AOE-II Realms Expansion

Would there be an intrest in a Realms Tournament?

• Yes

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 48 75.0%

• Total voters

AustriaDeathcounter

Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com
Hey everyone,
since i haven't found such a topic here i decided to make own.
Here below you can write ideas, feedback and balance suggestions for Realms Mod.
You can also ask any questions related to Realms.

If you have never played Realms yet, you can still help with balance suggestions by looking into this document that contains all infos about the new civs and Realms in general:
Go to the document
This online-document contains really all info about Realms
Any Feedback is appreciated :smile:
Voobly Thread can be found here (if you don't have an account here)

!!!Great News, Realms mod has been updated (v.1.80) with one more civ and plenty of balace changes... Realms is now much more balanced and enjoyable with Random civs

I hope this mod would be played more often, it's awesome and funny
Check out my Profile for Realms recorded games.
Have a nice day ;flowers

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017
Re: Realms Mod

what is the advantage of realms mod over official expansions (WK)? not to be rude but this mod seems inferior in many ways

AustriaDeathcounter

Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com

What's the advantage of WK over AoC? Ask yourself this question.
I mean I will just ignore the fact that you have propably never tried Realms and call it inferior because it's not "official" but let's not forget that userpatch and forgotten empires also weren't "official", yet look how far they came. Userpatch is way better in performance than HD. If i made this thread 6 months ago when WK wasn't out, you wouldn't ask this question.

Anyway if you ask for advantages you shall get some: It's free (which you don't care about cause i assume you already have WK). It can be shaped by community and it has new civs ideas (not stolen ones).

Btw i would really like to know what you it lets you think that it is inferior? No offense just curiosity :D

BulgariaRorarimbo

Known Member
Jan 10, 2016
Bulgaria

I personally wouldnt speak of infirior but its a fact that WK has become increasingly popular. I myself do not imagine the game without all the civs there. I would love to see though the Realms mod working on top of AoE2 RoR. I know some of the civs are therre in both like the Khmer the Malians, Vietnames and others. IT would mean total reworking the Realms mod I know but I just dont imagine the game withot AK and RoR anymore. Good luck with the project anyway.

UnknownLittle_Jacob

Oct 23, 2017

Hey Deadcounter I agree that many mods are underappreciated and the guys that make them produce many ideas that are later used a lot on other mods or the game itself. And also the players have no idea about all the work, but this is natural because that's in the competitive scene I think.
But do you mean that ideas from the realms mod were stolen and are in the official game now? Just curiosity too. Hope the project has good results.

AustriaDeathcounter

Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com

I personally wouldnt speak of infirior but its a fact that WK has become increasingly popular. I myself do not imagine the game without all the civs there. I would love to see though the Realms mod working on top of AoE2 RoR. I know some of the civs are therre in both like the Khmer the Malians, Vietnames and others. IT would mean total reworking the Realms mod I know but I just dont imagine the game withot AK and RoR anymore. Good luck with the project anyway.
Agreed, WololoKingdoms literally skyrocked in the last months (but every mod would do so if played regulary by most streamers), i think the only simularities between HD and Realms will be that some civs have simular Civ bonuses and that African Kingdom balance is added in Realms (not exactly 1 to 1).
I will not confirm that the HD developers stole some civ bonuses tho, but i wont be surprised if one dev found realms before making african kingdoms. However it could also be a coincidence. So far, if you look at realms civs there are some similarities. In history Khmer used Ballista Elephant in warfare, so it makes sense that both expansions have them as their UU i think :?

I also want to state that i didn't make Realms, it's the work of @Vardamir117

I think we all can agree that Realms isn't balanced perfectly at the moment (that's what the Thread is for) but it's something, and it's fun.
I am sure Vardamir is happy about all your good lucks and wishes. A creator that made a mod with 1236 downloads is surely proud i think.

UnknownLittle_Jacob

Oct 23, 2017
Hey, my opinion is that it is generally very difficult to get people to change from something they are familiar with.

Among some other examples, you see that many people are resistant to change from HD to voobly, even though many exposure of the advantages of voobly. We also have seen that many aoc balance patches didn't really become much used even though people used to argue that aoc needed a lot of balance changes.

We even saw many people claiming that they wouldn't change to WK. Fortunately, the case was that WK was slowly more accepted, especially with pro tournaments being played on it to promote it. In this particular case, it's nice to highlight that WK is not a mod for which modded content was created. It simply makes official content available at another platform. So the fact the the WK content was already officially standard surely helped a lot. WK is kind of an exception to the rule.

