misafeco
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
In any other setting for tournament i agree. But this setting doubles the advantage for them. Not only they play easier opponents, they also have better civs. The seeding system wasnt the best also.
The seeding system is fine. You can't really make an objective seeding system better than this. It consists couple of different factors, all of them relevant in measuring player strength (current rating, all time best rating and previous tournament achievements). Civ draft on the other hand could be better but it's also an experiment. I think the first KotD civ draft system was already perfect.

GermanyMichaerbse

Oct 14, 2017
These discussions after the fact, or more precisely when things are imminent are quite tedious. There's a reason why there are feedback threads before and after tourneys, threads like these are frankly quite useless.
True but I think there were quite a few people (including myself) who have voiced concerns about the civ system before the tournament, mentioning exactly the arguments that are brought up again now.

Obviously, the rules cannot be changed anymore so yes, this thread is kind of useless. On the other hand (and as Memb already wrote) it can be interpreted as a retrospective feedback thread, although it is admittedly not a real "retrospective" yet...

Jan 13, 2019
Maybe you could make something similar to the ECL system with a civilization pool for each round, putting good civs in every round and give the players the chance to decide in what round they use each pool, that way the players don't use the same civ all rounds and we avoid problems like mbl using all meso versus Miguel and nicov, and Larry facing tía harribel and villese without problems

Last edited:

Unknownorangereaper

Aug 21, 2014
IMO,

After some of the R3 matches we'll get the impression that player A won due to CIV advantage over player B.
It'll be a bit injustice to both A & B, but there is no way around it.

KOTD1 accomplished the following
1. No Mirror match ups
2. CIv draft strategy and further more how do each player use those drafted civs.
3. One of the BIG tourneys to use expanded CIV pool.

We'll obviously have to wait for KOTD2 to finish, but I can see less accomplishments. If anything it may've proven that such drafting system doesn't work effectively.

BTW, this might be a good FIT for ECL 1v1 since we have so many rounds. Players may actually find the right strategy where even if the goal was to get to 2nd place its for points.
Just saying...

SpainIRC_tomate

Jul 22, 2011
Voobly
IRC_screwu
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
When i see this thread i feel like political diversion deployed by politicians of country 11. Just to make people go out of focus from drama like River getting banned / nerfing towers. Since we all know its so childish to ask for resetting civs :P
u think is childish to ask for a better tournament organization? okay then im one more in the kindergarden, just saying i dont like how the quarterfinals are, not at all, sorry if i made u or others out of focus, for me this is the main issue as aoe fan right now

but anyways im enjoying the tournament so far (even if i skip some of the quarterfinals games)

SpainIRC_tomate

Jul 22, 2011
Voobly
IRC_screwu
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
These discussions after the fact, or more precisely when things are imminent are quite tedious. There's a reason why there are feedback threads before and after tourneys, threads like these are frankly quite useless.
if u wanted to make the useless post of all... then u got it!

and now for real, are you happy with how the seed/draft has made these quarterfinals? if i were the dictator of the tournament i would just do a poll now and reset if 51% agree, nothing is written in stone

India_CsK_Bluewolf

Aug 16, 2009
Voobly
_Bluewolf_
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
u think is childish to ask for a better tournament organization? okay then im one more in the kindergarden, just saying i dont like how the quarterfinals are, not at all, sorry if i made u or others out of focus, for me this is the main issue as aoe fan right now

but anyways im enjoying the tournament so far (even if i skip some of the quarterfinals games)
Giving suggestions for next tournament is entirely fine. I personally liked these systems as we started trying to explore and things will get competitive. Rather seeing tier 1 civ for entire tournament. If there were no restrictions then we would end up seeing lots of same civ match up. I was just not happy from my perspective that why even question is raised for Civ reset at current point of the tournament. We all know its not gonna happen and it shouldn't either.

SpainIRC_tomate

Jul 22, 2011
Voobly
IRC_screwu
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
/.../ If there were no restrictions then we would end up seeing lots of same civ match up /.../
let me try put it this way, we both chess players, very good ones indeed, we date one day to play some games, i ask u to start all the games with 1 less pawn, u accept and we play some

after the meetup u go back home and think that although i ended up winning most games u were still able to win some (starting with one less piece on the table!), games were fun but we cant say which players is better right?...

u dont like same civ match up? civ balance isnt good, u need mirror to be competitive, or u may be missing a pawn or some other piece

India_CsK_Bluewolf

Aug 16, 2009
Voobly
_Bluewolf_
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Let
let me try put it this way, we both chess players, very good ones indeed, we date one day to play some games, i ask u to start all the games with 1 less pawn, u accept and we play some

after the meetup u go back home and think that although i ended up winning most games u were still able to win some (starting with one less piece on the table!), games were fun but we cant say which players is better right?...

u dont like same civ match up? civ balance isnt good, u need mirror to be competitive, or u may be missing a pawn or some other piece
Let's go with chess example itself. But ur example is just doesn't suit what your saying.

Actually i will tell my pespective what your asking to do here. We are playing chess game and before start of game rule is that Bishop's go in diagonal but your suggestion is like mid of game since u lost your rooks so u wanted bishops to behave like rook so it will look like fair? I m not still denying your suggestion for future tournament. I am saying no point in reset of civs now. It's just ridiculous to be honest.

Mar 26, 2018
Have other tournament formats been tried in aoe? Something like a modified Swiss group stage into a single elim quarters.

Last edited:

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 3v3 LB Semifinal
Wednesday 20:30 (GMT +01:00)
Peter sings a song vs Lunacy
ECL SE Asia 1v1 JorDan vs Tim
Friday 12:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 JorDan vs Tim