Ptee
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
One thing I caught during the first day that seemed awkward was the interview couch, when interviewing multiple people, the interviewer should probably sit on one of the sides so that he doesn't need to turn his head when asking the questions. It's also probably easier to direct questions to both players more naturally this way.
Perhaps even go as far as putting the winner in the middle, so that the "focus" is on him.

Feb 11, 2019
So, can somebody explain to me, how the games in the group stage are scheduled? It would appear natural, if everyone played against everyone else, but then there should be 7 days, which is not the case, obviously.
I understand, that at the first day the highest seed played against 5th, 2nd highest seed against 6th and so on... but how were/are the games after the first one scheduled?

Dec 11, 2012
www.youtube.com
So, can somebody explain to me, how the games in the group stage are scheduled? It would appear natural, if everyone played against everyone else, but then there should be 7 days, which is not the case, obviously.
I understand, that at the first day the highest seed played against 5th, 2nd highest seed against 6th and so on... but how were/are the games after the first one scheduled?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

Nov 20, 2017
Can someone explain the fixtures for Day 5 (Round 5) ?

If I understand correctly, the two rules guiding the Swiss System are -
1. Players are paired with others of the same score, or nearest score.
2. Two players may play each other only once.

By this logic, I don't understand why is Viper playing Jordan tomorrow instead of say, TaToH, who is closer on points?

One explanation is that perhaps other fixtures won't work out then.

But isn't this also a possibility - (Similarly, there could be more possibilities, I haven't checked)
- Viper vs TaToH
- DauT vs Nicov
- Liereyy vs F1re
- MbL vs Jordan
These matchups haven't been played so far either.

In the current fixtures, there is an overall difference of 6 points:
- Viper (3 points) vs Jordan (0 points) - 3 point difference
- TaToH (2 points) vs F1Re (1 points) - 1point difference
- MbL (3 points) vs Nicov (2 points) - 1 point difference
- Liereyy (3 points) vs DauT (2 points) - 1point difference
Total Points Difference = 6 points

In the above alternative as well, Total Difference comes to be 6 points:
- Viper vs TaToH - 1 point difference
- DauT vs Nicov - 0 point difference
- Liereyy vs F1re - 2 point difference
- MbL vs Jordan - 3 point difference

I am assuming Nili is using a Swiss System software that suggested the pairings. I'm trying to understand what's the algorithm the software used to decide between the possible alternates or whether it selected randomly out of them.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017
Here is what I have figured out about the possible consequences of tomorrows games @Nili_AoE

If Viper, Liereyy and MbL win their games, F1Re and JorDan are out regardless. Who advances directly to the semi-finals is not so clear.

If Viper, Liereyy, MbL and TaToH wins, Liereyy and MbL will advance:

If Viper Liereyy, MbL and F1Re wins, the point difference decides who advances (what happens if point difference is equal?):

Last edited:

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
I am assuming Nili is using a Swiss System software that suggested the pairings. I'm trying to understand what's the algorithm the software used to decide between the possible alternates or whether it selected randomly out of them.
I'm fairly sure Nili uses the Challonge system, and I think it doesn't pair up people by random, but I'm not entirely sure how it does decide which pairing is better

Unknownwurfmaul

Jan 20, 2017
@Nili_AoE In addition to what @-Mir85- said, here are my results: The candidates for the seventh place are F1Re and TaToH. DauT and Nicov are safe.
TaToH is out if F1Re wins and Liereyy loses, or if F1Re wins 3:0 and MbL loses. Otherwise F1Re is out.

Other than the top three, only Nicov may have a chance to reach the second place: If he wins 3:0 against MbL, JorDan wins 3:0 against TheViper, F1Re wins against TaToh, and Liereyy wins against DauT, then Nicov shares the second place with TheViper. Admittedly, this may not be the most likely scenario. In any case, my sanity is irrelevant.

I try to attach the spreadsheet I have used to play around, in a zip since aoezone doesn't seem to accept it otherwise. I hope both it and my results above are mostly correct.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2015
@Nili_AoE Did u increase the game sound for day 3?
I think its way too loud for late game, just watching the replays and the attack sounds triggers me way too hard 11
Attack Sound is like 100% volume in comparison to casters 70%
Dunno, maybe i didnt notice the first 2 days but then it was just perfect balance

Edit: day 4 i mean

Last edited:

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
I'm fairly sure Nili uses the Challonge system, and I think it doesn't pair up people by random, but I'm not entirely sure how it does decide which pairing is better
Nili uses the challonge system. I could imagine they minimize the square of the point differences instead of just the differences to punish outliers, but I know they also somehow factor in seedings when determining the match-ups as well, but I don't know whether that would come into account here

GermanySnyper1_

Jun 5, 2011
So basically Viper is just lucky (again) with the seedings? MBL, Lierry and Viper having all the same score, he will face the lowest guy Jordan while MBL and Lierry have to play stronger players?
Although Viper is such a great player (if not the best) and a really great guy, i wish he would not have weaker opponents in every tournament than his competitors :frown:

Jul 8, 2017
www.Twitter.com
So basically Viper is just lucky (again) with the seedings? MBL, Lierry and Viper having all the same score, he will face the lowest guy Jordan while MBL and Lierry have to play stronger players?
Although Viper is such a great player (if not the best) and a really great guy, i wish he would not have weaker opponents in every tournament than his competitors :frown:
Unfortunately, that is literally how seeding works in most tournament formats. Benefits of being at the top is an easier road to the finals.

Mar 4, 2018
Unfortunately, that is literally how seeding works in most tournament formats. Benefits of being at the top is an easier road to the finals.
but in the grand picture it might be a disadvantage for viper. assuming the top three win, viper will be placed third, because of his 'easy' opponents and therefore won't get one of the secured spots in the semis, right?

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
This is actually a disadvantage for TheViper if MbL and Liereyy both win, since this means that Vipers BuchHolz is lower which results in him being 3rd place.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
with the 16 possible results:

Liereyy,Viper,MbL they will distribute the 1,2,3th place
daut and Nicov are saved, they can be 4º,5º or 6º
TaToH can be 7º if F1Re wins him by 0-3 and Viper,Liereyy and MbL lose
For the Buchholz you need to exclude the highest and lowest opponents. That changes outcomes only slightly though (viper will be third if Viper, MbL, liereyy TaToH win for example)

May 29, 2018
For the Buchholz you need to exclude the highest and lowest opponents. That changes outcomes only slightly though (viper will be third if Viper, MbL, liereyy TaToH win for example)
I would say that the change is pretty big tbh. It would mean that viper will have to play tomorrow to qualify.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
In a way he is, as he deserves to be as seed number one. However, if viper, liereyy, MbL, all win and TaToH wins his game as well, Viper will be third because of the easier opponents - so might be a disadvantage as well

Nov 26, 2013
Voobly
Ardeuzz
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
yes, my table was with the Buchholz, I thank that the tie-break was with that, now I see that in challonge that is the Median-Buchholz

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 1v1 JorDan vs Tim
Friday 12:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 JorDan vs Tim
Improvement Cup 4v4 WB Final
Saturday 11:30 (GMT +01:00)
new Chapter vs Australia
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk