kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The "View new posts" option at top is great for browsing this forum. That is first thing I do after logging in and I presume most people do that. However the new posts list gets flooded by recorded games posts and sometimes you have to go 2nd-3rd page to see actual new posts.

Is there a way to filter out posts certain forums or particular type of posts from appearing in "View new posts" lists so that actual posts can be read and discussed. Nothing wrong with people posting recorded games but I presume its not something which most people are interested in, considering there is almost no discussion happening in most of them.

In my view, Live spectating and streams have really killed the appeal of recorded games which is quite clear by lack of participation in those posts.

Netherlandsnimanoe

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Jan 15, 2014
kinda related, but would be great if you could sort View new posts by amount of replies since you were gone, so you know what the most active topics were

UnknownSethGecko

May 28, 2014
Of course, a server side solution would be best. Until then, I have quickly written a script which hides recorded games from being shown on the View new posts page. Feel free to use or improve it: AoCZone Cleaner

INSTALL

• 1.1 Firefox: Install the Greasemonkey add-on
    1.2 Chromium/Chrome: Install the Tampermonkey extension

Install one of the three AoC Cleaner versions:
    (installing more than one is possible. Make sure to enable only one in *monkey)

2.1 AoCZone Cleaner
    -> hides topics from most of the Recorded Games sections (look into the code to see which forums are hidden)
    -> doesn't hide topics from the tournament sections since there are useful topics sometimes

2.2 AoCZone Cleaner Strict
    -> additionally hides all Recorded Games sections of the board
    -> well, actually, it hides a topic if the corresponding list element contains the string "Recorded Games"

2.3 AoCZone Cleaner Strict (+ Scheduling)
    -> additionally hides all Scheduling topics
    -> careful: a topic is hidden if it contains the string "Scheduling"

Upon clicking one of the three links, an install dialog should open.

If you want to disable the script temporarily, just hit the monkey button on the top right and refresh the website.

May 22, 2011
Amsterdam
I think it could be good to have this option available. Although on the other hand it does slightly take the credit away from the recorded game posters... In this scenario there will be even less comments on RG posts.

FinlandJupe

Jul 9, 2012
best would be to be able to tick those post from the view new posts, because i often like to go through the scores between the most interesting matchups/players but ignore about half of the other posted recs

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Of course, a server side solution would be best. Until then, I have quickly written a script which hides recorded games from being shown on the View new posts page. Feel free to use or improve it: AoCZone Cleaner

INSTALL

• 1.1 Firefox: Install the Greasemonkey add-on
    1.2 Chromium/Chrome: Install the Tampermonkey extension

Install one of the three AoC Cleaner versions:
    (installing more than one is possible. Make sure to enable only one in *monkey)

2.1 AoCZone Cleaner
    -> hides topics from most of the Recorded Games sections (look into the code to see which forums are hidden)
    -> doesn't hide topics from the tournament sections since there are useful topics sometimes

2.2 AoCZone Cleaner Strict
    -> additionally hides all Recorded Games sections of the board
    -> well, actually, it hides a topic if the corresponding list element contains the string "Recorded Games"

2.3 AoCZone Cleaner Strict (+ Scheduling)
    -> additionally hides all Scheduling topics
    -> careful: a topic is hidden if it contains the string "Scheduling"

Upon clicking one of the three links, an install dialog should open.

If you want to disable the script temporarily, just hit the monkey button on the top right and refresh the website.
Thanks. I briefly tested this on my personal PC yesterday and it works. However for mobile devices and machines where you can't install extensions (workplace) a server/site wise solution would be needed.

I think it could be good to have this option available. Although on the other hand it does slightly take the credit away from the recorded game posters... In this scenario there will be even less comments on RG posts.
I am only requesting this as an option so it becomes a user choice if he wants to see or not. For people who are not interested in this its more of an annoyance than anything else. If this ever gets implemented then by default all the posts should be appearing like they are now BUT user can choose to filter them out. In this case only who really want to not see the rec games posts would go an extra step. I really like the 3 options in the script solutions posted above.

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The script solution hides them but still those posts do not get marked as seen. So you end up in a situation that new posts counter is like 40 but you don't see anything.

UnknownSethGecko

May 28, 2014

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
This forum has become only a scheduling forum in recent 5-6 months. Currently there are 5 pages of scheduling posts and with the number of tournaments going on its not going to be less. There is no discussion about games or any other topics because its hard to find anything which you might be interested in.

Using the forum for tournament organization is perfectly fine but it renders it unusable to rest of the users. Hence, is there anything we can do about my suggestion in OP?

AustraliaSocksyy

Well Known Pikeman
Nov 6, 2013
Australia
Voobly
Socksyy
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
This forum has become only a scheduling forum in recent 5-6 months. Currently there are 5 pages of scheduling posts and with the number of tournaments going on its not going to be less. There is no discussion about games or any other topics because its hard to find anything which you might be interested in.

Using the forum for tournament organization is perfectly fine but it renders it unusable to rest of the users. Hence, is there anything we can do about my suggestion in OP?
so true

Aland Islandskw1k000000

Well Known Pikeman
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I don't think most of the rec games posted come from an automatic poster, do they?
Yeah, I think the feature kw1k found has been there for a long time, and the GamePoster bot posted here for example: http://aoczone.net/viewforum.php?f=440
:frown:

ok, false alarm. you guys are right, this feature does nothing. I saw it for first and thought this is new.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Talk of the Empire
Wednesday 20:00 (GMT +02:00)
w/ Nili, Zak & Nicov
Golden Clown Bracket Terror vs Metal
Wednesday 20:00 (GMT +02:00)
Circus Games
ECL Africa 3v3