How some players are so fast?

Canada_5_

Known Member
Oct 22, 2015
Canada
Hi Everyone,

This post's main question is - How some players are so fast?

Side notes- I saw slam stream once, and also MBL streams regularly and I am amazed to find how fast they are. To make it clear I am not correlating faster speed with better players. I see other players streaming who are equally good but not fast than lets say slam(just taking an example). I can understand that with experience and understanding of games the speed comes naturally.

Which brings me to the other point - Is there something that can be done to increase your playing speed? Again not saying you will get better with speed(although there must be a small correlation ), just a curiosity that needs to be quenched.

Thanks!

Latvia8th wonder

Known Member
Mar 21, 2010
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
know all ur hks and be able to press them without lookin on keybaord, should fix ur speed issues

UnknownShmolagin

Jun 14, 2014
A

Its just a mental thing. Once you know your hotkeys and can do everything without thinking about it you get faster by knowing your next action instead of thinking about it. Planning ahead in movements. Just comes with practice.

Canada_5_

Known Member
Oct 22, 2015
Canada
Thanks Richard, What's the general preference of hotkeys for you expert players?
Have you made lots of personal modification from default. I understand once you get used the default hotkeys are as better as with some modifications, OR maybe i am wrong?
I know complete list of modifications can be exhaustive, so if I may ask. Just leave a reply please if you made modifications and you think this one in particular may help others like me.

NetherlandsSiFly

Jul 11, 2012
Netherlands
www.voobly.com
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I think most use something close to the standard hotkeys, they learned to play like this so they keep them. This setup is not really logical and can be tough to learn

If you still have to learn them, you can modify them to make it more logical and easier to reach, the standard hotkeys from HD are for example already easier to remember. In the end it always comes down to just getting the muscle memory for it.

A second thing about speed, is not purely being able to play fast. It is knowing what you can do at certain times. As a newer player you most likely often get lost and don't know what to do(atleast I do). While if you have a set plan, including which keys you have to press, and which ctrl groups to maketo make, you most likely can play a lot faster

Dec 6, 2014
i had this question long time ago too, and i tried to aquire speed in multiple ways, the best ways as wonder said is to know better your hotkeys and press them without looking at keyboard,then practise its crucialand Streams helped me a lot too(old viper streams)but then i realized that speed only helps you but doesn't make u a great player.

p.s(the better thing u can do to become faster is playng a lot 111 like all games)

United KingdomFall

Halberdier
Jun 12, 2013
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Get involved with as many aoczone dramas as possible so you can touch type at 130wpm.

(Serious note - it's just muscle memory for your hotkeys and then being comfortable with your keyboard to accurately and quickly hit everything)

NorwayTheViper

Halberdier
Jan 31, 2010
Norway
I turned up scroll speed and mouse speed like one step, then got used to it, then one more, got used to it again, and so on a few times back in the days. I felt it helped improve my speed 2-3 years back, but I've readjusted the mouse speed later for more precision. Efficient hotkeys are crucial as well, and obviously fast fingers.

I think forcing yourself to play outside of your comfort zone in terms of speed could help as well. Try and force yourself to move around quicker than you normally would in a standard game for yourself.

And you can also use macros like mbl.

NorwayTheViper

Halberdier
Jan 31, 2010
Norway
Explain what you click and do, and what it executes, then we can get a public decision on whether it should be allowed in tournaments or not. I want to use it in that case :$

United KingdomFall

Halberdier
Jun 12, 2013
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Rebinding hotkeys to the extra buttons on a mouse is fine. If you are using one button to execute more than 1 action (i.e. a macro), e.g. using extra mouse button 1 to press "economic buildings, wait 15 milliseconds, build farm" that is not fine in rated games, never mind in tournaments :lol:

Norway_MbL_

May 23, 2013
I have bound "." witch is the idle vill hotkey from my keyboard on my nr 4 key on my naga mouse. So what I do is press or hold nr 4 on mouse while I hold delete button on my keyboard. Is this macro? IDNO

United KingdomFall

Halberdier
Jun 12, 2013
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
No holding down a key is fine. As far as the input goes when you hold the key down you are physically inputting the command very rapidly. I have seen examples of players though who will press one key which will go to 8 docks or whatever and create one galley in each dock in < 1/10th of a second total. Obviously this is not allowed as you are using 1 input instead of 16.

NorwayTheViper

Halberdier
Jan 31, 2010
Norway
It's unfair though, you can't hold down idle hotkey on your keyboard to cycle through idle vills :frown: Need fancy naga mouse it seems #Pay2win

United KingdomFall

Halberdier
Jun 12, 2013
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
It's not that, it's holding down one key whilst pressing another. So in the specific case of deleting vills it works - cycling through idles won't work like that. You can get the same effect by binding your scout to 1 on your keyboard, then issuing a move command to the scout then holding down 1. You camera will slightly jerkily follow the scout around as you issue the "go to scout" command hundreds of times a second.

PS Yes you can hold down the idle vill hotkey on your keyboard to cycle through vills, but it's useless for anything except deleting them because it moves between them far too fast (goes through 100 in about two seconds)

NorwayTheViper

Halberdier
Jan 31, 2010
Norway
Hmm, doesn't work for me to hold idle hotkey to cycle through villagers while holding delete to delete them at the same time. The command always gets cancelled out when the first villager is deleted.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Weekend Smackdown
Sunday 18:00 (GMT +02:00)
1 day event 1v1 on Yucatan
LotH2 - Semifinals
Sunday 19:00 (GMT +02:00)
TheViper vs MbL
St4rk vs Mattheus Bo5 Showmatch presented by DemEyesRed