The Escape Champions League

ecl-header.png

It is our pleasure to announce the Escape Champions League (ECL), a new Age of Empires II tournament organised by Escape Gaming in partnership with Microsoft. This is by far our largest event yet, with 8 teams, 14 events and $60,000 in prize pool. The tournament will end with a LAN final where the top two teams will compete face to face in a final showdown.

A complete event summary can be found on the official Age of Empires Website and the Rules and Settings can be found in the ECL Handbook. We will be holding the community discussion here on AoEZone in the Escape Champions League sub-forum.

Registration is now open.

Key Facts:
Prize: $60,000
Teams: 8
Players: 4-6 per Team
Finals: LAN (TBA)
Qualification: Open

Format:
14 Single Elimination Brackets
League System

Streaming:
Policy: Semi-Open
Main Channel: http://twitch.tv/escapeaoe
Read more

Comments

AustraliaSocksyy

Halberdier
Nov 6, 2013
Australia
Voobly
Socksyy
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Oh the last thing I have to complain about and then ill stop! the turnover between announcement and "qualifiers" if you sent out an announcement with a couple months advance, teams could actually prepare players and train and be ready for a real qualifier instead of quickly rush to get whoever they can in a week. This aswell only benefits the highest tier teams
Very true :smile:

United KingdomFall

Halberdier
Jun 12, 2013
Voobly
Fallstar
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Great settings, looks like it's going to be one hell of a tournament. Hope all the hard work behind the scenes pays off.

United StatesMaccenabus

Jan 23, 2011
Chicago USA
Voobly
Maccenabus
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The only reason people are complaining about GR is because its complete shit of a platform. Its like buying a new car. .. only it has 100,000 miles and no factory warranty. We all stopped in at GR in the past when IGZ was down in between Voobly. We all left for a reason. The ones that stayed also stayed for a reason. Because it is so easy to cheat. There was never any other reason to not move to Voobly other than hacking and cheating. To use an outdated and subpar platform to host such events is mind boggling. And yes you linked to the policy on the platform but there is still no reason given to NOT use the BEST platform. Other than - we met with Voobly in the past and it didnt go so good. Terrible. Really terrible.

On a positive note. Great tournament and rules and look forward to watching.

Chilezuviss

Two handed swordman
Mar 14, 2010
You can do all of that on Voobly and not get caught. If someone really wanted to cheat on any platform they could do it. Voobly just makes it slightly harder.
We will be watching very carefully and have some things in place to manage this.

Just look at Valve and csgo and the measures they take to stop cheaters with VÁC and overwatch; and yet there’s still cheaters around every corner. If people want to do it they can do it, eventually they get caught.
the 1.0c hacks before 1.0e are so easy to get and still work, deleting enemy units, no fog of war, etc. in voobly is waaaaaaaaay harder.

I don't think the top players will cheat though, but you never know with this kind of money people show their true colors. I'd be specially careful with the new teams though. Maybe you should add some kind of harsh penalty for this in the document.

Unknownorangereaper

Aug 21, 2014
First of all hats off on able to pull off a tournament of this stature.
$60,000 is no joke. It's breaking new barriers.

EG has always had a quality production. I like the idea of able to watch top level games on every weekend at a given time. Without having to wait for the players to join and watch the lobby simulator.
The prize distro is also a great idea. Each game count and even for the underdogs, even if they are going to lose it still everything to play for.

The only downside I see is that the LAN GrandFinal prize-pool looks underwhelming. OTher than that this is awesome, every week open the pop-corn, open a beer. Sit back and enjoy ...

Mar 12, 2018
Voobly
liverpoolgamer
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
First of all hats off on able to pull off a tournament of this stature.
$60,000 is no joke. It's breaking new barriers.

EG has always had a quality production. I like the idea of able to watch top level games on every weekend at a given time. Without having to wait for the players to join and watch the lobby simulator.
The prize distro is also a great idea. Each game count and even for the underdogs, even if they are going to lose it still everything to play for.

The only downside I see is that the LAN GrandFinal prize-pool looks underwhelming. OTher than that this is awesome, every week open the pop-corn, open a beer. Sit back and enjoy ...
i agree with everything you said. if we look at the lan finals all by itself it looks underwhelming but the things is that the top 2 teams are gonna win probably most of the continent series anyway so it will all add up i guess

GermanyELQuark

Jun 21, 2014
Voobly
ELQuark
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Nice announcement!

