Losses
Streak
Watch Age of Empires @ gamescom

A lot of news revealed:

Definitive edition of
  • Age I
  • Age II
  • Age III

And finally the announcement of Age IV - yes, there are going to be an Age of Empires version 4 :smile:

May 22, 2011
Amsterdam
Cool representation of AoE2 by Zak and Killer_B. And how awesome that AoE4 is announced! I hope it will stay close to the original roots of Age I & Age II.

UnknownStysiaq

Jul 30, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
I just want the game to resemble AoE2 and not be some wannabe streamlined low skill e-sport that everyone can jump into with little effort. If it wasn't for Zak and Killer_B the gamescom stream would be 100% cringe with the crowd not knowing if they should cheer or not and what's happening on screen.

Until I see anything of substance I'm more hyped about Empires Apart.

BulgariaRorarimbo

Known Member
Jan 10, 2016
Bulgaria
Honestly I was never too hyped about AoE4. To me after AoE3 it was clear its very hard to make game as good as AoE2. Of course once they make it I will try and hope it is good. If they make it more modernistic not Anciend/Middle Ages. I guess it wil not be my cup of tea.

AOE2 Definitive edition - it depends really. If it is going to be on Xbox - No thanks. Its enough we are having Steam and Voobly already. It might bring some new players but not what we need as community. On the other hand this perhaps means that Skybox will not be involved and it will be done by Forgotten Empires (as they are doing AOE1 DE). So it could turn out to be HD Edition what should have always been. I guess they will make some visual improvemnts also but I dont care much about that. It can be something great but if they introduce it on third cliend better not bother.

AOE3 Definitive edition I dont care. This game did never intrigued me. I tryed it out few times but it didnt feel right. I hpe pl who play it enjoy.

AOE1 Definitive edition. It looks to be great to try it out> Im notsure how good will be for competative and MP gameplay but like the way they seem to be doing it. Once again the biggest problem is introducigng it to X Box.

Generally it is good news as these should attract more players and newer generation players to the game. But once again Im afraid they break smth esp if they introoduce things to XBox only.

Oct 20, 2010
First off, thank you Zak for your work with Gamescom! We need that kind of representation in the aoe series!

As for AOE4: I'm extremely excited. But like the rest of you, I first and foremost HOPE that they do not go in the direction of "Age of Empires Online" or anything of that variety again, which I highly doubt they will anyway. Secondly, I also hope they do not continue the AOE trend and have the time period be set from Renaissance to Modern times. The AOE we all know and love allows us to play our cavalry/archer/infantry rock-paper-scissors dynamic that seems to hit the sweet spot on both simplicity and skill. With all this being said, I hope they take their cue from Blizzard: Star Craft 2 was exactly what (most) star craft fans had been hoping for, keeping the game play and overall feel very similar (from my limited viewpoint) to the original games.

Now for the Definitive Editions: I believe making a definitive edition for AOE1 is a really nice addition. I've always considered that game to be pretty cool, but I also grumble about the many problems with the in-game mechanics as compared to AOE2. That being said, it seems these things will be fixed, and I look forward to seeing some AOE1 definitive edition action! However, after already creating an HD version, along with multiple new expansions for AOE2, I feel a definitive edition for AOE2 is a little bit of a waste of effort. Nevertheless, I tend to hold the opinion that more AOE is never a bad thing.

UnknownDalv

Sep 4, 2009
It's worth mentioning and discussing a very important fact: the team behind AOE4 will be Relic Entertainment, a worldclass RTS studio and maybe the only worldclass RTS studio remaining alive nowadays alongside Creative Assembly (which isn't exactly an RTS studio). So Relic kinda represented the only valid option for such a project. However, it can be a sword with double edges. Let's analyze this a bit:

So Relic has at least 2 RTS series which are ranked to legendary status: that is Homeworld and Company of Heroes. Altough they aren't as successful as AOE2, they are really good RTS games. I will be talking about Dawn of War, their 3rd RTS series, later. The experience and potential is definitely there, but here come the questions marks.
Company of Heroes is more of an RTT than RTS, focusing on tactics rather than strategy with very little economy and macromanagement, so while it does have superb multiplayer (at least COH1), its style isn't exactly AOE's cup of tea. Homeworld is a genre defining space RTS with many RTT elements, shining especially in single player with a superb campaign experience, with highly acclaimed atmosphere and story, but it sails even further away than AOE's magic formula.
We can conclude that Relic doesn't have much in common with a rock-paper-scissors historic RTS, but being maybe the only choice out there, it can be trusted as an experienced enough developer for a change of style. And I am rulling Creative Assembly out for 2 reasons: they don't actually develop RTS games, and the only one they did do wasnt so good - Halo Wars 2, even though you could say they were heavily restricted because the had to make it for consoles.
Very important though as a positive is exactly what sets them apart from AOE, their RTT nature. That can actually be a very good thing because while they wont risk making AOE4 into a full RTT game and have fans raging all over, they have got exactly what AOE kinda lacks of: tactics and positioning. Thats their area of expertise. So if theres one spot where you could improve the AOE formula, these guys got it. They just have to be careful how they fine tune it, too much shift to tactics over strategy would obviously be a bad thing. And Im sure we are going to see some improvements in Real Time Tactics, you camt just bring Relic and not use their biggest strenght.
But now let's go to Relics not-so-good games and even failures:
Company of Heroes 2: game ruined by pickable armies and commanders, which isn't only representative of whats wrong with games today, but was also tried in AOE3 (cards and home city deliveries) and it failed even though it wasn't as important as in COH2. If AOE3 had at least one positive, that was proving that such a design choice has no place in AOE.
Dawn of War 3, the latest Relic title: complete failure due to trying to make the game into a MOBA hybrid. While not legendary, the Dawn of War series were still good RTS games, a Company of Heroes done in the sci-fi Warhammer universe. Making the 3rd game after todays MOBA trend caused massive outrage in the community for a very bad product.

