AOE-II DM Rising Star 3

Oct 20, 2010
Hi guys,

Last two years, I hosted DM Rising Star 1 and 2, which were DM 1v1 tournaments that only lower level players were allowed to participate in. I felt both tournaments were a success, and I am interested in hosting another one!

Here, I would like to see if there is some community interest in a DM Rising Star 3. Let me know if you are interested, as well as any suggestions for setting it up / settings.

Lastly, for the last two DM Rising Stars, I personally funded the prize pools (500$ and 400$), as well as conducted the majority of the tournament set up/moderation. Considering that I'm still a student at university, I don't have the funds to contribute. Would anyone be interested in donating for DMRS3? Would be great to get 200$+ for it, if there is interest.

United StatesJoshuaR

Known Member
Oct 11, 2013
Maybe you could host at the same time as Legends 2v2 DM tournament? Either as a team tourney or just a noobier 1v1 if there aren't enough players for more teams? That could be fun.

GermanySnyper1_

Jun 5, 2011
i would be interested in playing, havent played more than 5 Dm games. About the 2. (?) edition it was a bit scaring to see that there were some 19++ players already joining which killed my interest in playing myself.

I can understand that higher leveled players give quality but personal i dont start training if there are that skilled players in.

I have no idea if others think the same, just my personal opinion. What was your idea about the skill level to join this one? :ugeek:

Anyway, great idea :smile:

Oct 20, 2010
Snyper1_ said:
i would be interested in playing, havent played more than 5 Dm games. About the 2. (?) edition it was a bit scaring to see that there were some 19++ players already joining which killed my interest in playing myself.

I can understand that higher leveled players give quality but personal i dont start training if there are that skilled players in.

I have no idea if others think the same, just my personal opinion. What was your idea about the skill level to join this one? :ugeek:

Snyper1, thanks for the feedback! It's hard for me to gauge which skill level to allow for in the tournament. In DMRS1, I had capped it at 1700- players, and overall it was a successful tournament. For DMRS2, it was open to all except roughly the top 15 players, and again the tournament was great. I would love to hear more feedback from the community on this question, before making any decisions.

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
Snyper1_ said:

Snyper1, thanks for the feedback! It's hard for me to gauge which skill level to allow for in the tournament. In DMRS1, I had capped it at 1700- players, and overall it was a successful tournament. For DMRS2, it was open to all except roughly the top 15 players, and again the tournament was great. I would love to hear more feedback from the community on this question, before making any decisions.
I think it depends on what you want, do you want to interest lower rated players to try out DM or do you want a competitive tournament where you motivate good RM players (and lower rated DM players as well) to play DM?

Oct 20, 2010
Personally I'm not too concerned with building up more interest in DM. I think it's fun to have a nice tournament, and I would like to base the tournament on what the community would appreciate the most (while still being DM).

Nov 28, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.lclan.com
As a player who got to participate in one and was excluded in the other here is my two cents.

I think that the rating of DM isn't really a great judge of skill or even level really. When I first started I was excluded because even though id only played DM about 2 months I reached 2k+. Now, I put in hours of training and asked for experts help every step of the way in an attempt to get as good as quickly as possible (putting in even more effort after finding out about the tournament). I think MANY people from the RM community could do this and improve much faster than I if they decided to put in much effort. So, excluding someone who actually shows interest and wants to improve based on their achievement is only hurting the ones who are actually interested. Furthermore, even though I reached 2k+ doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't lose to a 1700+ ect. DM rating system is not very populated with players so the ratings are very hit or miss much like AOE: HD, the number does not always equal an expected competency as RM would. This is why I much preferred the rules for DMRS 2 which excluded only the KNOWN experts, the ones who had been at a top level for years and proved a high level of skill, knowledge, and consistency. In doing this, it doesn't discourage players who know they cant make up for years of experience in only a few months of practice but still give alot of room for improvement and at your own pace.

