AOE-II Spectator overlay

Nov 3, 2017
You can check blacksmith upgrades & chemistry simply by clicking on the relevant unit types, so seems a bit unnecessary to add that and take up more space in the overlay.
I appreciate that having an Excel spreadsheet on screen at all times would be terrible! If there is too much information it gets lost and would make the game overly complicated. But I'm suggesting trying some new things and asking the communtiy afterwards. Perhaps it works, perhaps it doesn't.

The current situation means a caster has to click on the unit and parse that information and retain it in their brain. If we are talking about the viewer experience it's even worse... they might start watching the match at any point in time and it's hard for them to know that information. I liken this to Football / Soccer which started showing a team had a man sent off by putting a red card icon above a team's name near the scoreline. Playing with 10 men is a huge difference in the sport and if you didn't know it you might wonder why a team who are usually so good in possesion are never on the ball. To be fair though, they only show red cards and not the tally of total indiviudal yellow cards, so I do appreciate your point - a line has to be drawn at some point over what is and ins't shown.

I think for all blacksmith upgrades you would be right in that having ALL of that information on screen would be OTT. But it could be in a seperate tab that the caster can go to, to get an overview of the upgrades each players at any one time. "Damn Lierry just won that engagement despite having no Fletching or Scale Mail Armour!" is a lot more exciting than having a caster asking his co-caster "hey did Lieryy get Fletching yet? I can't remember." I can personally remember multiple matches in multiple tournaments where casters lost track of things... and I am not blaming them because it's hard to keep track of!

Switzerlandchrummi

Mar 1, 2018
It would be nice to have some infos in the overlay, especially the upgrades you cant recognize with one click like double-bit axe (who was never surprised by a 30 min research of that upgrade?) or also stuff like husbandry or thumb ring. For the blacksmith upgrades i dont really think its necessary because you can see them whenever you click on a unit. Wheelbarrow also doesnt need to be there for me, you can easily check that by clicking on a vil and see how much ressources hes gathering before he drops them off (you dont have to look at him the whole time, you just need the info in the status bar while you can watch something else) but if there was an eco tab with all the upgrades it would belong there for sure. What i would like to see on the main overlay is the number of tcs, that something thats very important for a game.

Nov 3, 2017
What i would like to see on the main overlay is the number of tcs, that something thats very important for a game.
Very much so. 1 TC all in vs 3 TC eco based approach make for some of the best games to watch so seeing this is key.

Handcart / Wheellbarrow are also important. If two players are on 32 vils but one has HC and the other doesn't, then typically the player with Hand Cart is actually leading by 3 vils. When I see Nili having to go into the tech tree to check it whilst gameplay is going on, I feel really bad for him! He should not have to!

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
When I see Nili having to go into the tech tree to check it whilst gameplay is going on, I feel really bad for him! He should not have to!
Lately he just checks it by clicking on a farm villager to see how much food they are carrying, but it's still kinda annoying because you have to wait till they have enough food to drop off before you know if they researched wheelbarrow.

United StatesIamDiscern

Known Member
Oct 9, 2017
twitch.tv
Voobly
Discern___
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
When you use the scroll wheel it goes to different stats. Why can't eco/military upgrades be on different panels or whatever they are?

Maybe they could be made generic if you want to go as far as UT's and such, like UT1 (castle UT) UT2 (imp UT).

The work @_PkZ_ does is amazing so I will complain about nothing and love whatever he gives us :smile:

Nov 3, 2017
I have never seen Nili doing so, hes the only caster who always checks that by clicking on a vil.
He does indeed do that, but it's a pretty terrible thing to have to do. That information should just be on the overlay IMO! We need more time for "Oh boy" and less for Farm vil clicking 11!

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

World Cup 2v2 Semi-Final
Friday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
China vs Vietnam LIVE
World Cup 2v2 Semi-Final
Friday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
China vs Vietnam REC
ECL East Asia 2v2