Palisade scan bug

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
Intuitely I always liked the idea of simply not being able to place buildings in the fog of war at all but only within a players line of sight. I haven’t really thought through the potential negative side effects, but at least that would be a very simple solution from game mechanics perspective that is very understandable

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Intuitely I always liked the idea of simply not being able to place buildings in the fog of war at all but only within a players line of sight. I haven’t really thought through the potential negative side effects, but at least that would be a very simple solution from game mechanics perspective that is very understandable
I think there are significant negative side effects to that idea. Players fairly often place buildings in the fog of war.

For example, it's already annoying when trying to wall your base, but there is a single unexplored tile that leaves a hole. Having to move all of your villagers to the place you want to wall, then only lay down the wall in short segments in your villager line of sight, would require significantly more micro. Or if you scout an enemy base and want to build a forward, you can place the foundations across the map as you're walking your villagers there. There are many situations in which it's natural for players to place their buildings within the fog of war, and changes shouldn't make the game harder to play by removing this ability.

Germanymungo__

Known Member
Dec 13, 2018
aoe-elo.com
Voobly
mungo_
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
1. Ranged repair issue
2. Flank formation issue
3. Building placement scan issue
I would like to add to the list:

4. Why does a placed building foundation scout passing enemies for me?

As seen often on enemy stone tiles when trushing etc.

This would be "really easy to fix" (not knowning the technical details) and not really harm the gameplay in any other way in my opinion.

United StatesAlphaAndOmega

Jan 30, 2015
Minnesota
the way it's done in sc2 is perfect. You can lay foundation in fog but if you start trying to build it, you will be stopped from doing so if there is any enemy object in the way. Don't know if this is easy to implement but IMO it could be a huge improvement to the game. Means, like kwik says, bf strategies aren't so obvious to opponents. And you can't scout opponents coming in for the attack, etc while sitting behind your walls, moving around a Palisade foundation.

I use this feature literally every game and it has been critical in probably 50%of them. However it feels like an exploit and "fake" as opposed to sending out a scout to follow someone's army.

Using formation to dodge projectiles is great IMO though, takes a good deal of timing and apm (skill). If you're trying to raid trade, spamming flank/spread/box/standard formation (cycling) can get you to dodge most castle arrows - - a low effort way to do it.

Jun 27, 2018
Github
github.com
Perhaps a system like this could be implemented in the future in something like OpenAge, but I doubt a change is possible right now.
I can confirm that foundation scanning would not work in openage because of the client-server model that we use. Things happening in the fog of war are not send to clients in general to prevent client-side cheating. The server only forwards infos about buildings in the fog of war if the client is

a) about to discover them (through unit movement or Townwatch) or
b) when the building starts shooting (e.g. it's a castle).

Unlike the other issues, this issue does not change or affect the game simulation. Although some players can gain an advantage from doing this, it's not trivial for the many reasons mentioned in the quote earlier. For example, the time and attention diverted by scanning could have been used to flank split xbows away from a mangonel shot elsewhere.
I don't agree with this. It gives the scanning player an unfair advantage as they can gain knowledge about strategic points without using existing game mechanics. Information about the map can be obtained otherwise, e.g. by scouting with units, researching Town Watch/Town Patrol and building outposts. Scanning the opposite corner of the map to discover that the other team has started trading is just ridiculous.

Also, players can have different time constraints in different situations. I would argue that line of sight is a tactical advantage that should simply cost more than wiggling the mouse at one spot. Instead of being a reaction game, knowledge about the map should be an investment by diverting resources for buildings and units that could be used elsewhere.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 3v3 Semi Final
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 3v3 Semi Final
DeZu's showmatch $100 TheYo vs Lyx, full 7 games
Saturday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
TheYo vs Lyx showmatch
Bluewolf Showmatch ($10) Episode 2