People already find it a bit hard to learn all the expansion civs, maps etc. Then they might not feel like trying something different besides WK, even more if it's not something much played at the moment.

I've tried the realms mod and I'm sure it's full of good ideas and content, but it's necessary to understand that it's usually hard to make people change from what they are used to. Nevertheless I wish success to the developers of it.

AustriaDeathcounter

Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com
I agree with everything you said, its some sort of sickness of this community. Maybe the community is used to play nothing but AOC, i mean they play the same game for roughly 18 year now.
I think WK is played a lot because the HD player cant stand HD any longer with its bugs...And since they play the expansions on voobly, their is some sort of chain reaction going on at the moment

AustriaClemensor

Jun 9, 2014
Vienna
I agree with everything you said, its some sort of sickness of this community. Maybe the community is used to play nothing but AOC, i mean they play the same game for roughly 18 year now.
I think WK is played a lot because the HD player cant stand HD any longer with its bugs...And since they play the expansions on voobly, their is some sort of chain reaction going on at the moment
Its not really a sickness it is inevitable in the given circumstances.WK and the official expansions are the first ones ot actually break the dominance of AoC and that is because they gained a huge following on steam and allowed a huge chunk of the now very active playerbase to familiarise themselves with it. Secondly it has the status of an officially backed expanion, which helped in getting early sponsored tournaments organised on HD which then finally moved to Voobly through WK. With money tournaments come big players, with them their fanbase and more credibility. Keep in mind FE although it had quite a big hype at first also never really cought on until the official HD and steam support.

BulgariaRorarimbo

Known Member
Jan 10, 2016
Bulgaria
What ppl said sofar but to me persobally the problem is its not an addition on WK its an alternative so it cant work for me and I believe many others. WK with all its content is official while Realms is somwhat of an alternative. Asif Forgotten would not be on top of AoC but instead. Yes I think Realms is developed first comparted to AoAK and RoR but in the situation we are now its an alternative not an edition.

AustriaDeathcounter

Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com
Or people dont like realms but they do like WK and therefore play that?
They don't like Realms based on what? Based on that's not official or that it's not wololo? You can't simply judge or compare something that you have never seen once and i believe less then 5% of WK players know that realms even exists. It's just that realms doesn't have the financial possibilities to advertise itself.
Rorarimbo said:
Asif Forgotten would not be on top of AoC but instead.
But its on top of AoC and Forgotten Empires (+Balance of the first African Kingdom version) if i understood your meaning correctly. And if you denied anything that hasn't been made by Microsoft you would have to play Aoc without any mods or Userpatch

GermanySkittle

Sep 4, 2010
no one tries it because no one plays it. it's a vicious circle which you can only break with some big sponsored tournaments :wink:

BulgariaRorarimbo

Known Member
Jan 10, 2016
Bulgaria
Im not deniying anything I am trying to explain why it does not work for me. If it was on top of AoC+AoF + AoAK + RoR for me would be great. It is now alternative of the last two expansion not addition. Thats it. I know this means reworking it completely so I dont demand it.

AustriaDeathcounter

Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com
no one tries it because no one plays it. it's a vicious circle which you can only break with some big sponsored tournaments :wink:
See poll, but i am ready to atleast make some sort of mini event, or mini tournament if there is a demand. Another way would be streamers but they seem not to care (with a few exceptions ofc, thanks to Tatoh, F1re and klavskis). Well i can understand that they dont care, i am not mad at any streamer for not trying it. WK is also new for them so they have to get into this first, and maybe only this :/
Rorarimbo said:
Im not deniying anything I am trying to explain why it does not work for me. If it was on top of AoC+AoF + AoAK + RoR for me would be great. It is now alternative of the last two expansion not addition. Thats it. I know this means reworking it completely so I dont demand it.
Yeah well its your choice. And if Realms would be included on top of AK and RotR there would be only 8 civs left of 17. The other 9 have (maybe copied) simularities of the 8 new civs of AK and RotR
HyunAOP said:
Dutch have pretty cool farms.
Finally, farms have the same size as mills :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
A shame the version on AoCZone has stopped working at a point I've been trying to gleam some understandings.

Either way, I want this topic on underrated and unappreciated mods and civ crafters to keep going.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Whats new?