AOE-HD Seriously, when do AoF balance changes will come to AoFE?

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼
General gameplay
  • - Guard Tower gets +1 attack
    - Keep gets +1 attack
    - Transport Ship available in Dark Age
    - Palisade Gate cost decreased to 20W
    - Fish Traps building time decreased by 13 sec (train time=40, farms are still 15).

Land units
  • - Squires cost reduced to 100 food
    - Tracking cost reduced to 50 food
    - Two-Handed Swordsmen have 12 attack (instead of 11)
    - Man-at-Arms (and up) gets +1 attack vs buildings
    - Camels have +1 attack.

Britons
  • - Longbowman creation time reduced to 17 seconds - 18 seconds in AoFE 2.2 -.

Chinese
  • - Non-elite Chu Ko Nu creation time reduced to 16 seconds - 19 seconds in AoFE 2.2 -.

Huns
  • - Tarkan (non-elite) gets +1 attack.

Incas
  • - Get Keeps.

Japanese
  • - Get Gold Shaft Mining.

Koreans
  • - War Wagon cost reduced to 110 wood, 60 gold.

Mayans
  • - Elite plumed archer upgrade costs 700F 1000W (instead of 500F 1000W).

Saracens
  • - Non-elite Mamelukes get +1 attack.

Slavs
  • - Get Fortified Walls.

Vikings
  • - Berserks/Elite base HP becomes 54/62 (instead of 48/60). Training time of berserk line reduced to 14s (from 16s).

These are indispensable and worth a final 2.2b patch: that's mainly people from Voobly (CarlosFerdinand, John_Mendi, even some expert balance testing by FeAge and DreaIVIS as Cysion said here) that've made their propositions, putting their work and energy to make The Forgotten better, hence it's legit that these changes must be integrated into AoFE.

Especially when you know that Steam AoF will never be played by top Voobly players, and balance exclusively lean towards pro players.

UnknownCondoM

Mar 25, 2010
Re: Seriously, when do AoF balance changes will come to AoFE

Unfortunately Voobly AoFE isn't going to be played by top players either, and with Cysion and his team working on the steam version, there's nobody to work on the Voobly version.

Nobody in this community likes change, positive or not. So we're stuck with the same game.

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

Unfortunately Voobly AoFE isn't going to be played by top players either, and with Cysion and his team working on the steam version, there's nobody to work on the Voobly version.

Nobody in this community likes change, positive or not. So we're stuck with the same game.
=> "Forgotten Frontiers"
Pretty high level of playing in those semi-finals

UnknownElusive

Nov 28, 2012

There are players that would be willing to update it, but so far FE team hasn't been to open to working with the community on improving FE. If they aren't willing to do updates -- ideally they would let the community take over.

UnknownGenette

Jul 28, 2012
aoc.voobly.com

The FE team has effectively stopped working on updates for the AoC version in May 2013. Even though they promised to keep up with the UP development (were very happy to receive donations from the community) and copy-and-pasting the UP files in the AoFE installer wouldn't take longer than a few seconds, this is not gonna happen anytime soon. I'm not blaming them though - pacta sunt servanda.

BelgiumCysion

Apr 30, 2010
Belgium
www.forgottenempires.net
Aug 14, 2013
Tijuana, mexico

It's easy to implement an unofficial AOFE patch as you suggested. But correct me if I am wrong, it may be illegal to patch it to Voobly without the approval of the official AOFE team.

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

I'm pretty sure the approval should come from Voobly team instead, eg. when CarlosFerdinand and John_Mendi have made their AoC Balance Patch, basically it was Genette from Voobly that've published the mod.

UnknownBuzZ_Quiller

Known Member
Jul 18, 2008

It's easy to implement an unofficial AOFE patch as you suggested. But correct me if I am wrong, it may be illegal to patch it to Voobly without the approval of the official AOFE team.
I doubt it as the AoFE team does not own any of the content of the free AoFE version I think. Anyways, Cysion and crew are now allowed (?) to work on the GR/Voobly version as they now are under contract with microsoft, I do think however someone else could pick it up and work on the Voobly version, most of the work is done and a lot of people are capable of making minor tweaks to it like those posted by OP.

UnknownElusive

Nov 28, 2012

I do think however someone else could pick it up and work on the Voobly version, most of the work is done and a lot of people are capable of making minor tweaks to it like those posted by OP.
I think that's the key question that has to be answered -- is what all can be done? In the past, when we volunteered to improve FE we were told to NOT do so.

but I think it's very clear where we stand and what we're (contractually obliged and happily) working on :P
It's not clear to me and I think many others (see this thread). Can the community continue to improve FE now that the original team has moved on?

