You nerfed their splash damage from 50% to 25%. Great. That clearly only made them only 200% overpowered instead of 250%
You nerfed farming by 3%. They still got awesome farmers.
It's not enough. Even if an elephant had zero splash damage, they would be completely unstoppable. Why? Let's break it down:
- In teamgames, they are mostly used as tanks, not dps (Although their dps is way, way higher than a knight compared to their cost.)
- They are effectively as fast as a knight in battles (They easily outrun crossbows and archers even without huspandry.) and Khmer can easily afford 150 food into huspandry, making them nearly as fast as a knight (and equally as fast as an eagle warrior without squires)
- Their training time is 24 seconds... 6 seconds less than a knight. WHY?
- Their cost: An Elephant costs only twice as much food as a knight and 5 less gold than a knight! Consider that for a moment. and a lot of that is nullified by their farming bonus, so compared to other civs like franks or huns, their elephant might as well cost 100 food and 70 gold even if you dont take snowballing into effect (The food you save on having more food in the first place, combined with the wood you save from no buildings.)
That's roughly 125% of the price of a knight!
What do you get in return?
- 250% more hp (225% with bloodlines)
- + 6 damage vs buildings (which combined with all else is completely broken)
- basically a fast moving siege tank, which in situations when you are forced to fight non stop, is -unbeatable. No dps in the world can make up for that.
- (So its safe to say that 1 ele is worth more than 2 knights, yet 1 ele produces faster than 1 knight.)
Let alone, in imp they become like cheat units that is available at an akward timing. +7 attack on elephants is INSANE. Their elite upgrade takes only 100 sec to finish (versus the paladin 170s from cavalier) and is cheaper than the paladin upgrade.
Khmer seriously dont need +3 atk on their elephants in imperial age. At least increase the cost of tusk swords. It feels way too cheap atm.
The devs did something dumb. They nerfed all elephants, when in reality they should only have nerfed the Khmer ones.
For example, if they removed 50 HP from only Khmer eles, I think they would be perfectly fine. Maybe still a bit too strong even...
How to properly nerf? A few suggestions:
- Double their gold cost (They would still be cost efficient compared to kts)
- Nerf their speed bonus to 5%. Remove huspandry. Add the missing bonus to their UT+compensation for huspandry, AND nerf their production speed a bit.
- Increase production time from 24 sec to 48 sec (Although that would sadly nerf all ele civs in the process, and khmer can afford an extra stable easy)
Fix Khmer. It's just no fun playing against it... A 1700 player can easily feel stronger than a 2k+ player with this civ, and put a player like Nicov with Khmer pocket against you, and you can just resign if you have any other pocket civ (for real). The only civ that stands a chance against it is Indians.
Im not saying Khmer is free win. You still have to play properly. Theres a 1000 ways to beat most players with Khmer, however you have to outplay them, or hope for a very unwallable map. Then you can at least raid Khmer a bit.
If both teams play properly, it usually turns into a numbers game, which nothing can compete with Khmer pocket assisted with xbows on flank.