SY Nations Cup 2017 - Wrap-up

Netherlandsprv_limb

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2014

After 137 days and 268 recorded matches SY Nations Cup 2017 has ended. The tournament saw 94 teams and 580 players sign up to participate, which is a lot more than originally expected. This resulted in a massive Silver League, where losing teams in the rounds before the Gold League could sign up to continue playing in the tournament. A format we would like to use again in the future to give teams of all skill levels more competitive matches and experience.

Tournament Overview
  • In total 73 teams entered the Silver League group stage, sadly not all of these teams had enough time during the summer to field a 3 man team, which resulted in a couple of withdrawals and therefore AWs in certain groups.
    There was an upset in 6 groups, with Australia A beating Argentina C in Group A to finish second in their group, Mexico C did the same thing to Chile C in Group B, In group E Finland B missed out on the knockout stage despite having a good position after drawing against France A before losing against the opponents Italy A who took their spot. (hong kong) Hong Kong A beat their direct opponents Colombia A for a spot in the knockout stage in Group F. Germany E took a spot in the knockout stage in front of 2 higher seeds in Group G, they drew against the second seed Belgium A and won against the third seed Brazil D in Group G and lastly in group K United Kingdom B qualified for the knockout stage by beating bottom seed Spain E 4:0, while Venezuela A (seeded second in the group) beat Spain E only 3:1. The match between United Kingdom B and Venezuela A ended in a 2:2, meaning United Kingdom B would qualify for the knockout stage instead.
    This means that Germany E and United Kingdom B were the biggest upsets in the Silver League group stage by qualifying as seed 46 and seed 37 respectively, they knocked out the 2 highest seeds that did not make the knockout stage in Belgium A (seed 16) and Venezuela A (seed 15) respectively.
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - SL Group Stage Bracket A-F
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - SL Group Stage Bracket G-L
    The teams that did not qualify for the Gold League knockout stage entered in the Silver League knockout stage as the top 8 seeds. China EMA got the top seed and eventually finished 2nd in the Silver League. 3 Gold League teams didn't make it to the Quarter Finals, United States A (seed 4) losing to seed 13 Japan A, Chile B (seed 7) losing to seed 10 Sweden A and Spain A (seed 3) losing to seed 19 France A. Japan A went on to beat another Gold League drop down in Brazil C (seed 5) to reach the Semi Final where seed 1 (china China EMA) proved too strong for them, making Japan A arguably the biggest surprise of the tournament finishing 3rd after beating 3 teams seeded higher than them in the knockout stage.
    Silver League was eventually won by the 2nd seed of the Silver League (czech) Czech Republic A, having a fairly easy time in the Silver League knockout stage only losing 4 games in 4 matches. However the Grand Final itself was everything but easy for them, they won the match 4:3 after being 3:0 down against China EMA.
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - SL Knockout Stage Bracket
    The Gold League group stage had relatively low surprising results, Finland A was probably the biggest surprise in the group stage, but not because of their strong performance, they drew twice against Canada A and China EMA, leaving them with the second lowest seed for the knockout stage. Another surprise, according to the seed would be Vietnam B beating Austria A, but Austria A didn't play that matchup with their strongest line-up with Liereyy oversleeping for the first few games.
    China SY finished the group stage as top seed.
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - GL Group Stage Bracket
    Due to Finland A's performance in the group stage they went from second seed before the tournament started to 7th seed in the knockout stage. This meant an early match between the original seed 1 and seed 2 China SY and Finland A. This match meant an early exit of China SY to the loser bracket, but it was a loss against the eventual number 2 of the tournament. The rest of the winner bracket (apart from Finland A) had no upset. Brazil A were involved in the next two upset, first beating China SY 3:0 and then losing to lower seed China Frantic, although it was only one spot. China Frantic won the match against Brazil A and faced the other Brazilian team in the Loser bracket final for a spot in the LAN final in China. Brazil B managed to beat China Frantic to secure a trip to China.
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - GL Knockout Stage Bracket
    The Grand Final was a rematch of the winner bracket final between Finland A and Brazil B, with Brazil B looking for revenge after their 4:3 defeat in the winner bracket. The LAN event was held in Fuzhou, China with the teams and edie traveling to the event.
    Brazil B was able to win against Finland A this time for the top spot of SY Nations Cup 2017.