Now that we also got the negatives out the way, here is why I think Relic is the best choice for Age of Empires 4:
* Theres one positive I didnt mention, they share a very important similarity with AOE -> they dont make cartoony graphics. Having also in mind the bad example of the Age of Empires: Online fiasco, it is more than safe to say we wont see cartoony graphics.
* Relic started favouring contestable mainstream gameplay mechanics (progression systems, MOBA) only when they were acquired by SEGA. Not only do they have the bad examples from Company of Heroes 2 and especially Dawn of War 3, but they are now contracted with Microsoft (probably paying SEGA full rights for "renting" the studio) for this huge project. Microsoft will surely be a better publisher and big company to work for, and it's unlikely they'll force Relic to adhere to some designs they already now they dont work and they are not wanted by the community.
So yep, I think it's the best decision, Relic is the best out there, huge experience and amazing CV, I trust them. I'm only afraid about the age they will pick, thankfully by judging the trailer, it's not going to be modern, we can see elements from the eras represented in AOE1 aending up eith the eras represented in AOE2. So it might be a mix of the first 2 games! Let's cross our fingers it's going to be as close as AOE2 in style.

Oct 8, 2010
For people who think that the game is on Xbox: All AOE games will be on Windows and Windows only.

The reason Xbox was mentioned is because players need an Xbox Live account to play (multiplayer), since Xbox Live is Microsoft's gaming eco-system. Match making and elo points will be operated there.
I imagine players also need to install a Steam-like application called Xbox (which can be downloaded on this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... jbd8?rtc=1). It is a little bit of a nuisance but bearable if the game is good enough.

Nov 23, 2011
When will AOE2 DE be out?
Will HD no longer be supported?
Is there any chance of DE being played on voobly?
How many fragments is the AOE2 community divided in?

BulgariaRorarimbo

Known Member
Jan 10, 2016
Bulgaria
When will AOE2 DE be out?
Will HD no longer be supported?
Is there any chance of DE being played on voobly?
How many fragments is the AOE2 community divided in?
I dont know the answers to these but my thoughts are.

HD will not be priority when DE is out. There is some chance DE will be available on Steam but I dont have high hpe for that as they are pushing towards their (MS) platform.

It will most likely not be available on Voobly. At least what they will be trying to with DE is make it what HD should hve been with good visual options with much better performance incuding dedicated servers and many others. They would try integrade some options from UP so it should be indeed good edition.

Well there will be people playing on Voobly on HD and on XBOX. As far as competative scene goes I expect that there will be no competitions on HD. MS will push their platform so they would fund DE events as they do now with HD. And I expect them to invest even more money in that. On the ther hand the community will continue run some tournaments of its own on Voobly as until now.

Having said that I think that DE will be much better product that HD is. THe problem is indeed the community will be devided even more at least at first. But it should increase on the other hand. The stupid thing is some ppl will be buying the game for third time nd others would feel forced to transition to Windows. So basicly MS will try to sell us the game again :lol: Yes it could be indeed the best opion to play the game out there, but seriously :smile:

Oct 8, 2010
They can do what Steam did with DotA 2: open a million dollar tournament before the game was published, then people rushed to play that game in droves.

Anyways, I just tried Mixer on one of my favourite gamer. Turn out the platform is pretty good, chat appears on screen instantly (in contrast to the 10 seconds delay in Twitch) and I haven't got any drop in 5 hours (probably due to lack of users, but we'll see).

I take my words about Mixer back. I left the video on the background doing another thing so I didn't notice that the video quality is not that good in term of controls. Still bearable for a one-time-thing though.

Oct 8, 2010
Hi, a friendly advice when viewing on Mixer is that it work best on Firefox.

I had problems with Chrome and Safari, but everything are perfect on Firefox.

JapaniPhone

Staff member
Dec 30, 2012
Tokyo
www.voobly.com
Voobly
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
If they are making a new AOE2, I really hope Voobly's pros(Bigger and longer history of Community and better performance of gaming with UserPatch) + HD's pros(OFFICIAL community, easier to start playing) will be shown up in the new one.

May 25, 2009
The release of AoE 1 DE is 20 years after the original edition so I guess the same goes for AoE 2 DE. If that's the case, we can expect its release in two years.

As for AoE IV, I think there will be a broader span of eras but they will probably tweak the isometric point of view and visuals as compared to previous AoE versions.

Jul 19, 2017
Curitiba/ Campinas
Congratz Viper! Also great job Tatito, MBL and -specially- Lierey!
Those were amazing games to watch and casting was top notch!
Even being an unknown noob, I knew pretty much everyone there because of watching so many streams and reading AOCzone and I wished so bad I was there, I'm sure everyone is having a great time =D

I hope more events like that come in the future =D

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL Europe East 4v4
Saturday 16:00 (GMT +02:00)
ECL Europe East 4v4 Finals
Weekend Smackdown
Sunday 18:00 (GMT +02:00)
1 day event 1v1 on Yucatan