NAC2 - Qualifier Feedback

GermanyNili_AoE

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2010
This is exclusively for potential Qualifier players (Top 100 Voobly 1v1 rating)

• Is the format okay?
  • Are the maps okay?
  • Is it a reasonable balance between draft and set civs?
  • Is the drafting system fair?
  • Anything I should change?

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
Any sort of restriction on playing in both the qualifiers? Could be kind of repetitive if have mostly the same 16 players in both brackets. Maybe bottom 8 of Q1 can't sign up for Q2?

SpainPoxo

Champion
Oct 27, 2012
Madrid, Spain
Voobly
Poxo
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Do you have a list of images with the maps?
No coments about till when can players restart a match, either about bugged resources.
MQ / SQ? I play mostly on SQ and that's what I find in most rated games, but I know you personally like MQ over it.
The maps that are most played on Voobly Medieval siege lobby show too few times (Arabia and Arena). There are rounds even without Arabia and no Arena at all. It's nice to have variation on the maps but IMO Arabia is a must on all rounds as 1st or last match. Arena should be represented, even though there are maaaany arena tournaments allready.
There is no long distance water map in the whole qualification either (Islads, TI or maps of that likeing). I see some Medi or Golden Hill were Water is important but the battle will go on land in the end. ( I don't recall Rift island right now)
About civs, drafts are the trend right now (for about a year or year and a half) but having also limited pool matches would be cool, like pick between X, Y, Z, as on MoA3? Or free picks without repeat (This fits more on a tournament with same map repeated)
No HM, HM's were allways an option for lower rated players to grab a point or two.
RF is on the map pack. "(mappack doesn't include ref fortress)"

In general I think everything looks fine, this is not a complain, just a couple of coments.

GermanyNili_AoE

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2010
No list of images.
Restart before 4 mins. will make a post about bugged res.
MQ.
Arena won't be included.
Did you try loading the NAC_mappack and it genrated reg fortress? That would be shocking.
Obv it's included as a single map.

Would love to hear more input (from others) on homemaps.
Would love to hear more input (from others) on long distance water maps.

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
Did you try loading the NAC_mappack and it genrated reg fortress? That would be shocking.
It does, loads Fortress as Regicide game mode.

Edit: If it did load RF it would play properly

/* NAC2 Regicide Fortress */

#const KING 434
#const STARTING_FOOD 91
#const STARTING_WOOD 92
#const STARTING_STONE 93
#const STARTING_GOLD 94
#const AMOUNT_GOLD 3
#const SET_ATTRIBUTE 0
#const MOD_RESOURCE 1
#const ATTR_SET 0
#const DATA_MODE_FLAGS 1
#const GAIA_SET_PLAYER_DATA -10
#const ATTR_SET 0

<PLAYER_SETUP>
guard_state KING AMOUNT_GOLD 0 1
ai_info_map_type ARABIA 0 0 0
effect_amount MOD_RESOURCE STARTING_GOLD ATTR_SET -100
effect_amount MOD_RESOURCE STARTING_STONE ATTR_SET -50
effect_amount MOD_RESOURCE STARTING_FOOD ATTR_SET 300
effect_amount MOD_RESOURCE STARTING_WOOD ATTR_SET 300
effect_amount GAIA_SET_PLAYER_DATA DATA_MODE_FLAGS ATTR_SET 3

SpainPoxo

Champion
Oct 27, 2012
Madrid, Spain
Voobly
Poxo
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
You mean on NAC_Mappack itself, I though the map Fortress wasn't on the .zip file.

"
percent_chance 0
#define NAC2REGICIDEFORTRESS
"
I see what you mean now.

SpainMembTV

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2011
www.twitch.tv
Even if im not a fan of arena to be played or bf for tournaments i think for qualifications with double eliminations to do not have Arabia, arena and bf (i agree this to be out) the maps what basically are played on voobly is weird. i think with good settings those maps can be great to be played, just not mirror civiliz, some draft or hidden pick no repeat and can be great to see 1 game arina in a bo7 and ofc arabia.

