Voobly Policy Updates for Streamers March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2010
Norway
Pretty much every AOE2 streamer out there playing on the client is already showing very clearly that they're playing on Voobly, talking positively about Voobly, trying to bring people to Voobly, having commands about Voobly in their chat, pretty much advertising for Voobly every single stream. I guess it's not enough...

My stream comeback will be on HD, join me everyone! :biggrin:

CanadaNuclearPasta

Known Member
Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Voobly
NuclearPasta
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
All the big streamers use Voobly and have promoted it heavily
All the professionals and high-rated players use the platform
All the tournaments use the platform
Unless Voobly thinks there are streamers out there purposely trying to deceive people as to what platform they're playing on I truly do not understand this

It's especially ridiculous when the only reason people use their client is to play and watch games Voobly doesn't actually have any rights to. Imagine if Microsoft required the Microsoft logo to be plastered all over Voobly for the use of Age of Empires. They could legally require that, but I think just about everyone would say that'd be a pretty shitty thing to do.

Requiring that all streamers have the Voobly logo present on their stream at all times just seems like a greedy promotion grab to me. It's just asking for Microsoft to raise an eyebrow at a client demanding free promotion while they use their games without permission.

And the "no Intended for Mature Audiences" on Twitch is just stupid. Imagine if Steam had that requirement or you'd be banned from Steam.

Wouldn't be surprised if ECL is switched back to Gameranger like what was originally planned...

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Wouldn't be surprised if ECL is switched back to Gameranger like what was originally planned...
Since the Saturday ECL stream only casts recorded games, perhaps we could work to get the offline spectator overlay working and use that for the weekend streams.

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
Here are the new rules:
  • All streamers must agree and follow the tournament protocol for Organized Events. Voobly.com reserves the right to remove the streaming privileges of any streamer at any time without notice for violations of the tournament protocol.
  • All streamers broadcasting games played on Voobly.com must add the Voobly logo to their video stream. The logo must be persistent, clearly visible and directly embedded into the video stream. The broadcast of games played on Voobly.com without the Voobly logo will be considered an abuse of streaming privileges.
  • All streamers broadcasting tournaments or events on Voobly.com must also add the logo and name of the tournament to their video stream. The logo and the name of the tournament must be persistent, clearly visible and directly embedded into the video stream. The broadcast of tournaments on Voobly.com without the tournament logo and tournament name will be considered an abuse of streaming privileges.
  • All streamers broadcasting on Voobly must turn off Twitch's "The broadcaster indicated that the channel is intended for mature audiences" notification. All video streams must be suitable for individuals who are 13 years of age or older. The broadcast of non-PG-13 contents will be considered an abuse of streaming privileges.
I think Voobly is shooting themselves in the foot once again, starting a crusade against the people who are persuading people to join their platform.

Norway_MbL_

Halberdier
May 23, 2013
Actually I have a comment.. lets advice all the streamers to not follow this nonsense. Good luck banning all the streamers and watch voobly die day by day. There is nothing to justify having us promoting voobly more than we already have done. Sorry I'm not jumping on your rule train.

UnknownCarlini8

Halberdier
Oct 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Classic Voobly.

Want to get their dictatorship power in writing so they can screw over people who have built their livelihood around the game if one of their mods or high ups gets angry.

Everyone has to display your logo? Who do you think you are? No other games have to do this, stop thinking you are special.

I guess reading all of this comes off as who do you think you are? They are going to enforce streamers having to put up the tournament logo? What on earth does that have to do with Voobly? That is up to the tournament host, not you, sort it out.

Not allowed to have the mature audiences notification? That legit feels illegal. At this point I would like to remind people that you can't just throw Ts and Cs up on a website and count it as legal terms. I have fought Ts and Cs like this before and won because that isn't how the law works.

It is reasons like this I stopped supporting Voobly with membership. Basically we have a platform that looks like it was created 1,000 years ago, handles like it was created 1,000 years ago but is sadly the best we have. The excellent work done by those outside this Voobly hierarchy is always delayed because of the person that makes money from Voobly. How long was our latest Beta for example.