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

Well it is that balance-wise AoF can't be changed as Cysion's team are still supporting it (fine), AoC UP 1.4 will remain the same for a long time as it is experts players wishe (fine, classics are classics), and AoE2HD is worked on by HD devs which don't want any changes at all other than performance issues, such as solving the current Out of Sync problems that they've created themselves - even Spectator mode haven't be added on AoE2HD whereas it is on AoF, just saying -.

As AoFE is abandon-ware (1) totally free 2) totally discontinued), it's legally okay that fans make unofficial balance patches on it, for the sake of improving it. I'll add these changes in a custom dat file probably this current week.

AoFE is just in AoC 1.0c situation, where as it's discontinued it's free to mod (see Age of Chivalry: Hegemony mod that is still worked on as it of today)

UnknownElusive

Nov 28, 2012

BelgiumCysion

Apr 30, 2010
Belgium
www.forgottenempires.net

These are exactly things that aren't suitable for discussion on public forums :P

@Philippe le Bon: that's a lot of assumptions, but a public forum is not the place to discuss legal matters. I can tell you however, that your statements are very far from the truth.

If anyone wants to continue this discussion, please contact me privately.

UnknownHi5er

Jan 27, 2014
Essex, UK

These are exactly things that aren't suitable for discussion on public forums :P

@Philippe le Bon: that's a lot of assumptions, but a public forum is not the place to discuss legal matters. I can tell you however, that your statements are very far from the truth.

As long as Cysion is claiming that it's still being tweaked and worked on, then I am happy to believe him and wait patiently for future updates.

It would be nice not to be left in the dark so much though.

BelgiumCysion

Apr 30, 2010
Belgium
www.forgottenempires.net

Combination of NDA + modding being a legal minefield :P

As for tweaking: as far as I know, vly enabled UP on FE on their client as well. So it's not like there's so much stuff missing.

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

AoFE site won't be pulled down, but we will obviously need to update it a bit :P

But indeed, making a free alternative to AoF HD straight away is probably not the best move.
From "Is work going to continue on the free/original version?" thread.

I feel that Cysion and original AoFE devs don't want to get MS angry: working with HD, official MS devs was indeed a huge pride and gift for amateurs devs that were "just" passionate upon AoC and Middle Ages.
To be short they feel that making AoFE "better" even if it's just balance custom patches made by the community that get more and more intrested by AoFE (nerv, Spring, Melkor in AoFF tournament, such good playing, so exciting to watch really we've seen all that we'll never see in AoC, like a Tarkan rush in Imp 11), it'll indirectly make AoF purchases lower. And they do want all but making MS mad.

Unknownf1reboy

Aug 6, 2013

I'm sorry for the designers who spent their efforts on it, but I don't bother with FE, that expansion sucks.

UnknownElusive

Nov 28, 2012

I'm not sure if there is much value in discussing privately as it's question that I think many would like to know. The question at this point is pretty clear: what can be done with FE?

Obviously, there are contracts, but I would presume this is something that can be inquired on and then you could update the community -- many of those that got their hopes up after the FE announcements.

As long as Cysion is claiming that it's still being tweaked and worked on, then I am happy to believe him and wait patiently for future updates.
I don't believe he's claiming that, I think he is explicitly saying FE wouldn't be updated.

BelgiumCysion

Apr 30, 2010
Belgium
www.forgottenempires.net

UnknownAble-

Jun 16, 2012

Would nice if you change the magyarz huzsar graphic color for someone less luminous, like black, brown or red-black. :D looks like a toy

Unknowntik

Jan 25, 2013

Last time I checked in the whole situation was a shitfight, Have they even got voice acting in the campaigns over on the steam side yet?

UnknownSRACon17

Dec 10, 2013

Singleplayer person here, having no time to play multi due to studies, but I've done a bit of modding to bring AOF hd balance changes from the OP in this thread to my AOFE 2.2 game. I've also replaced the magyar and slav building set with the same one in AOF, replaced the new civs UU graphics with the UU graphics from AOF and reverted the magyar huszar graphics to the old AOFE one. All graphics are from AOF and AOFE, I've just modded them in Using AGE and Turtle Pack. Would anyone be interested in it for me to upload it here?

EDIT: Having read through this thread, it is not clear if updating the balance/graphics for AOFE to the AOF version is allowed, so this remains an unofficial mod.

Mar 19, 2012

Sounds good SRA

IMO you can modify a program as much as you want but it may not be used for commercial purposes.
If someone decides to make a graphic mod in which the farms look different and share it with people can Microsoft really forbid it by law?

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Road from 1.6k to 2k
Thursday 11:00 (GMT +02:00)
Daut's Road to 2k
ECL Europe East 4v4
Saturday 16:00 (GMT +02:00)
ECL Europe East 4v4 Finals
Weekend Smackdown