But I have serious concerns about GR:
1. Anti-cheat is literally non-existant. How will we know if certain players have no-fog-of-war hacks? There is no control until the live LAN, which is a huge downside. You don't need obvious hacks to get a huge advantage in AoE. And @ZeroEmpires , I think you shouldn't compare it with Valve and VAC, this isn't really "Pro"-Level. Most expert players don't play on valves servers, they're using ESEA or Faceit which keeps cheaters more under check.
2. The Players will have to test and play the new platform before the tournament. Will that happen? Isn't that leading to more platform splitting (like voobly/HD already happenend)? Also most players don't play on GR, it may also affect the quality of the tournament (connection issues, drops, restoring games etc.). I fear most players don't have enough experience on a (almost) unknown platform.

Last edited:

Unknownmogers87

Feb 26, 2017
I've had this sentiment before in other kinds of tournaments (e.g. Google Code Jam). However, you need to take into account that each player will have a trip to the lan with all expenses paid: flights, hotel, food. We're talking about expenses of $1000++ per player (casters and admins too). Most importantly, these expenses are not taken from the $60,000 prize pool.

Aug 1, 2017
@Carlini8 Salty? Yeah I am, but for a different reason - how few people with influence and power or means to do things actually, truly care for the community itself, and then also how few understand what their actions mean and what are their real effects on the community. And how many profess to do so (especially on the former), only to fool others into filling their coffers, taking the resources from truly well-minded efforts that then just don't even see the light of day. That to me, as someone literally living the franchise, working for the "Age of" (Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III and Age of Mythology) communities for about 15 years now, hoping to give something useful to the players, is downright frustrating.

The real worrying thing here that is even scaring me at times is how few people can actually properly follow (or are even interested in doing so) what's going on in the community and what certain people are doing and what their motivations are and what they're trying to hide behind pretty talk and classic "bread and games." It's not really even that hard in most cases and doesn't require backstage information, it's all out there in the open, all you need to do is pay attention and not just blindly trust the first thing you see or hear and PR talk. I was hoping people will increasingly start wisening up on the things undermining the community when it's becoming more and more common and also apparent, and it's happening, but people are often afraid to speak up not to get mobbed on for no reason, because that's what happens regularly by aggressive fanboys who are plenty, and unfortunately not only them, as often the painted picture is just too nice to want to believe it might not be true, that I finally got tired of this disingenuous and dishonest behaviour serving only certain selves and not really the community and decided to maybe inspire and speak up to help the community realise certain things are not as they seem and you better pay attention not to make rush judgements, because I do pay attention and have the benefit of even deeper understanding and insight, so I'm in a position to offer the different perspective.

If anything, I'm trying to be mild and spaced in my posts relative to what is going on, trying to keep to the point, but when what I say is in stark contrast to the perceived "reality" of many, it sure can seem harsh and "spity," but, well, that's the inconveniency of the other side of the story, it's often quite uncompromising and not as nice.

If people are not brought to account for what they do, it allows them to continue repeating their MO taking advantage of all of us, the community, for their own personal benefit and profit, which is exactly what's going on here, again, and unaware players are happily clapping, because they believe the PR and don't question the nature of their reality (to borrow a line), because it's really just so nice and they want to believe it. Changing of opinions can happen, but if you have a significant burden from the past regarding that, you need to owe to it, which is just not happening at all, it's actually kind of the opposite, making it even worse.

Supposed and self-proclaimed "community leaders" are exactly the people who need to have a clear past, present and future, because they shape the community, and I hope you don't want the community to be shaped by untrustworthy people with questionable record.

As for the part about the tournament set-up - see above - community management is a really, seriously complex matter, and what Spring says, and what I said even before e.g. in the topic about showmatches, is just how it is - small invitationals are bad for competitive community, doubly so for a small and just growing one as ours. It has been proven before. It's cool for overall casual growth and mainly making the host money as it makes a nice show, but it stifles the competitive part, which is kind of counter-productive and against what is being claimed, isn't it.

Just to name a random idea, you could at least have the same qualifications for all the stops instead of just the one.
I am trying to make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you think ZeroEmpires and the other tournament organizers are doing this purely for personal gain? And that the way in which they have structured this tournament is actually harmful to the community?

(Again, just seeking to make sure I understand what it is you are trying to say, I am not questioning or affirming its truth)

FinlandTempires

Mar 16, 2013
Finland
the 1.0c hacks before 1.0e are so easy to get and still work, deleting enemy units, no fog of war, etc. in voobly is waaaaaaaaay harder.

