ECL stream on Saturday and Sunday instead of two Saturdays?

IndiaRogganWololo

Jun 3, 2013
Voobly
RogganWololo
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
ECL has been great so far, with all the teams taking it super seriously and trying their best to win. As a viewer, the experience has been great for me.

However, due to there being a week's gap between the two-part cast of a stage, I feel that the hype generated by the Ro8 slowly decays till the cast of the Ro4 and the finals. Instead, if the cast is on a single action-packed weekend (Ro8 on Saturdays, and Ro4 and finals on Sunday), I feel that viewers will have a better experience. This will also leave more weekends free for potentially other weekends, and in the case of hidden cup, will not have to clash with the ECL stream.

I cannot think of any organisational problems related to this, and would love to hear the tournament admins' and community opinions on this.

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
Personally, I think it would be better. After the first day of games, if you are a casual viewer and dont constantly keep an eye on the calendar, its easy to forget when the finals are being played. But if they are the next day, you will definitely remember and be hyped.

The organizational problem that comes to my mind is keeping ppl from spoiling it, because the ppl involved would have to not reveal the first stage results for the whole month, instead of two weeks. Unless the scheduling was more pushed towards the end of the period, which seems unlikely to be practical.

GermanyToom03

May 30, 2015
Voobly
Toom03
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
one weekend fuul of aoe every 4 weeks? i like it more spread out and not being overkill for one weekend... i dont see any advantages

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
A few thoughts about this:

1. For the 1v1 events, we already have a stream over two days: two streams on the first weekend, then a third stream the weekend after.

2. We need to give time for players to schedule and play the games. The finals often are not played until after the first stream is over, sometimes not until the day before the 2nd stream. The only option would be to delay the first stream to the second weekend, increasing the time between when the games were first played and when they are broadcast. Much feedback already concerns the games not being live, and this delay might make the games feel even more "not live" than they already do. It would also increase the likelihood that the results get spoiled.

3. It tends to be easier to schedule casters across two weekends than across two days. If one of the casters is unavailable for one weekend, then they miss the entire event, instead of being able to cast on one of the weekends. (It's also possible that a caster is available Sunday buy not Saturday, or vice versa, but in my experience having multiple weekends is easier to schedule than having multiple days on the same weekend).

4. Zak controls the camera when other people are casting, due to needing the overlays and other background features set up during the stream. It's possible to pass the overlays off to someone else, as we did with Tristan the other weekend, but it takes a lot of set up on their part, and it requires them to be a caster. I don't think we want to pass off the cameraman role to anyone else, as it's difficult enough to keep everything in sync when Zak is used to doing it. And doing everything in one weekend makes it really difficult if Zak isn't available that weekend, as then we need to set up multiple people with overlays to cover both days.

5. Having one stream every 4 weeks might create it's own issues about generating "hype" (e.g. people not knowing when the 1 weekend was and missing both streams entirely).

as a positive side effect ecl wouldn't take up as many weekends, making it probably easier for other tournament hosts to work around ecl schedule.
But then an entire weekend is taken up, meaning that other tournaments have to compete with ECL both days. If ECL is one day each of two weekends, then other tournaments can still be broadcast on the other day.
Different tournament formats are impacted differently by each system. Weekend events such as Hidden Cup would gain an extra weekend during which to host the event, but if they were forced to clash with the ECL, would end up overlapping for 2 days instead of 1 day. And longer single elimination tournaments (e.g. something like Master of Arena) probably benefit more from having one day each weekend during which broadcasts of games don't have to conflict with the ECL broadcast. I don't believe that one system is significantly better than the other.

Overall this change would probably be possible, but logistically more difficult for us to manage. The real issue, though, seems to be a lack of "hype" for the 2nd stream. I would want to consider other ways of improving the "hype" for the stream before making changes to the stream schedule.

IndiaRogganWololo

Jun 3, 2013
Voobly
RogganWololo
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
A few thoughts about this:

1. For the 1v1 events, we already have a stream over two days: two streams on the first weekend, then a third stream the weekend after.

2. We need to give time for players to schedule and play the games. The finals often are not played until after the first stream is over, sometimes not until the day before the 2nd stream. The only option would be to delay the first stream to the second weekend, increasing the time between when the games were first played and when they are broadcast. Much feedback already concerns the games not being live, and this delay might make the games feel even more "not live" than they already do. It would also increase the likelihood that the results get spoiled.

3. It tends to be easier to schedule casters across two weekends than across two days. If one of the casters is unavailable for one weekend, then they miss the entire event, instead of being able to cast on one of the weekends. (It's also possible that a caster is available Sunday buy not Saturday, or vice versa, but in my experience having multiple weekends is easier to schedule than having multiple days on the same weekend).

4. Zak controls the camera when other people are casting, due to needing the overlays and other background features set up during the stream. It's possible to pass the overlays off to someone else, as we did with Tristan the other weekend, but it takes a lot of set up on their part, and it requires them to be a caster. I don't think we want to pass off the cameraman role to anyone else, as it's difficult enough to keep everything in sync when Zak is used to doing it. And doing everything in one weekend makes it really difficult if Zak isn't available that weekend, as then we need to set up multiple people with overlays to cover both days.

5. Having one stream every 4 weeks might create it's own issues about generating "hype" (e.g. people not knowing when the 1 weekend was and missing both streams entirely).

But then an entire weekend is taken up, meaning that other tournaments have to compete with ECL both days. If ECL is one day each of two weekends, then other tournaments can still be broadcast on the other day.
Different tournament formats are impacted differently by each system. Weekend events such as Hidden Cup would gain an extra weekend during which to host the event, but if they were forced to clash with the ECL, would end up overlapping for 2 days instead of 1 day. And longer single elimination tournaments (e.g. something like Master of Arena) probably benefit more from having one day each weekend during which broadcasts of games don't have to conflict with the ECL broadcast. I don't believe that one system is significantly better than the other.

Overall this change would probably be possible, but logistically more difficult for us to manage. The real issue, though, seems to be a lack of "hype" for the 2nd stream. I would want to consider other ways of improving the "hype" for the stream before making changes to the stream schedule.

Ah I see, I didn't take all of these things into consideration. Although I'm still inclined in favour of streams on consecutive days, this doesn't seem to be as feasible as I thought.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2
Friday 18:30 (GMT +01:00)
Vivi vs JonSlow
DERAC - Quarterfinal #3