I think there is alot of RM players that really misunderstand DM as taking alot of speed, micro ect... it really doesn't. Once you put in a little effort and learn the starts, you quickly see its much more about builds, hills, late game macro type ideas and far less about speed. (of course theres always going to be a viper who can do 10 things in the time you do 1 but thats just the way it is lol) DM is very easy to learn and get to a level where its competitive and fun compared to RM, were talking months instead of years.
P.S. the DM pros iv met are generally super nice and beyond willing to help out all types of skill levels improve, Iv been thoroughly impressed by most of them and specifically quendi team in general.

Franceedie

Champion
Monk
May 9, 2013
+1 snyper I think the same. No interrest for 1300-1700 to play and loose game under 5 mins vs 195+ 2k on DM

Oct 20, 2010
Clemensor said:
yah **** that guy :ugeek:
:?

HyunAOP said:
Will this involve wololo? Not fussed if not I love seeing DM games every now and then! :D
I think it would be great to include WK, but it depends too on how many players would like to play in a WK tournament as opposed to original AoC.

edie said:
+1 snyper I think the same. No interrest for 1300-1700 to play and loose game under 5 mins vs 195+ 2k on DM
Thanks for your input Edie. I think that was exactly the intentions of DMRS1, which turned out nicely. Perhaps with enough donations, we could even consider doing 2 separate leagues for different levels of players.

Lastly, thank you very much for your long post Spring. I can't agree with you more about most of your points! A player by no means needs to be a speed demon to be good at DM; but just like RM, more speed is never a bad thing.

Brazilandreskbr

Jun 16, 2013
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Voobly
Klrz_ask
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The idea of having 2 tournaments is very cool. Even if donations remain $200, money is not everything. The 2 funniest AoC tourneys I played had as prize Premium accounts, yet I prepared for them as they were the World Cup(even though I ended up far from the finals in both). Bring challenging settings and you have enough interest to make good competition. Civ draft system, done in last RM tournaments, would be great. Using in 1 or 2 games 1.5 UP new features(if I did not read wrongly, you can set a start wth Unique Unit in RMS. Imagine players choosing Mongols and Saracens instead of Huns because more effective raid before 1 min mark!). WK is not a bad idea, either(I'm pretty confident it would be way more popular in lower level than standard AoC). Personally I'd like to see a map contest as well. Some Mad/MR maps with slight changes to suit DM more could bring a strategical aspect of space for building not totally explored on DM GA. Whatever you choose, I'm really excited, Kellan. I hope I have the time to play!

Oct 20, 2010
andreskbr said:
The idea of having 2 tournaments is very cool. Even if donations remain $200, money is not everything. The 2 funniest AoC tourneys I played had as prize Premium accounts, yet I prepared for them as they were the World Cup(even though I ended up far from the finals in both). Bring challenging settings and you have enough interest to make good competition. Civ draft system, done in last RM tournaments, would be great. Using in 1 or 2 games 1.5 UP new features(if I did not read wrongly, you can set a start wth Unique Unit in RMS. Imagine players choosing Mongols and Saracens instead of Huns because more effective raid before 1 min mark!). WK is not a bad idea, either(I'm pretty confident it would be way more popular in lower level than standard AoC). Personally I'd like to see a map contest as well. Some Mad/MR maps with slight changes to suit DM more could bring a strategical aspect of space for building not totally explored on DM GA. Whatever you choose, I'm really excited, Kellan. I hope I have the time to play!
Thanks andreskbr, some very interesting ideas. I particularly like the idea of having a map contest, something that has been missing in DM tournaments!

Oct 20, 2010
From the overwhelming support for creating DMRS3 that I have been receiving lately, I plan to begin drafting settings and making this tournament a reality. The plan is to have 2 separate leagues, one for very new players (1650- as of January 2018) and one for more intermediate level (all but top ~15 or so players). In the case of not enough sign ups, we will run them all together as one league.

Prize pool will be around 500$ (If all commitments don't change).

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 4v4 WB Final
Saturday 11:30 (GMT +01:00)
new Chapter vs Australia
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
Saturday 13:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
ECL South East Asia 1v1 Ro16