Pictures of the LAN
    china China 2017 LAN / meet up pictures & videos by edie
    Brazil meeting people in Amsterdam by iViktorius
    FeAge's story going to China (3 posts) by FeAge

Tournament Previews:
    Nations Cup Thoughts by (_blank) Goodfello
    Expert Team Analysis by SethGecko
    Preview to Nations Cup 2017 by nimanoe

Tournament MVP:
    NC '17: MVP - Most Valuable Player by SethGecko

Final Standings
  • 1.​
    brazil Brazil B   $    8,100
    2.​
    finland Finland A   $    6,300
    3.​
    china China Frantic   $    4,800
    4.​
    brazil Brazil A   $    3,600
    5.​
    china China SY   $    2,700
    6.​
    vietnam Vietnam A   $    1,800
    7.​
    canada Canada A   $    1,500
    8.​
    argentina Argentina A   $    1,200
    9.​
    czech republic Czech Republic A   $       810
    10.​
    china China EMA   $       630
    11.​
    japan Japan A   $       480
    12.​
    austria Austria A   $       360
    13.​
    brazil Brazil C   $       180
    --​
    vietnam Vietnam B   $       180
    --​
    sweden Sweden A   $       180
    --​
    france France A   $       180

YouTube Collection

Thank You!
  • The community really came together during the tournament. Donations were raised for the Silver League prize pool and several contributions were made to the LAN event. 3,000 USD was raised for the Silver League prize pool, which was distributed between the number 1 and 8 of the Silver League. Over 3,665 USD was raised as an international contribution for the LAN event and an additional 4,500 USD to help Brazil B make it to the LAN, excluding any money that was sent to Brazil directly!
    Thank you all for your contributions, this tournament got better because of your contributions!

That's not the only thank you I want to say. A big thank you to my fellow admins and advisors:
    switzerland pumukel, it's always a big pleasure to work with this Swiss. He was present at the majority of the games to be the admin, taking over a huge amount of work and giving me more free time to do other tournament related work or admin one of the other matches that started at the same time.
    australia robo, experienced tournament admin that doesn't mind doing tedious work like posting a million scheduling topics or recorded games. robo looked at and/or tested the maps before the tournament to make sure small mistakes didn't slip through the cracks.
    australia Nonsensical, the most important person in a Chinese sponsored tournament. Not active with the decision making or general settings/game advice, but always there if you need to communicate with the Chinese, which makes life easier.
    united kingdom SMB360, massive contribution in the early stages of the tournament. Looked at making the maps fairer and more competitive. Always a good person to discuss with regarding settings, maps and the Nations Cup mod. Most of the settings were a combination of things I thought and SMB and NilPferD mentioned.
    germany Tsu_NilPferD, the crazy hippo. Hugely important in making the settings for the tournament. NilPferD is creative and always has really good ideas to make games more interesting and varied while still keeping it competitive. Also the one responsible for the taxes, even in post-imp.

Apart from the admins I would like to thank Marauder and Gallas. Marauder made the SY Nations Cup 2017 banner and stream overlay which both were fantastic yet again. Gallas made the SY Nations Cup 2017 mod, which helped with making the tournament the success it was, nurfing sling up to a point where it is still a viable strategy in some situation but deadly for the slinger in other situations.

Lastly a massive thank you to SY for sponsoring and paladin for the tournament and setting up the LAN event. Without either of them there would be no SY Nations Cup 2017. But every tournament needs its players, my absolute final thank you is to all the players, streamers and viewers of the tournament, I hope all of you had enormous amounts of fun and had a great experience playing in this tournament for several weeks in a row.

The two donation topics:
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - Silver League Donations
    SY Nations Cup 2017 - Contribute to a LAN Final

Tournament Thoughts and Feedback
  • We would like your thoughts and feedback of the tournament. You can use the template below to comment on different aspects of the tournament. All the feedback we can get is much appreciated and will be considered in future tournaments.

Code:
    Did you enjoy the tournament? 
    What do you think could have been better? 
    What was your best memory about the games you played or watched? 
    Did you like the edited maps? 
    Did you enjoy the shorter sets and different settings every round of the knockout stage?
    Thoughts about the civilization bans?
    SY  Nations Cup mod, did it have the desired effect in the end in your opinion?
    Any other thoughts or comments?

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
And we can't forget thanking prv_limb for putting in hundreds and hundreds of hours over the past 10months planning the entire event, formatting all of the many posts, keeping up to date with match schedules, posting recorded games, organising the LAN, the flights and basically keeping everything going smoothly for everyone.

This event would not be the same without you. <3 <3 <3

Much love, robo

SwedenSpaden

Halberdier
Nov 30, 2011
Voobly
Spaden
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
And we can't forget thanking prv_limb for putting in hundreds and hundreds of hours over the past 10months planning the entire event, formatting all of the many posts, keeping up to date with match schedules, posting recorded games, organising the LAN, the flights and basically keeping everything going smoothly for everyone.

