AoE history is being written in Hamburg (potential spoilers)

PortugalMaSmOrRa

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2012
Some random thoughts about what is shaping up to be the best Age of Empires tournament this community has ever witnessed:

• What an amazing show Nili and the boys have put up for us again.
    Everything seems perfectly planned: every transition, every overlay, every "dead" time between games.
    You never know when the next surprise is about to come.
    Please, whenever Escape has another big event, pay Nili some good money and let him be the main organizer.

• Everybody seems to be enjoying their time, which in turn makes us viewers enjoy the whole thing even more.

• It's true that today the combo Memb/Jordan absolutely stole the show, but we have also seen some great casting from Nili, Ornlu and Turkman. Very professional and never boring.

• In the last 4 tournament encounters between Mbl and Viper, Mbl has won 3 times (Legacy of the Huns; NAC1; NAC2) and Viper only once (Hidden Cup); Not only that, Mbl looked calm and collected throughout the whole thing. No signs of panic even in the most tense situations. If he manages to not get destroyed again by Lierrey, this could be his tournament.

• 11400 viewers watching live Mbl vs Viper in Nili's channel. No, that's no mistake thank you, it's really 2 zero's at the end.
    Never thought I'd live long enough to see AoE reach an audience of this size.

• 10.000$ donation by Matt Salsa to top it all off. No, that's no mistake thank you, it's really a 1 with 4 zero's attached to it.

• This was only the 2nd day. There's 9 more to go.

• Give me more Nili.

RussiaEuler_

Known Member
Jul 22, 2016
Memb & Jordan on fire :o-o:, best casting duo so far, absolutely aguasome casting. Gj to Memb "conversating" Jordan with his Spanglish. Memb & Jordan could become the next Memb & Katsuni. One can only look forward to how the tournament will develop and how the final will play out.

Last edited:

Unknown_Andrew

Longswordman
Jan 2, 2013
Memb & Jordan on fire :o-o:, best casting duo so far, absolutely aguasome casting. Gj to Memb "conversating" Jordan with his Spanglish. Memb & Jordan could become the next Memb & Katsuni. One can only look forward to how the tournament will develop and how the final will play out.
Completely agree re: Memb and Jordan. Incredible casting from them.

Feb 2, 2019
Voobly
Ptee
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I agree with everything in this post, but if I had to compare NAC2 to Escape league, I'd have to say the latter is aiming to be like a proper professional league, while NAC2 is a bit more lax setup or at least that is what the tournament has so far conveyed to viewers.
The difference being, NAC2 is trying to entertain you every second of the way from the beginning to end, the fumbling and fixing the setup and figuring things out is to some extend memeish and removes the feeling of "seriousness" for the viewer. (So far this has been a huge success)
I'd imagine just like with proper leagues in proper professional setup, escapegaming would fill the downtime with sponsor ads, analyst desk(with replays), interview and a 3-5min timer with ads and perhaps some game stats.

PortugalMaSmOrRa

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2012
Totally unnecessary dig at Escape.
Absolutely no dig intended whatsoever.
Nili is part of the Escape streaming team. On top of that he's quite obviously an individual who's able to come up with excellent ideas and is able to get sh*t done. All I'm saying is it would be a waste to not take advantage of his full potential.
This has nothing to do with how Escape's past events have been run.

If you don't believe me and can be bothered enough to check my past comments, you will see I was one of the few defending EscapeTV's launch event in this forum.

from watching Nelson's salt streams almost every morning to a professional shit like this, man I'm living a good life
This thread wouldn't be complete without Squeak roasting me.
Thanks for that.

You complete...me

United Statesjive36

May 19, 2018
Agree completely with everything said above. Nili fixed the biggest 2 problems from NAC1
1. the downtime in between series now we get to watch highlights and other AOE2 videos
2. drafting on stream - it was a bit of a drag the first time around, but this time allows for the caster pairing to comment on the civ and map picks (or will once everyone if familiar with running the overlay)

I also think the wireless microphones are an excellent addition.

Jul 16, 2018
Great to see these top players and casters together at such a cool event. And so good to see Age of Empires II continuing to thrive with the likes of this event and KOTD. Last NAC there was a picture thread, is there one for this?

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
Awesome tournament obviously.

The only thing I kind of wish and suggest to make it seem a bit more professional is that they would fix the audio level problems and/or at least roughly test them before the games. I know a lot of it is just to do with the casters not being familiar with using the microphones, but it gets kind of old to have to keep turning your computer volumes up and down for good first 30 minutes of every series while the casters adjust their volume levels based on random chat requests. A dedicated 3 minutes sound check beforehand would save a lot of time and energy for everyone involved.

Feb 16, 2016
Netherlands
www.reddit.com
I remember that last time, players cameras were 90 seconds delay to match game time and player reaction. This time they are not synched anymore, which can be a huge spoiler in case of close games.
Would be nice to have synch camera!
How can it be huge spoilers? In almost every game it is very clear who is winning before gg is called. AoE very very rarely has "clutch" wins and even then the player cam is not always telling.

Also i believe nili said they tried to synch but obs didnt allow for it.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 1v1 MbL vs Zuppi
Tuesday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 MbL vs Zuppi

Age Of Empires On Twitch

There are in total 32 streamers online
Click here for details
Age of Empires II 372 viewers