KotD video and visual mod

BrazilBruZi

Well Known Pikeman
Jan 31, 2017
Hi everyone, for some time I have been working on some visual mods for Aoe2 and recently I decided to go a bit further and contribute to the KotD by adapting a mod for the tournament desertic atmosphere.
I thought the mods should fit especially for casting and I have made a trailler as a promo for the tournament and showcasing my mods (which files I need to organize to make them public in no time).
My hardware is not the best for screen capturing and video edition so better quality is a promise for next time, but hope you enjoy it anyways. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGxF4srHW8

BrazilBruZi

Well Known Pikeman
Jan 31, 2017
Thanks nimanoe and swissboyy, I have uploaded the mod to the voobly mod center.

Mod Link

Both arabia maps have desertic landscapes. Normal arabia resembles the Sahara and the deserts of the arabian peninsula, green arabia was made to resemble other deserts around the world.

These images are not as defined as in-game but it shows a bit how it looks like:

United StatesT-West

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 2, 2014
Voobly
TWest
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Always great to see more well-done graphics mods! Making the mod for a specific map really gives the chance to explore the theme in depth.

UnknownLittle_Jacob

Oct 23, 2017
lol I went to sleep with the KOTD song from the video in my head.."king of the deseeeeeeert" :D
I saw bulletchen stream with this on look amazing.
its a great time for AOE, to have an specific mod AND a soundtrack for a single tournament is glorious

BrazilBruZi

Well Known Pikeman
Jan 31, 2017
Thanks all,

the main goal was to reach a better graphical harmony, so it looks better if you disable other terrain/trees/water mods.
Remember it is meant for arabia, since I didn't do the other kinds of water that are used on water maps.

@swissboyy: thanks for the organization :wink:

BrazilBruZi

Well Known Pikeman
Jan 31, 2017
Any feedback is welcome, thanks.

Balcanman, I agree, the water might be too fast for a pond, but I'm limited to editing the texture only, not the speed. I guess this is determined in the userpatch files. The speed is ok for sea water though.

As for the water flow direction, this should be determined in the script of a particular map. I don't know if there are more than 2 options.
Actually I think it would be better to have the flowing water from southwest to northeast (same direction as wind in game) as standard. I have made a mod with the shallow water having beach waves but it's a bit more tricky to make waves that look good when the water could be flowing in any of the directions.

BulgariaRorarimbo

Known Member
Jan 10, 2016
Bulgaria
I have not tested it in game but I have seen it while KotD games are casted. You have done very well. IIt definately gives this desert feeling the tournament needs on the greenlike Arabia maps. The sand is good but the trees are fantastic!

I dont know if its possdible to change the colors in the minimap also so the minimap is not green.

FranceTarsiz

Longswordman
Feb 27, 2017
Seattle
I think the texture pack looks amazing and I usually hate all of these (nothing beats vanilla AOE flavor when it comes to maps and terrains, both the Steam workshop and Voobly mod center are full of those atrocious looking texture packs...).

Great work, really. :smile:

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 3v3
Thursday 18:00 (GMT +01:00)
Group D: India vs Anvil
EscapeTV Launch Event - Day 1
Friday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
TheViper, TaToH, MbL & Liereyy on LAN
Improvement Cup 3v3
Saturday 11:00 (GMT +01:00)
Group A: Gurkentruppe vs. A real estate agent, a tradie, a sales rep and a Mafiosi
Improvement Cup 4v4
Saturday 11:00 (GMT +01:00)
Group C: [ Australia/New Zealand ] vs How To Train Your dRoggan
Improvement Cup 4v4
Saturday 16:00 (GMT +01:00)
Group D: Schmetterlings vs [French Community]
EscapeTV Launch Event - Day 2
Saturday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
TheViper, TaToH, MbL & Liereyy on LAN
Improvement Cup 4v4
Sunday 11:30 (GMT +01:00)
Group A: Team Straya/NZ vs new Chapter