The Escape Champions League

ecl-header.png

It is our pleasure to announce the Escape Champions League (ECL), a new Age of Empires II tournament organised by Escape Gaming in partnership with Microsoft. This is by far our largest event yet, with 8 teams, 14 events and $60,000 in prize pool. The tournament will end with a LAN final where the top two teams will compete face to face in a final showdown.

A complete event summary can be found on the official Age of Empires Website and the Rules and Settings can be found in the ECL Handbook. We will be holding the community discussion here on AoEZone in the Escape Champions League sub-forum.

Registration is now open.

Key Facts:
Prize: $60,000
Teams: 8
Players: 4-6 per Team
Finals: LAN (TBA)
Qualification: Open

Format:
14 Single Elimination Brackets
League System

Streaming:
Policy: Semi-Open
Main Channel: http://twitch.tv/escapeaoe
Read more

Comments

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
How does this tournament compare against recent big tournaments (single event)

Nations Cup - TG - 30,000 - 3 months
KOTD - 1v1 - 4,000 - 1.5 month
BOA - 3v3 - 6,500 - 2 months

----

ECL - Mixed - 60,000 - 12 months, 7 stages, 14 events

Last edited:

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com

----

ECL - Mixed - 60,000 - 12 months, 10 events
Where did you get 10 events from?

There's either 7 stages, or 14 events not including the LAN.

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Where did you get 10 events from?

There's either 7 stages, or 14 events not including the LAN.
ok 14 events, I stand corrected on that one. Fixed

----

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014

----

That's a pretty subjective way to present the stats, you're not counting the money that is needed for the LAN, which is a big part as well and you're not accounting for the admin weeks.

Let's compare a single 1v1 event to KotD, a 3v3 event to BoA and a 4v4 event to NC:

KotD - $4000 - 1.5 month
ECL 1v1 event - $2800 - 3 weeks

BoA - $6500 - 2 months
ECL 3v3 event - $4200 - 3 weeks

Nations Cup - $30,000 + LAN - 3 months
ECL 4v4 event - $5700 - 3 weeks

I think this is a more accurate comparison compared to the one you presented, even though I didn't account for the LAN finals either.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
That's a pretty subjective way to present the stats, you're not counting the money that is needed for the LAN, which is a big part as well and you're not accounting for the admin weeks.

Let's compare a single 1v1 event to KotD, a 3v3 event to BoA and a 4v4 event to NC:

KotD - $4000 - 1.5 month
ECL 1v1 event - $2800 - 3 weeks

BoA - $6500 - 2 months
ECL 3v3 event - $4200 - 3 weeks

Nations Cup - $30,000 + LAN - 3 months
ECL 4v4 event - $5700 - 3 weeks

I think this is a more accurate comparison compared to the one you presented, even though I didn't account for the LAN finals either.
Your way of looking at it is fine as well. The idea was to put 60,000 in context.

Just as a whole 60,000 is really big. While the fact which is a bit obscured is that 60k is for 14 events over a period of 12 months.

AustriaJuvenal

Known Member
May 22, 2017
Perspective matters, yes. $ 60.000 is still the biggest amout of money put in by a single sponsor since WiC and the second biggest since 10 or more years. Microsoft wants to see growing viewer numbers, Escape Gaming tries to make this game more professional and E-sports like and made up something what looks like fun and none repetitive settings.
All recent tournaments were important, showed huge effort, had great viewer numbers and probably made it even possible that Microsoft would provide that much money for a tournament.

Jan 22, 2018
If you want to put it in context, you could mention more than 60k prize pool as it is also + LAN event, map contest, MVP contest, travel expenses for teams, casters, ... to LAN and surely more.
EscapeAoE also mentioned "...with any excess at the end of the year being added to the LAN final prize-pool....".

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
If you want to put it in context, you could mention more than 60k prize pool as it is also + LAN event, map contest, MVP contest, travel expenses for teams, casters, ... to LAN and surely more.
EscapeAoE also mentioned "...with any excess at the end of the year being added to the LAN final prize-pool....".
It's closer to 90,000 USD when you consider LAN costs and extras.

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Since when we started adding cost of organization to prize pool. LAN details are still unknown so I don't want to speculate about it.

MVP total is 1600$

Narrative of 60,000 event is misleading because it's not like it's for one tournament running over 2-3 months.

60K is aggregate over 14 events running over a period of 12 months. On an average the prize money here is very similar to KOTD, BOA and Escape events of 2017. It pales in comparison to Nations cup 2017 which was a real 30k single event.

War is Coming was a big event. 120,000, 5-6 months, participation from many teams and not just limitrd to same 8 teams for whole year.

UnknownCarlini8

Halberdier
Oct 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Since when we started adding cost of organization to prize pool. LAN details are still unknown so I don't want to speculate about it.

MVP total is 1600$

Narrative of 60,000 event is misleading because it's not like it's for one tournament running over 2-3 months.

60K is aggregate over 14 events running over a period of 12 months. On an average the prize money here is very similar to KOTD, BOA and Escape events of 2017. It pales in comparison to Nations cup 2017 which was a real 30k single event.