I don't think the top players will cheat though, but you never know with this kind of money people show their true colors. I'd be specially careful with the new teams though. Maybe you should add some kind of harsh penalty for this in the document.
Nice announcement!

But I have serious concerns about GR:
1. Anti-cheat is literally non-existant. How will we know if certain players have no-fog-of-war hacks? There is no control until the live LAN, which is a huge downside. You don't need obvious hacks to get a huge advantage in AoE.
HD edition doesn't have anti-cheat either and that was fine for last escape gaming events. I don't think HD is any better than GR.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
HD edition doesn't have anti-cheat either and that was fine for last escape gaming events. I don't think HD is any better than GR.
Actually that is a really good point. There will mainly be very well known community members and none of them (aside Nicov with his mangonel delete hacks 11) is known for any kind of cheating.
I really doubt there will be cheaters involved in this tournament.

AustriaJuvenal

Known Member
May 22, 2017
i think the most harmful way of cheating will be "scouting" the fog with buildings for enemy units und forwards. i don't understand why this is still possible. i can't imagine anyone would use any other hacks without getting caught.

EDIT: we won't even "see" this unless the players post a POV gameplay afterwards on YT.

Last edited:

Chilezuviss

Two handed swordman
Mar 14, 2010
i think the most harmful way of cheating will be "scouting" the fog with buildings for enemy units und forwards. i don't understand why this is still possible. i can't imagine anyone would use any other hacks without getting caught.

EDIT: we won't even "see" this unless the players post a POV gameplay afterwards on YT.
the thing is that the cheats that you just can download by googling are hard to spot. Imagine a 3v3 scenario with multiple massive fights happening and one guy starts deleting low hp enemy units, its practically undetectable and can easily turn the tide in some games.

but i agree i dont think the usual pros will use any of this but i'd have new players under a magnifiying glass. Well, i guess it all depends on who signs up.

EDIT: its on voobly now so everything ive been arguing abput is useless now LUL gl hf

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
the thing is that the cheats that you just can download by googling are hard to spot. Imagine a 3v3 scenario with multiple massive fights happening and one guy starts deleting low hp enemy units, its practically undetectable and can easily turn the tide in some games.

but i agree i dont think the usual pros will use any of this but i'd have new players under a magnifiying glass. Well, i guess it all depends on who signs up.

EDIT: its on voobly now so everything ive been arguing abput is useless now LUL gl hf
Where did you find this info? I can't seem to find it!

Oct 20, 2010
Wow, this tournament should be really exciting. I particularly like the continents idea, it feels like the sort of imaginative idea that can actually capture more interest for AoC altogether.

To Black Adder: I can see where you're coming from. Having had conversations with different people around Escape Gaming, I can say with near certainty that their actions (which includes making this tournament) are at least somewhat rooted in their self-interests. As further evidence, I myself have tried to contact ZeroEmpires and others in the past in regards to if he was interested in DM; I was always met with no response. This is something I never had an issue with past tournament organizers (for example Taff). The fact is, Escape Gaming is not very open to outside suggestions that may work against their own personal interests, which involve ways to appeal to their base (most but not all of the community) and hence leading to more revenues. A notable exception to this is Robo, who might as well be named the Saint of AoC.

Now before anyone gets up-in-arms about what I have written so far, I need to make another important point. If our beloved AoC is really to grow to become what all of us are hoping it will, it needs people who are willing to commit more of their time to the game. By this, I mean that it needs players/admins who are willing to go beyond making AoC a side hobby, instead treating it more like their main job/career. AoC becomes more like their primary source of income, in stark contrast to people who only view AoC as a casual side-hobby. Therefore, it is only natural that their self-interests play a bigger role. I want to stress that this is a good thing; it is only a sign that AoC is turning into the larger, more serious "e-sport" that nearly everyone would love to see. If anything, we should be applauding ZeroEmpires and Escape Gaming for their efforts, and encouraging more of this type of thing by continuing to support them.

Anyway, that is my two-cents on the issue. I hope that it creates some form of bridge between the arguments made by Black Adder and Carlini8, which I will refrain from quoting here. Everyone should try to remember that regardless of your level of self-interest in AoC, creating events like this only serves to grow the game we all love.

Long live AoC!

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Hidden Cup 2 Qualification Final
Wednesday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
dogao vs LaaaaaN
DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT