surprising styles like Vivi.

- Really disliked Daut's casting and playing. (The casting with Fire was horrible. And deleting his TC, even though it's true he would likely have lost, was just dumb and a sign he didn't care.) Extremely unprofessional, lazy, and not funny. Hope he's not invited again.
- Some of the matches were also pretty one-sided. That's fine if there were more variety to the maps/games, but by this point, we're seeing the same maps over and over again in a very short time period, so there's not much new or exciting in a one-sided series.

Loved Liereyy+MBL casting. Wish we could have seen more of them!

I love you Nili.

IndiaTop_Shot

Sep 5, 2013
This is what I liked in this event: The setup, the overall tournament presentation. Scheduling. Almost everything, not to forget casting.

This is what made me tune in: Jordan casting, every time he casted with anyone, he made it fun and informative as well.

This is what I think could be improved: Viewers questions should also be taken during the post match interviews.

This is what made me turn off: Civ drafts, as the strongest civs were never played. There should be an option to accommodate those as well.

This was my favorite moment: Several, cant name one

General notes/ what I also wanted to say: With such a high level tournament, casting could be improved further. Though it was innovative but the casting itself wasnt great all the time. Also, Not having any chinese player was a bummer considering how strong they are in AoE. Hope next time there arent any issues with the chinese and 1-2 of them join in.

Thanks for the great tourny once again. GL next.

United StatesAlphaAndOmega

Jan 30, 2015
Minnesota
Voobly
AlphaAndOmega
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
This is what I think could be improved: Maps/civs and drafts made a bit more fun. I'd like to see perhaps mirror occasionally or hidden free pick every once in awhile too. Drafts are just so huge and lead to less exciting "insta-gg" games where one guy has a great advantage straight away.

Also arena would be a nice addition. Maps were great though, not much to criticize. What I'm saying is if the civ and map is off, one player starts off so much better.

Mar 15, 2015
thanks to zero lag sick micro
top player and best available caster

top level aoe play

-too much pre game time on drafting without hearing what the player say, feel nothing happen as a audience. if talking pre game only, NAC1 is more entertaining to me

- two casters has to be in similar volume level. otherwise it would nonadjustable to audience. I feel some caster doesn't understand this and think audience is trying to pick on them.
-award ceremony would be nice in this lan event
- split screen would be nice in important moment. please see if it is possible to have split screen to follow the action happening in different part of the map at the same time

the policy made the strongest civs rare to see in early stage, should let them pick civs freely (but not knowing the opp pick pre games) and possibility of mirror civs match isn't a issue to me, i believe it is same for most AOE fans, no need to ban it from happening .

the same rationale go for civs, variety is good, but no need to make popular map like nomad, arena , land nomad, continental become extinct

hitting 12K view and so delightful of jordan and memb casting

During nac , you could set only subscriber allow to chat , it will be a good way to encourage subscription , also slim the chat during the game

United KingdomGhostOfYoda

Sep 4, 2017
Voobly
ghostofyoda
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Quality games with quality casters. Competitive, but sportmanlike attitude of the players.

Competitive games with expert casters. The ones I was most interested weren't necessarily the best players, but the ones where the games could go either way - in this sense, I think the swiss system worked well, at least at first, for giving nice match-ups.

The sound quality (particularly, relative levels) - sometimes. The headset mics were a great addition - but the sound desk probably needed more supervision throughout the event to keep levels balanced. Possibly some kind of compressor is needed in the signal chain too, to reduce the dynamic range between the loudest and quietest of sounds (a good example of where this was a problem is in the half-time show of the finals. When Jordan is speaking, it was slightly too quiet - but when he laughed, it was way too loud.)

Drunk casting. At best boring, at worst cringy - and to me, it felt disrespectful to the tournament.

I also missed the funday/RBTV because I was travelling that day. However, I picked my travel for that day specifically because it was the content I was least excited about. To me, "funday" is a bit of a tautology: watching competitive aoe is fun. However, for pacing and breaks for the players, it makes sense, so I wouldn't recommend to skip it in future long events (though perhaps it would have been more natural for momentum if it happened before the play offs? Again, I understand the constraints from RBTV meant it had to be on a Friday, though.)

The double castle in El Dorado in the final - especially the reaction of the crowd at the public viewing!

Thank you Nili for hosting another amazing tournament!

Also, thank you to the community at the Meet and Greet in Hamburg - I'd travelled there on my own, and was worried I wouldn't have anyone to talk to - but the entire community was so warm and welcoming, and I ended up having an awesome weekend.