I hope DE does exactly what they are aiming for: A better Voobly + better scenario editor + better AI + improved mod support. - This was their goal, I hope they succeed to the level everyone agrees and Voobly and HD players alike can all move over. I know people are very skeptical after HD, but we can hope eh? If they fail, as many people seem to expect, I guess we will either be left with putting up with Voobly thinking they are the gods of AoE2 or hopefully a crack team of experts can come up with something that at least handles like 2010.

Lets just get this right out there, why are they doing this?

It has been clear for months, years even at this point. They don't like they are not the #1 earner in AoE2 anymore.

A little aside here - Let's not pretend Voobly makes little to no money. When I tried to buy Voobly back when I first join the scene my plan was effectively just try to improve Voobly. I was told everyone working on it is a volunteer, making nothing from the platform. All profit is shoved to elusive who seemingly does the odd bit of work every 6 months at this point. An army of minions for no cost, the dream. I come in and ask about buying Voobly with the plan that all profit the platform makes gets put back into it. Actual improvements to the system. I was effectively told all staff would quit (odd given they are volunteers and I didn't really want to change anything just put the profit BACK INTO the platform not away, but oh well). Had a bit of a chat with a few ex Voobly employees/volunteers to see if they would be interested and they effectively warded me away saying it was rotten to the core and even buying it and replacing everything wouldn't help. I was made aware that the effective price to buy Voobly was $250k. Apparently the pandaTV china streaming platform thingy (if that is what it is called) was quoted this price. Standard valuation practices puts the post tax profits somewhere between $40-$50k a year.

Right, back to the point. If Voobly are making somewhere between $40-50k a year (complete guess based on information I received before - there is probably a way to find the company and look at their filing history but I have no clue how to do this outside the UK)for the years they are "saving the AoE community" then they are also the biggest earner from the AoE community. But then the twitch boom happens. Suddenly our top streamers are out earning them, people are actually making a living from this game and that really seems to piss some people off, so they are prepping to lash out.

We are growing at an excellent rate right now and that has nothing to do with Voobly. But Voobly is where everyone plays you cry! Well, why has the game not been growing like this since when fire was invented given that is when we first saw Vooblys UI. Voobly has changed pretty much nothing since then. The userpatch team, WK guys and I am sure many other tech support guys have helped push things more than Voobly have. Twitch and the streaming community have pushed numbers through the roof. The growth of twitch, our big streamers, Rocketbeans TV, HD - hell even Microsoft getting involved with prizepools again. Microsoft putting KOTD2 and NAC2 on the launcher will have brought so many viewers to us.

Basically, screw Voobly and their god complex.

If DE sux, can some super smart team make us something good please?

Apr 11, 2018
Voobly
TheSilverElite_
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Classic Voobly.
It is reasons like this I stopped supporting Voobly with membership. Basically we have a platform that looks like it was created 1,000 years ago, handles like it was created 1,000 years ago but is sadly the best we have. The excellent work done by those outside this Voobly hierarchy is always delayed because of the person that makes money from Voobly. How long was our latest Beta for example.
I know a heck of alot of people PUT OFF voobly because its technical issues have bugged them so much, disappointing really

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
I was referring to what the rule meant, is it specifically saying you cant play other games while having lobby sim?
I think it is mainly to prevent people making a lobby just to promote their game and idle in that lobby, but the way it's worded it seems like it's not allowed to play some games while the room fills up either.

Austriateutonic_tanks

Two handed swordman
Mar 30, 2013
All streamers broadcasting on Voobly must turn off Twitch's "The broadcaster indicated that the channel is intended for mature audiences" notification.
This is so stupid, you pretty much have to decide, if you either want to risk to be banned on twitch, if you say something wrong or be banned from streaming on voobly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 3v3 Grand Final
Sunday 18:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 3v3 Grand Final
DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)