NetherlandsDirkjan

Known Member
Oct 19, 2014
Voobly
Dirkjan
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I miss tournament with home map. We don’t have this anymore ... it favorit players that actually prépare round and prepare tournament, over the one who just play their game without preparing. Home map, preparing civ, preparing strategy, like in CoT, can creat surprise and see différents things or unusual play/map
You can prepare a mappack of lets say 7 maps too right? But I guess having a really suprising, superrisky strat for one particular map becomes less likely

Franceedie

Champion
Monk
May 9, 2013
You can prepare a mappack of lets say 7 maps too right? But I guess having a really suprising, superrisky strat for one particular map becomes less likely
Ofc can and should prepare a map pack of 7 maps or so .... Doesn’t mean can’t have Hm 11, having home map make we don’t see the whole tournament the same maps, can have surprise and a lowered player well prepared can take a game. Trying to guess what ur opponent will take as hm, preparing his hm, trying guess the civ etc I always found it cool too

UnknownLanchi

Halberdier
Dec 19, 2016
In this kind of setting, when drafting, players is thinking about what civ use on what map
So if one pick civ wrong
(a) let opponent pick instead, maybe cause the wrong guy two games in big civ disadvantage
(b) let opponent AW, and the wrong guy say what civ he wanted to use, and keep series going
which make more sense?

Mar 28, 2018
Not sure if i understand you correctly, but i think (b) is the fairer solution for the players, but you have one less game there. + it looks like an extreme punishment.
But with these diverse maps (a) could lose you not only this match but at least another one were you wanted to play the chosen civ. (Eg Your opponent forces you to play a “land - only civ“ on the hybrid map you originally wanted to play italians on, then you have to choose italians on a land map afterwards).
highly depends on the settings though

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
In this kind of setting, when drafting, players is thinking about what civ use on what map
So if one pick civ wrong
(a) let opponent pick instead, maybe cause the wrong guy two games in big civ disadvantage
(b) let opponent AW, and the wrong guy say what civ he wanted to use, and keep series going
which make more sense?
I like (c): The player who picked a wrong civ says which of their civs they wanted and the opponent can pick any civ from the game as counter and then choose which of their civs should be out for the rest of the series

NetherlandsiViktorius

Longswordman
May 9, 2014
The Netherlands
how about (d) you live with the consequences of making a mistake and you play the set with the civs you have vs the civs the enemy has?

I see no reason for any admin decision or alteration of the settings. You picked a civ, now you gotta use it.

Finlandbuhanisson

Longswordman
May 29, 2015
^What I understood: if u pick a banned civ. Then you cant use it, but you still get to see what your opponent picked.

Of those options, maybe b). At least it might teach ppl to start reading the rules, and if these things end up happening too often, it might also teach organizers to reconsider the whole civ bans thing.

Mar 28, 2018
how about (d) you live with the consequences of making a mistake and you play the set with the civs you have vs the civs the enemy has?

I see no reason for any admin decision or alteration of the settings. You picked a civ, now you gotta use it.
if he picked one of his civs, thats the norm i suppose. i assumed a scenario where the player picked a civ thats not in his remaining civpool

Mar 10, 2018
I like (c): The player who picked a wrong civ says which of their civs they wanted and the opponent can pick any civ from the game as counter and then choose which of their civs should be out for the rest of the series
I agree, if the player who messed up picks openly and the other player than can change his original pick to counter
1) all games can potentially get played, no AW
2) the one how didn't mess up does not really end up with a disadvantage, can counter or stick to his plan nontheless
3) the player who messed up can still pick civs according to any plans made while picking, only disadvantage is that the opponent knows what civ he will go in the game he messed up and can counter, but that's probably better than admin win/beeing forced to play a civ - and in the end he was the one making a mistake

The only potential problem is if the one who didn't mess up planed some unexpected strategies and doesn't want to change what civ to use on what map and opponent knows that and than uses a counterciv vs. what civ he used in the "fail" game, but that seems like a acceptable downside, to me at least.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 1v1 ShuaiNiu vs saymyname
Saturday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 ShuaiNiu vs saymyname
NAC2 - Grand Finals
Sunday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
///////
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Lyx vs St4rk