War is Coming was a big event. 120,000, 5-6 months, participation from many teams and not just limitrd to same 8 teams for whole year.
If you want to continue allowing the point to fly over your head you can keep going down this route I guess.

This 60k has come from Microsoft. This hasn't come from the SY sponsor, this hasn't come from a collection of donations, this isn't a show match sponsored by one person.

This event is about potential. Have you read the handbook? There are points about future sponsors and how Escape can tell other casters, these guys are sponsoring the event, you have to show this video on your stream. We get big viewers numbers for the first stage, all of a sudden we might have some graphics card company, some mouse company, some keyboard company, maybe even a console company say, hey guys, we will like to sponsor $X.

These sponsors then get something in return, they are advertising to X amount of people, they are making a potential return on their investment and guess what? As a community we may show to be lucrative enough for them to return with more. So far we have gone along the lines of, private individual or collection of private individuals put up cash, we make a tournament with that, private individuals get nothing in return bar a love of the game. While that is great, it isn't sustainable and isn't really possible to push forward unless suddenly one of the richest people in the world decide they want AoE to get big.

This shows a chance at real progression. In my time in the community we have seen AoE twitch viewers increase and increase yet there has been no real change in how we do things. Escape are trying to change that, just look at that handbook man. Everything is so clear and set in stone, it is hard to have drama about X or Y because they have covered all bases. They have also shown they are open to change already having updated the handbook due to community response.

This could be a 180k prizepool event over 1 year, making it to a 15k a month event, beating NCs 10k a month, KoTDs 2.6k a month, BoAs 3.2k a month and still the prizepool would matter about the same as it does now.

The prizepool is there to motivate players to really train for the event, however still for the majority of the top streaming players, even a 180k prizepool wouldn't be their main source of income once it is all broken down and spread out. What should motivate the players is the potential of this event, why?

How big is our community now? Firstly, I will cut out the Chinese figures for this. It is sad that a language barrier and the great firewall splits us so much but for example it is unlikely that Lireryy would make much money from the Chinese community bar prizepools from Chinese events. Very generally speaking Chinese viewers will watch streams of Chinese players and RoW will watch others. We are maybe a more accitve community of say 5k, 10k at a push. You then reach the outer edges and this figure can push up to maybe 100k but these extra people really do not know too much about the competitive game.

If I am a player now I think am I bullish or bearish on AoE. If I think AoE is going to grow in the next year then this tournament could be a massive stepping stone. Personally I think there is a serious of events that leads to us seeing 50k viewers on AoE2 streams often by the launch of AoE2 DE. I am not saying this will certainly happen, but you could list many IF this happens, then this would be possible. We are probably able to pull 3/4k now on a normal day if our big streamers are all streaming and more if there is a big event. If our community does grow by a factor of 10, then these new people are going to mainly know who they watch. They have a league here to watch the best AoE2 players they currently have. Are new players going to know about Halen or are they going to know about The Max? Are new players going to know about Grunt or are they going to know about ACCM?

A few big IFs. IF our community does ten X, IF a (not currently top 10 player) does perform excellently over the next year and build a following while streaming and IF the community keeps growing after DE we could easily see this streamer with viewer figures a few factors bigger than Viper and T90 have right now. This doesn't mean that they will be bigger than those two as you would very much expect if the community is growing ten X that their viewer numbers would do something similar so comparatively this new superstar would have a smaller chunk of the pie than our superstars now, however that would be a smaller chunk of a much bigger pie.

If you are a top streamer and have the personality to stream, I suggest really giving it a go over the next year and seeing what you can do. Streaming has a big learning curve and if you get going now you may just be ready for the explosion. If you need motivation that people can go from a top player to a streamer, look no further than DauT. He very much has the personality to stream, so it may not be the same for everyone, but his stream now is so different to his stream a year ago.

Anyway, I went a bit off the point here.

This tournament is about so much more than the prizepool, it is about the potential.

If a top player wants motivation, think about the future and where the game could go. We will never be DoTA, we will never be Fortnite, but the chances are, if you are a top AoE player now, you have a better chance to take a large % of our soon to be growing pie.

Also something to add onto the end for players to think about. When discussing if you want to be involved in a showmatch you can also benefit from exposure not just $$. If a streamer is going to host a show match you can negotiate for X amount of sellout. Maybe the streamer has to host you x times in the weeks following the event, maybe they have to post the link to your stream at the end of the event, maybe after every game. Get them to plug you etc. This could lead to futher $ via more viewers and subs than the direct $ would ever make. Stream growth is more than the bigger one off pay out.

Jan 22, 2018
Since when we started adding cost of organization to prize pool.
If it was only about prize pool they could do it without LAN with prize pool 90k or more so I think you need to take it into account.

60K is aggregate over 14 events running over a period of 12 months. On an average the prize money here is very similar to KOTD, BOA and Escape events of 2017.
Yeah, and isn't it great for players, streamers, viewers, .....?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018
Hello, sorry if not correct here, I don't know where else to ask, but are the games from this tournament uploaded on Youtube? They're not on ZeroEmpires channel, is there a special Escape channel? I know I can watch replays on Twitch but for some reason I can't watch those smoothly 90% of the time.

May 26, 2017
Voobly
Nico77
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak

Time

Your time