Discussion - NAC2 Group Stage TheViper vs MbL

What do you think the score will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
All the ppl above have good points but personally, I dont mind the interviews being more about just casual chit-chat, roasting, whatever, instead of fully prepared in-depth game-by-game analyses. Some of the players might not even be all that eager to reveal their strategies and full think processes while the tournament is still going on.

Feb 2, 2019
Voobly
Ptee
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Doesn't work on the internet. The first player that doesn't want to give the interview will be flamed by people for "being a sore loser"...
Well I'd assume that is alright, considering it's quite a lot of money in question, I'd most definitely be pretty sore about losing a series. That'd tell more about the people flaming the loser than the loser himself.

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
On the other hand the bigger the (sponsor) moneys and the viewer numbers, the bigger the responsibilities of behavior too. If you lose a Super Bowl or a Champions League Final, you are still expected to give an interview no matter how sore you feel, and you are also expected to not swear or blame the referee in it. It is ok for the organizers to expect a certain level of sportsmanship even from the losers. Of course competitive players hate losing, but there is no reason their outer behavior has to reflect that. After all, Nili probably doesnt want his apartment full of moping crybabies slamming doors and hitting the walls. Five minutes of smiling, nodding and vague answers on that couch should be doable for anyone.

I think one idea could be to first interview the loser very shortly and then let him go while the winner is being interviewed more thoroughly. But of course that might result in some additional microphone circus and therefore not be as smooth as it sounds on paper.

United Statespatao

Well Known Pikeman
Apr 2, 2016
I think it is interesting that MBL and Viper seem to disagree so much about the way to play in certain circumstances. If Jordan and Memb had just shut up and let MBL and Viper go back and forth that would have been more interesting.
That was an awkward series of disagreements and could have been one of the more insightful, but it went off the rails. I think MbL came to the table a little surprised at Viper's performance and genuinely confused why he went [email protected] vs full wall, and Viper took it a different way and got insulted. So Viper started criticizing MbL's fast imp choice with Vikings pretty hard in retribution.

(We were just missing MbL responding "Scoreboard, bitches" to get some true quality drama).

NetherlandsiViktorius

Longswordman
May 9, 2014
The Netherlands
I think one idea could be to first interview the loser very shortly and then let him go while the winner is being interviewed more thoroughly. But of course that might result in some additional microphone circus and therefore not be as smooth as it sounds on paper.
I would argue the other way round. First do the interview with the winner, who will be happy to answer any questions. The loser can be, out of view of the public, full salty or whatever he wishes to feel for a minute. To then compose himself and get in front of the camera.

May 29, 2018
I think the biggest problem was actually that the interviewers did put more focus on the viper loss than on mbls win. If most question would have been directed to mbl, who deserved the spotlight and also would probably have been happier to answer than viper, we would not have had this strange interview with both player seeming uneasy. Also I think the winner deserves the respect of a winners treatment, mbl did play really well.

Anyway this was only a small part in an otherwise great serie.

Unknownramzes2000

Mar 16, 2018
Im sure that game was a littlw bit late for viper and he was tired to play it.
His game against nicov was at earlier time and it looked much better and he got easy wins.
Now he is playing against lierey at early time and i guess it will finish so fast and Good for viper

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
I think you guys should consider having the post-match interview only with the winner of each series.
That's what all the casters do during online tournaments and I see no reason to change this very healthy practice just because it's a LAN. Maybe an exception could be made for the finals.
That couch isn't big enough to accommodate more than 2 people anyway lol

These guys are highly competitive individuals and if they lose a match, they get pissed. Totally normal and expected.
Post-match interviews should be all about the winners in my opinion.
I think it could also be an option to have the interview done by one caster (to bring in questions/perceptions from the cast) and one other person that watched the games and had time to prepare some questions - that could help make the interviews a bit smoother as well

United Statesjive36

Known Member
May 19, 2018
I think it could also be an option to have the interview done by one caster (to bring in questions/perceptions from the cast) and one other person that watched the games and had time to prepare some questions - that could help make the interviews a bit smoother as well
Yeah it would go smoother if the interviewer was assigned before the series and the non-interviewer caster stayed and talked to chat while the players and interviewer got setup. Being prepared for the interview is one of the things missing without KillerB. When he casts games he is making notes along the way to ask questions afterward.

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah it would go smoother if the interviewer was assigned before the series and the non-interviewer caster stayed and talked to chat while the players and interviewer got setup. Being prepared for the interview is one of the things missing without KillerB. When he casts games he is making notes along the way to ask questions afterward.
I don't think any of the casters I've seen, in any of the tournaments, have nailed the post game interviews. It's a difficult skill and also requires some complicity from the players. I like game/series specific questions, but if it's too focused on a particular moment or a general, "what about game 2 eh?" it doesn't make for insightful answers.

I'd prefer q's that ask about a players preparation for a particular series, whether they made a specific plan and if they were able to carry it out. Also questions about how they thought the civ draft went, any surprises, who had the advantage? And some questions about the tournament: is it distracting having your opponent in the same room, what's it like going back into the lounge having just won/lost, what do you differently at home?

You need some preparation for a post game interview but also be able to think on your feet and react to an answer to develop it and guide the conversation in an interssting direction.

United Statesjive36

Known Member
May 19, 2018
I only got to watch Viper and Liereyy yesterday but Turkman really stepped up. I thought that interview was well done. I thought the transition was really smooth. Great Job!!

AustraliaTurkman

Dec 27, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
I've tried to put a lot more emphasis on the interviews over the last few days, I really hope it shows.

Picking one or two keep moments from each player and map then trying to encourage them to explain their feelings and choices behind the action is the big focus for me.

In that said, if there is a different direction people would like to see the interview take, questions that aren't being asked that make sense for the context by all means, please let me know what you want to hear!

Sep 4, 2017
I've tried to put a lot more emphasis on the interviews over the last few days, I really hope it shows.

Picking one or two keep moments from each player and map then trying to encourage them to explain their feelings and choices behind the action is the big focus for me.

In that said, if there is a different direction people would like to see the interview take, questions that aren't being asked that make sense for the context by all means, please let me know what you want to hear!

Mr @Turkman, you did a great job in your interview with mbl/liery. A significant improvement on previous post game interviews I've heard.

Your style is one of breathless, why use 3 words when I can use17, enthusiasm; but don't forget to give players enough time to elaborate on their responses. Sometimes, offering a person silence for just a little longer than is comfortable will force a more detailed answer from them.

I admire your effort and self-improvement.
Well done.

UnknownFinnius

Jun 17, 2014
Just watched your interview of Viper and Jordan on Day 5 @Turkman, and was easily the best interview we have seen so far this tournament. Keep it up.

Hope you are enjoying Hamburg and giving us Aussies a good name.

Must be getting to about time for some drinks with the Melbourne AoC crew.

Last edited:

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018

I think what would be great were some questions also about how it feels to play these games on LAN, looking the opponent in the face - whether they notice that at all, or whether it is motivating or distracting etc.

United Statespatao

Well Known Pikeman
Apr 2, 2016

Doing great, @Turkman! I think people really underestimate how much effort is required to ask insightful questions in an interview. Just 100% winging it doesn't work for most people.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 4v4 WB Final
Saturday 11:30 (GMT +01:00)
new Chapter vs Australia
ECL South East Asia 1v1 Ro16
Saturday 15:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL South East Asia 1v1 Ro16
Improvement Cup 3v3 WB Final