not sure where to put this

Apr 13, 2017
Very very high
hi, my name is Max. I used to play AoC a long long time ago. not even sure where to begin, or if i will get a response.

I'll start by reminiscing on days past. Oh man, were those some good times on my desktop. I would sit and play aoe for hours and learn all the different ins and outs of the game. I would watch recorded games of pros when I wasn't playing online.

of course back then it seemed like everyone was good. even players who were ranked 1601 could whip me.

I just got aoc off of steam and I was wondering if there is even still a community for this game. I just recently played online again after about a month of playing the ai, and i won a twice so far. it seemed like even the players 1700 in ranking were still suck. it took forever to find a gg.

I've been playing this game for a long time and I know how to adapt my strategy online but I cant possibly be 1800.

I was in a few good clans back in the day. Though all I can remember for some weird reason is these wacky spin-off clans I were in. PKC (Phantom Knights Clan) and Snow clan. With my buddy Noor from UK.

There are a lot more names I can remember some of them big names (or i thought so at least) in the community but I wont post all of them, just in case they see this by some chance.

Anyway, I hope to get back more into the game soon, its nice being here and part of these forums. Kinda feels like old times. Hope to hear from you soon.

-Max

AustraliaSocksyy

Well Known Pikeman
Nov 6, 2013
Australia
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Yea there is still a community for this game, welcome back man. :smile:

United KingdomCicero

Jul 9, 2017
I enjoyed your reminiscing - welcome back :smile:
The community on the newer HD (steam) version is mostly relative newcomers to the game, so naturally aren't as seasoned as you might expect of an older game.
Players on Voobly tend to be significantly better since the community has been around for longer. Also, the performance and features are much better, so any serious player ends up playing there.
If you have the HD version you can use that to play on Voobly. Other people can probably better help you with setting it up if you have problems. If you want to play with the new HD expansions on Voobly, there is a mod called WololoKingdoms which a lot of people use now which allows you to do that.
There's a new players lobby, where you start at 1200. My guess is you'll rise maybe 100+ points fairly quickly before you find competitive games. Or you can go straight to the main lobby, start at 1600, and probably lose a fair few before you level out. Try both if you like to see what suits you.

Since you used to enjoy watching recorded games, it sounds like you'd enjoy casted games. There are several AoE2 streamers on Twitch who regularly cast expert games, as well as host community (viewer) games - some of them have YouTube channels as well. T90 is a popular streamer and appeals to a wide audience of casual to expert players. Several expert players also stream their point of view.
This might also interest you: https://www.aoezone.net/threads/the-escape-champions-league.138809/

May 26, 2017
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Awesome so I been reading on this site for 5 mins now. I guess I should go to this thing called Voobly but I am le scared
11 don't be scared man. if u are 17+ in steam u should do well in the new players lobby on voobly. and the game is much more smoother in voobly, and with the wololokingdoms mod u can play all the new civs aswell

Apr 13, 2017
Very very high
hey, Cicero I liked what you said and I have an update. I have been watching a youtube video on how to setup voobly and i havent got around to doing it just yet but i have been playing more online in steam.

some of those players there are actually quite seasoned and it was good getting to watch my old recorded games back too. sort of analyze if you will.

i really want to watch casted games as well but i am unsure how to start that. I have kids and a full time job but playing this game has always been my passion for a long time.

I hope to finish the youtube video soon and get on voobly it sounds like a lot of fun and the rooms reminds me of msn zone

United Statespatao

Apr 2, 2016
hey thanks i have been watching zero empires and t90 and spirit of the law is another one i like.
You've got great timing if you want to jump into checking out some live games, the top 6 players in Europe are competing face-to-face all week in Nili's Apartment Cup, streamed live ~8am-6pm EST (awkward timing if you have a normal-hours US job, but the weekend finals should be easy to catch!)

https://www.twitch.tv/nili_aoe

Canada_5_

Oct 22, 2015
Canada
okay so I made progress getting on this voobly thing. can anyone help me? if this is not the place I would be happy to post it somewhere else thx.
Is the issue happens every game you join. or only with specific players.
If every game, you might need to forward ports/use fixed IP.

https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/261258 Go to the place how to setup your connection section.

If you already know how to have fixed IP and forward ports: then forward : 16000UDP and check.

Apr 13, 2017
Very very high
thank you _5_ I will look into those things. I have a little experince in networking but its come along way since i was in school. Thats the thing about technology and my greatest fear is kinda coming true. What I mean is the older I get the less i understand about new technology. Hopefully with a little research and some critical thinking Ill be on in no time.

Apr 13, 2017
Very very high
okay I should let you know I used a proxy it worked pretty well too!. I played my first map 1v1 ara ia in the new user lobby in voobly and it was AWESOME!!!! I kicked his butt too! the ole fc and knights. he went chinks and man at arms for some reason real noob. Mabye I can play the 1600 players.

only problem is game isnt full screen....any tips on that?

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
in the game options you should be able to adjust the resolution so your game is full screen or do you mean that there is a border around the game?

United KingdomCicero

Jul 9, 2017
Haha nice :smile: I'm going to guess you're somewhere around 1400 - which would mean you can either continue owning till you get there or go main lobby and probably get owned yourself :P Btw, you'll get kicked out of the NPL when you get too good for it.

Oct 9, 2017
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
It depends on the difference between the rating of the opponent and yours. The greater the difference the more points you win and the less you lose if you're the lower rated one, or the opposite if you're the higher one.
I hope I was clear enough 11

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Nomad Battlegrounds
Saturday 23:00 (GMT +02:00)
Silver League Final GergisKan&Lotario vs Bulletchen&Vicious_Marauder
Weekend Smackdown
Sunday 15:00 (GMT +02:00)
1 day event 1v1 single elimination