Feb 15, 2013
Voobly
hauajoe
View profile
Ladder
RM - Beginners
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The whole format is unique and awesome

Great games and great duos of Casters and Experts

Behind the Scenes and daily recaps
Maybe this could have been done and organized by the casters you invited

A lot of games that kind of didn't influece anything in the ranking, or too little knowledge about what a victory in one of these games changes.
Bad casting that was just laughing and drinking. Maybe for a particular audience that likes this, this could be on a different channel?

MbLiereyy casting - the perfect balance of pro tips, trashtalking about nicov and each other and actual casting

I really would love to see a completeley mirrored map the next time. just one arabia style map (per definition it would be a scenario, not a map, I think), that's exactely the same everytime for everyone (like maps in SC2 or most other RTS games)
I know that of randomness the maps provide adds kind of a special flavour to AOE, but I think one mirrored map per set could add something new aswell.

Feb 19, 2019

Absolutely top level play. WOW!
I also loved the choice of bringing 8 players. Perfect number.
Compared to other tournaments, I loved that in NAC2 we could learn something about player personalities with interviews and all that stuff.

Personally I followed the qualifiers on your YouTube channel.
I think you created a lot of hype. Well done!!! Also, the fact that DauT was not invited and had a very though qualification process increased the Hype.

Daut. Before NAC2 I was a big supporter of Daut. Now, I hope He will not participate again. Example:
- resigning destroying his TC in his first game. Come on?! This is a top level event, people have travelled 1000s of kilometers to attend/play/cast.
- behaving like a teenager: e.g., need to show "he drinks", frankly a bit pathetic for a 33yo.The cast with Jordan was a shame, I actually closed the stream.
- total disrespect when you (nili) interviewed Viper and Daut before their 2nd match. Why did they act like that?
- all the "****" / "shit" / "I can drink in front of the camera".
- Playing drunk with Lierey... NAC2 is a competitive tournament. It was obvious DauT was going to be destroyed by Lierey, but He could have played his best anyway, without much protagonism. What would happen in the world of football (example) if one team entered the field with drunk players?

All in all, I think DauT is victim of his own persona. Anyway, it was indeed great that NAC2 allowed us to learn more about the top players! :smile:

I think it would be great if there was some greater form on interaction between the casters and twitch. Perhaps somebody in charge of "live twitch interactions". Also, the players in the sofa (living room) were not playing a big role. It might have been funny to have a webcam pointed at them, to see their comments, reactions, etc during the games.

Unfortunately Viper dominated the tournament too much. Perhaps a "penalty" system could be designed? This is not unprofessional: see game of GO.

You put a lot of work on this. And the work paid out. This was a great even that will stay in the memories of many of us for years, if not decades! :smile:

MANY THANKS to you, the casters involved, the players and all people who contributed! :smile:

Addendum: You collected enough money to cover your costs, if I understood, which is great! But during the Sunday MbL-Viper game, I thought that for example allowing viewers to pay like 5usd/character to print a message in the game (so it remains in the recordings too), perhaps after a very quick moderation process done live by you or somebody else, would have been HYPE and could have perhaps provided even more money. Perhaps other forms of interactive donations like this could be fun :smile:

Last edited:
May 1, 2017

great organisation, (mostly) competitive games, mixed map pack (not just arabia and arabia look-like maps like most tournament), player interviews.

Great selection of players, games when (hype) casters were paired with expert players

Although I love the variety of map pack I think a couple of maps (like El Dorado with Chinese and Rehydration with Indians) clearly favoured a player who picked the best civ even more than usual.
As a viewer, I always prefer to see different, less played civs and also different strategies. Perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to add civ pool that would encourage picking civs ( Vietnamese, Turks...) we don't see everyday.
I think Arena as the second most popular and standard map with its own meta deserves some love and should be included in NAC3.

Nothing really. To be fair, I couldn't watch all games, but I enjoyed every moment of NAC2.

When your channel broke 12k viewer benchmark with Jordan&Memb casting.

Thank you Nili and all involved behind the scenes for the tournament. I really appreciate the effort, I think NAC2 was even better than NAC1 and I am really looking foward to NAC3, if it happens.

Sep 13, 2018
Bringing all these great players together, the interviews afterwards. All the bullshit around it. The different casters.

Lierrey vs TheViper (last year was amazing) and Tatoh vs Daut.

I would love to see some teamgames instead of only 1vs1 games.

Daut & F1re casting, at the beginning lots of fun. But after a while it became annoying.

MBL winning of the Viper, and also the interview afterwards. The casting of Tatoh & Daut of this was also legendary!

Can't wait to see NAC 3!

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Aspiring Experts SL Ro32
Tuesday 21:00 (GMT +01:00)
wAkKo vs OLADUSHEK
Hidden Cup 2 Qualification Final
Wednesday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)