Units fight simulator

Unknownfilifow

Oct 6, 2017
Hello guys, I've made this 1v1 fight simulator for AoE2 units. As you might guess, it calculates outcome of fight between two selected units. I made it mainly for fun as I wanted to get familiar with basics of web development in somewhat entertaining way. Which worked and I know more stuff now. If AoE2 community also finds it useful, it would be a nice additional benefit. It is by no means perfect, but at minimum it provides clear overview of stats relevant for interaction between units and helps to identify potential counters.
With this post I am just trying to let people know it exists. Sorry if this is not correct section to post this kind of stuff, I was not sure. Feedback & questions are welcome. There's more info in "about" section of the page if anyone is interested.

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
Hey, nice job! Would be nice if you could select the upgrades which affected the units as well instead of having to manually add them with the arrows

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Known Member
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Cool site.

• Is it possible to extend this to more than 1 unit fights? like 10 samurais vs 10 berserkers which could be done in scenario editor.
  • Arambai vs Mele unit (e.g. berserkers) result in mele unit doing 0 damage. Intended?

NetherlandsiViktorius

Well Known Pikeman
May 9, 2014
The Netherlands
there are indeed some bugs, for example arambai vs certain units, (berserk, champion, battering ram) it's not all melee units though because it works for karambit and boyar (I checked with random units)

Unknownfilifow

Oct 6, 2017
Cool site.

• Is it possible to extend this to more than 1 unit fights? like 10 samurais vs 10 berserkers which could be done in scenario editor.
  • Arambai vs Mele unit (e.g. berserkers) result in mele unit doing 0 damage. Intended?
  • More than one unit would be much more difficult, and potentially redundant. It's a bit like recreating game itself. 1v1 is very simple, but still can tell you a lot.
  • Yes, unit with bigger range deals extra damage during the time it takes for other unit to approach. If the unit with range advantage also has significant speed advantage, it assumes that other unit will never be able to approach. So there is assumption of some primitive micro. Potentially I could include some sort of switch that would allow you to choose calculaction with micro/no micro.

Unknownfilifow

Oct 6, 2017
Hey, nice job! Would be nice if you could select the upgrades which affected the units as well instead of having to manually add them with the arrows
Thanks, I chose this format partially because I am lazy to collect data on upgrades and partially because it keeps things simple and readable. Mostly the first one though. But I will think about it.

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Known Member
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
  • More than one unit would be much more difficult, and potentially redundant. It's a bit like recreating game itself. 1v1 is very simple, but still can tell you a lot.
  • Yes, unit with bigger range deals extra damage during the time it takes for other unit to approach. If the unit with range advantage also has significant speed advantage, it assumes that other unit will never be able to approach. So there is assumption of some primitive micro. Potentially I could include some sort of switch that would allow you to choose calculaction with micro/no micro.

- Sorry but 1v1 fight leads to wrong conclusion in many cases. Champion vs Arblasts, 1v1 champion wins. 20 vs 20, no brainer that champions will lose. I do agree though that it will be complicated to implement.

- In the Arambai case you are assuming that it's hitting & running away all the time while Berserkers just keeps chasing it mindlessly. So kinda one way micro. Also you assume perfect accuracy which Arambai doesn't have.

Unknownfilifow

Oct 6, 2017
- Sorry but 1v1 fight leads to wrong conclusion in many cases. Champion vs Arblasts, 1v1 champion wins. 20 vs 20, no brainer that champions will lose. I do agree though that it will be complicated to implement.

- In the Arambai case you are assuming that it's hitting & running away all the time while Berserkers just keeps chasing it mindlessly. So kinda one way micro. Also you assume perfect accuracy which Arambai doesn't have.
The assumption of hit and run seems to me more reasonable than "fair fight" but sure there could be situations where you would not be able to run. I will probably include an option to turn it off.

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Known Member
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The assumption of hit and run seems to me more reasonable than "fair fight" but sure there could be situations where you would not be able to run. I will probably include an option to turn it off.
Any normal player will stop chasing a unit which is just running hitting and running away. My point is that for one unit you are choosing intelligent behavior while for 2nd you are just using brainless behavior.

I know it's just a 1v1 simulation which from game point of view doesn't mean anything. I was just pointing out that intelligent behavior should be for both units and you should factor accuracy, LOS, attack delay. Units stop when they atttavk, they don't keep moving.

Last edited:

Unknownfilifow

Oct 6, 2017
Any normal player will stop chasing a unit which is just running hitting and running away. My point is that for one unit you are choosing intelligent behavior while for 2nd you are just using brainless behavior.

I know it's just a 1v1 simulation which from game point of view doesn't mean anything. I was just pointing out that intelligent behavior should be for both units and you should factor accuracy, LOS, attack delay. Units stop when they atttavk, they don't keep moving.
My main hope is that it can help people with decision making regarding units. I agree that you probably would not chase cavalry archers with slower melee units, but once you select those two units I want the tool to convey the idea that slower melee is not going to do well. When one unit has more range and is faster, the other unit has very limited options. Even if player with melee chooses not to fight (which I guess is already outside of scope of fight simulator) the faster unit has an option to chase it.
But anyway I want to include attack delay in the calculation to be certain that hit and run is possible with given speed advantage. Currently the threshold is just 0.2 speed difference, which might not be enough for some units.
For now I advise to use the tool with caution in those ranged faster vs less ranged slower scenarios. If nothing else people can ignore the results and just look at numbers and use their own game experience to judge.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Weekend Smackdown
Sunday 18:00 (GMT +02:00)
1 day event 1v1 on Yucatan
LotH2 - Semifinals
Sunday 19:00 (GMT +02:00)
TheViper vs MbL
St4rk vs Mattheus Bo5 Showmatch presented by DemEyesRed