Switching between views efficiently

Aug 17, 2012
Hannover
Hi There,

is there a guide anywhere which shows how to switch between views efficiently? When to use the hotkeys for previous view, assigned groups, last notification and so on?
I can learn and practice to use hotkeys for building things but I struggle with switching views between scouting, fighting and economic tasks. Watching streams from Top Players does not help me much in this area.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Aug 17, 2012
Hannover
Here is what i do:
#1 is scout
#2 is food vills under tc
#3 and #4 is scouting sheep
#5 is TC itself so i can queue vills without switching view

and then I just routinely switch through them.

#4 eventually becomes boar luring vill

After that it all depends on army setup. Usually #1 becomes main army, #2 for secondary one (if I have it)
#5 for tc stays.
Numbering ranges is a nice thing to do, which I rarely do myselft though.

I don't think there is a standard way pro players do it. Some (Nicov) don't use controul groups at all so there is that. Just find a general setup that works for you and take it from there. What you posted above seems like a nice starting point. To me it is a bit like hotkeys where there is no optimal one and you just have to figure out which one works best for you.
Thanks for the insights. Maybe there really is not much more to say about this...

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
I think kkab wrote a guide somewhat related to this a few years back, but I can't find it unfortunately :frown:
From what I recall correctly, he had a 15 (really hope I got this number correct) second rule, where he would focus for 15 seconds on his economy, then focus 15 seconds on his army, then back to his eco etc.

I would say that the last notification hotkey is pretty useful for when you're picking up a relic or if you're getting attacked in the early stage of the game, but I don't see much use to it elsewhere. Control groups are much more useful, if you use MultiQueue you can use them to mass army without having to switch view, which saves quite a bit of time. If you're using Single Queue, then it's still very useful, as you can use it to controlgroup your army or armies, so you can switch between them and your eco very fast.

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
From what I recall correctly, he had a 15 (really hope I got this number correct) second rule, where he would focus for 15 seconds on his economy, then focus 15 seconds on his army, then back to his eco etc.
If I remember correctly, his rule was to play basically in intervals of 25 in game seconds (the time to create a villager), and divide the time between looking at his military and looking at his economy. And as you get better knowledge about the game and learn how to manage your economy for different builds, then you can spend a lower percentage of time looking at your economy and more time managing your military.

Aug 17, 2012
Hannover
Ok to clarify things, here is what i currently try to do in the first few minutes:

- I Assign 1 to scout 2 to a sheep maybe 3 to second sheep
- Then i hit 1 two times (one for selecting scout and another for switching to the scout view) to select scout than the HK for previous view for TC than hit 2 two times for first sheep and so on.
- I would also assign a number for the archer ranges in feudal to select them both easily and produce army
- i would also assign a number to army groups and then switching between scout, army and previous view (back to TC)

My feeling is that this is not optimal and that pro players do things differently but i cant figure out what they do differently (besides being thousand times faster than myself of course)

GermanyFlow

Well Known Pikeman
Mar 21, 2017
Ok to clarify things, here is what i currently try to do in the first few minutes:

My feeling is that this is not optimal and that pro players do things differently but i cant figure out what they do differently (besides being thousand times faster than myself of course)
Here is what i do:
#1 is scout
#2 is food vills under tc
#3 and #4 is scouting sheep
#5 is TC itself so i can queue vills without switching view

and then I just routinely switch through them.

#4 eventually becomes boar luring vill

After that it all depends on army setup. Usually #1 becomes main army, #2 for secondary one (if I have it)
#5 for tc stays.
Numbering ranges is a nice thing to do, which I rarely do myselft though.

I don't think there is a standard way pro players do it. Some (Nicov) don't use controul groups at all so there is that. Just find a general setup that works for you and take it from there. What you posted above seems like a nice starting point. To me it is a bit like hotkeys where there is no optimal one and you just have to figure out which one works best for you.

GermanyThe_Philos

Known Member
Mar 14, 2018
As far as I know the pros do the same or even less (Nicov playing almost without any ctrl-group). Most of the time they are really aware of the mini-map and where the army of the opponent will most likely attack them. So map-awareness and good guessing where the opponent will attack are a factor aswell, besides the speed.
When you are playing with MQ on, I suggest that you put all your TCs in castle age in one ctrl-group, since that eases up the macro part of the game and you can observe your army while creating vills.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
If I remember correctly, Viper once said on stream that he doesn't hit for example 1 twice in order to get to the army, but rather 1 once and then the hotkey for go-to-selection. Not sure though whether this is correct and whether or not this is more efficient.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2
Friday 18:30 (GMT +01:00)
Vivi vs JonSlow
DERAC - Quarterfinal #3