AOE-HD ludicrous map size

Unknownf1reboy

Aug 6, 2013
map size just seems stupid unless they are going to allow more players in the same game.. who wants to fight through a 4X bigger map size and drag a game out to 3 hours a game instead of 1..
Build your stuff near enemy territory, so you don't waste much time on travelling. Plus, there may be more wolves on the way as well, what would become annoying to take a villager along the way. And as you said about including more players, it would be good in my viewpoint, what about 5 vs 5... or even 6 vs 6! I think the biggest problem on ludicrous map size and possibly the inclusion of more players is the lag. If we already have lag in 4 vs 4 in 8 players map, lag will be more likely to happen in larger maps with more than 8 players. Anyways, I want this map to exists, though they include more players or not.

UnknownRitesh

Jun 4, 2008
England
That map size is amazing for scenario making as well as for very new players who can't get ready to fight before the hours mark and don't wanna play bf all games. Are you guys actually hating for new feature that don't affect you? Kinda selfish I think but then again that's the moto of aoczone members for a while xD.

UnknownRedsting

Aug 3, 2012
Apr 2, 2011
I want them to make a map type that combines several existing maps. Like.. biomes? Like it would take a Mediterranean and black forest map and place them side by side. With some blending in between, presumably. ..
Balance wise, competitively, not aimed at (though presumably if they wanted it would happen) But really nice for randomness, exploring a map

Dec 14, 2012
map size just seems stupid unless they are going to allow more players in the same game.. who wants to fight through a 4X bigger map size and drag a game out to 3 hours a game instead of 1..
You know there's a very large Scenario designer and Scenario player community right? :lol:

And mods for giant maps are already out OP, they have them over at AOKH.
Definitely agree that the huge map size is incredible for scenario designing! I just hope the game can support it with heavy triggering and detailed design as well!

Redsting, it is true that you can create a map larger than the "Giant (8 player)" size in the dropdown of the map tab of the editor, but it requires that you either download a template or use Trigger Studio. The largest possible map size in the limits of the Genie Engine (the game engine that AoK is based on) that is playable is 255x255, which is only slightly larger than the "Giant" size in the editor. Ludikris map size is 4x that, so 510x510. That's massive- a max amount of 260,100 tiles as opposed to 65,025!!!

UnknownPeterNY

Nov 3, 2014
aoe2pro.com
I personally think the Ludikris map size makes for the best games. You can really build empires and fight a long war rather than just a few small battles.

UnknownPeterNY

Nov 3, 2014
aoe2pro.com
Building an empire with large cities is so much more interesting than micro managing battles IMO. It also takes very different skills. I hope they boost the population size to 1000 soon. That would be awesome.

GermanyJohn the Late

Nov 6, 2013
Germany
I second what Bobomb said. There are many ways to enjoy this game, and none is inferior to another.

I think I was making scenarios and playing in SP for 8 or 9 years before coming to multiplayer and I had no less fun back then! :smile:

UnknownPeterNY

Nov 3, 2014
aoe2pro.com
I played a nice war yesterday. 9 to 1045PM. Quite the war: my opponent attacked me relentlessly (Aztecs: him versus Japanese: me). But towards 1030PM his economy ran out of steam and I overwhelmed him: he then resigned. :sick:

My castles, scout cavalry(against his siege onagers) and spearmen did the job.

UnknownPeterNY

Nov 3, 2014
aoe2pro.com
Played another great game yesterday. About 2 hours. Teutons versus Magyars. His cavalry was unable to hurt my economy and I rolled him up with halberdiers / teutonic knights / battering rams and siege onagers. :D

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ToA Swiss R3: Lower Bracket Top2
Tuesday 17:00 (GMT +02:00)
King_Marv+ Scogo+Magicrusher -VS- speedlimit+DarthMortius+Fred
DELAYED: BacT slam vs Metal Stefan NOT happening today, prob Thursday
Tuesday 19:00 (GMT +02:00)
BacT+slam -VS- Metal+Stefan
Talk of the Empire