Much love, robo
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

prv_limb should have the MVP-award

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014

Much love, robo
+10000

United Statessmarthy_

Well Known Pikeman
Mar 29, 2015
Minneapolis
www.twitch.tv
Beautiful job with the tournament from everyone involved as always! I think it's hard for the average viewer or player to imagine the amount of time & effort that goes into all the behind the scenes adminning of these massive tournaments, and these wonderful people do it all for free time and time again. It truly is a sacrifice on their part for everyone to be able to enjoy these tournaments. My hats off to them all, honestly. :clap:

UnknownCarlini8

Halberdier
Oct 22, 2016
United Kingdom

Very much so.

It could have been shorter, but in reality I don't think it could have been shortened that much.

The LAN could have had English casting from the event like the Clan Masters. That is what really drew me into the community and I just felt the final this time around wasn't as an enjoyable view as the CM without the live casting. I know they had it in Chinese but it just felt more pro at the Clan Masters with Nili and Robo there. However, with all of the issues around costs and extra flights etc I can see why this didn't happen.

From a playing point of view it was just good to be involved. The best part was probably trying to learn Decent Ring as a team and then training as a group. Winning games we were supposed to lose was also very fun, favourite game would be this one: http://www.voobly.com/match/view/16163126 - I went from full titanic trush into us somehow winning against better rated players on a map we really didn't think would be possible.

Congratulations to everyone on an excellent tournament. I would stress that NC 2018 happens regardless of funding etc. There is no need for the massive prizepool and LAN even though they massively up the ante. I am sure that all funds required that are not related to prizepool or LAN could easily be community related. If the SY sponsor wants to go for it again, super, excellent - what a great guy. I guess what I am saying is if he doesn't want to do it again, please still do it one way or another.

SpainPoxo

Champion
Oct 27, 2012
Madrid, Spain
Voobly
Poxo
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Behold the wonderfull masterpiece of Prv_Limb and Sy team :o-o: :o-o: :o-o:

YES!

Too many doubts about the final games till very late

Even though I didn't play much on my team I loved training and gathering so much people together with one interest.
Also watching a differente 4v4 arabia playstile after a long time.

I found them more fair, so yeah, I liked them, don't have any negative coment about them. JG SMB360

Did you enjoy the shorter sets and different settings every round of the knockout stage?
Bo5 were good enough when there was more than 1 top level match in total per weekend

I'd like to have seen set civs or different short of ban system.

SY Nations Cup mod, did it have the desired effect in the end in your opinion?
It worked pretty well imo, feudal sling has been heavily reduced and there is action on feudal age, is not all about walling+slinging and getting to imperial age. Just compare Sy vs Tyrant games 1 year ago to the final's arabia game.
Or the games from EMA team!!

This nc has gathered more users (Players and followers) for a tourney than any other that I have witnesed on my AoC years.
The hype for the national teams is something the expert teams will never achieve. NC mod is a huge improvement to the game, it opens the tg to new strats with more risks and more action, example the double conq or full fwd.

Switzerlandswissboyy

Halberdier
Apr 29, 2012
Awesome work from the admin team and everyone involved!

Thinks I would've liked to see:
- 3v3 for all games
- collecting funds first and announcing things later
- shorter tournament, event took too long

SwitzerlandRacerFXX

Well Known Pikeman
Aug 3, 2012
Great job from everyone beeing involved into this tournament. Thank you very much it was awesome to watch :smile: :clap: :clap:

Mar 30, 2013

Yes it was great fun to play (or build farms) with Nadya, LB, Goten, LAAAAAARRY vs all kind of teams from pretty much every part of the world.

a mapcontest would have been rly nice and switching to 1.5 once it was out instead of remaining with 1.4 RC.

The game where i made the farm sling and nili was totally stunned by it 11

Yes most of the maps were pretty nice, but there were diffrent things, that should be changed for the future:
-mapcontest, there isnt even 1 mapcontest per year, so why not make it part of the next NC. i know as Limb and SMB said, there was pretty much no time to organise it, but next time just try to make it 1-2 weeks before and give it maybe 1-2 weeks of time.
-Add mappack games. Thats imo the most important part of a big TG tournament, in every round there should be 1 game, that is a mappack-game. It's always intresting to see who studied the map the most, who adapts the fastest. Maybe Combine it with some banned civ / mirror civs / pick from certain Group of civs
-Add some more crazy maps (like Border Dispute etc.)

yes i think the amount of games and so on, was done very well. I liked the tournament set up.

You should have kept the bans for the last games as well and maybe vary them more from round to round. But in General i liked the idea a lot. Especially in the Gold league Group stage there washuge potential for mind game with the civs (picking sara/brit/pers/aztec etc.)

Yes the idea behind is rly smart, since it makes sling so much worse. THe only Thing i absoluetly didnt like, was that you changed the HP on the palisades (which wasnt about to prevent sling, but to make dr+FC rly rly bad). THere was no Need for it imo, also i lost several games because of it and i' still salty 11

Again ty for the great tournament and especially thanks to the SY Sponsor, Carlini and all other ppl (limb, nili, SMB, robo and the huge amount of casters) who supported, organised and made the tournament possible.
OH and one Thing: make next NC pls 3v3 (or 4v4 if both Teams agree) and make it on Wololo Kingdoms.

United StatesJoshuaR

Known Member
Oct 11, 2013
Oh I agree I like having some map-pack games mixed in. Always should have at least one or more arabia, each with home map, a map pack game, etc.

FinlandZuppi

Nov 28, 2010
Finland
I wish to thank the SY Sponsor, who has made these amazing tournaments possible, every person from the Chinese community we were able to meet at the Fuzhou LAN, who warmly welcomed us and made us feel special. Huge thanks Paladin, her amazing daughters and wife :D , thank you Edie for being a really cool guy, although you cheered for the wrong team :x ,thanks to Brazilia B team, who played incredibly well throughout the tournament and were nice guys as well 8-). I also want to thank all the other teams who took part in this tournament, all the viewers and last but not least the admin team who ensured the tournament ran smoothly

Of course!

The tournament ran smoothly until the final but the waiting time between the WB final and the actual finals was incredibly long, it takes a big commitment to stay in shape for that long time. On top of that while waiting for the finals there were not any more teams to practise with because only 2 were remaining, thus making it really hard to actually prepare for the finals. I'm sure the Brazilians had the same problem.

I'm not sure what would be the best action to address this. Perhaps a shorter double elimination? 4 team round robin in the finals, like in the previous NC? Single elimination all the way?

Every game in the elimination stage. Every match expect the final went to the last game for us 11 A great performance from us and we got better during the tournament, really proud of our team!

And it was really fun to play in the LAN, shame we couldn't perform better, but playing in LAN is something truly special.

The new Nomad that was fixed for the 2nd time was very good and kept the spirit of nomad alive. The first one was really boring so great job on fixing the map during the tournament! Also the migration fix was good. I believe that the fairer the maps are, the better it is for the games.

Yeah shorter sets are way more player friendly and different settings every round bring nice variety to the matches. so yes, I did enjoy them.

It was a good first step to bring some variation to the games. I didn't like the matches that you had to pick from a pool of 6 civs though, to me it just felt stupid.
I hope the next big tg tourny would use a similar pick and banning system that they use in Dota, in my opinion it would be very interesting. Hopefully Kotd tournament shows how interesting it can be.

Yes definetly. The games were more open and aggressive and the arabia 4vs4 metagame has changed greatly. This is the right way in my opinion.

The sling nerf is also good and reduced the effectivity of slinging. There were still many sling games but it was more because of the maps. Maps like Golden hill is just bad map design. Lumping all the gold to one spot, where winning the middle means winning the game instantly is just stupid. Maps like that are 100% sling games. Still, I would love to see a tournament with slinging banned.

It was an amazing event and I will never forget the trip to China. At the same time it makes me a bit sad to realize this is probably the last major Aoc tournament, with the the momemtum the Expansion hype train is gaining. The WK has potential but it needs some careful balancing, as of now some civs are stupidly overpowered, but this is not the topic to discuss that.

Dec 11, 2012
www.youtube.com
Thank you, prv_limb. I had some behind the scenes view and I'm very impressed, although much of your work remains unknown to me, since you gave me the opportunity of only being an "on the battlefield admin". Thank you and huge respect!

Of course <3

Not changing an announced 3v3 to 4v4. Hopefully, there will be a 3v3 NC in the future.

The number of teams and participants was record breaking considering the last years. Since I think Wololo is becoming the new standard for competitive play, I think this NC was a worthy end to the UP 1.4 AoC era. It showed what a great community we have. Long live AoE2!

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
Saturday 13:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
ECL South East Asia 1v1 Ro16
Saturday 15:00 (GMT +01:00)