AOE-HD Ethopians free halbs annoying

Sep 21, 2016
Isn't it too much that enemy gets free halbs, along with faster arbs and siege rams? Idk, I find it quite annoying to play against this bonus, as your cav becomes useless immediately on imp, and you can't match their arbs with your own archers either. They have entire siege line as well..

Idk if they should even get halbs, because they already have heavy camels? Vikings and Aztecs miss halbs to compensate for their good early game.. Ethiopians seem to don't care :roll:

Perhaps halbs could be removed entirely? If that's too weak, give plate barding armor to strengthen camel as an option?

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
Isn't it too much that enemy gets free halbs, along with faster arbs and siege rams? Idk, I find it quite annoying to play against this bonus, as your cav becomes useless immediately on imp, and you can't match their arbs with your own archers either. They have entire siege line as well..

Idk if they should even get halbs, because they already have heavy camels? Vikings and Aztecs miss halbs to compensate for their good early game.. Ethiopians seem to don't care :roll:

Perhaps halbs could be removed entirely? If that's too weak, give plate barding armor to strengthen camel as an option?
YES lets go back to aok where everything made sense

SpainPoxo

Halberdier
Oct 27, 2012
Madrid, Spain
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
They are just like brit but with worse eco bonus. (Tc one) therefore they get free halb and full siege. Making them a good civ in... All the stages of the game, feudal, Castle, early and late imp.

Very well balanced.

P.s. As many people don't understand sarcasm this is a reminder that this post is indeed sarcasm.

Hungarymisafeco

Feb 17, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Meso civs completely own them (eagles>anything Ethiopians can train). They don't even get champion to counter eagles. Malians and Goths also own them with the extra infantry pierce armor units. Briton archers outrange them and range>rate of fire. I think they also have problems against good CA civs like Huns and Magyars. Add Berbers because of the Camel Archer. That's already 9 civilizations. If I'm not wrong, they were already nerfed in recent patches. If you also take halbs away they will simply suck.
Fun fact: Ethiopians only won 4 games (out of 15) so far in the King of the Desert tournament. 2 vs. Malay, 1 vs. Vietnamese and 1 vs. Burmese.

ChilewAkKo

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2008
Chile
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Meso civs completely own them (eagles>anything Ethiopians can train). They don't even get champion to counter eagles. Malians and Goths also own them with the extra infantry pierce armor units. Briton archers outrange them and range>rate of fire. I think they also have problems against good CA civs like Huns and Magyars. Add Berbers because of the Camel Archer. That's already 9 civilizations. If I'm not wrong, they were already nerfed in recent patches. If you also take halbs away they will simply suck.
Fun fact: Ethiopians only won 4 games (out of 15) so far in the King of the Desert tournament. 2 vs. Malay, 1 vs. Vietnamese and 1 vs. Burmese.
Shotels work good vs ew, and they run fast too. I've even tested them vs goth husks / champs combos, and they do pretty ok.

The weakness is the low hp and their resistance to ranged units.

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
Me too I'm just reading what I wanted to read

FranceTriRem

Well Known Pikeman
Dec 13, 2015
France
Archer attack 10% faster (down from ~18%)
+50f/50g in feudal, 100/100 in castle and 150/150 in imp
Pikeman/halb upgrade are instantaneous & cost no food

That would be my balance changes to Ethiopians. They still get the convenience of the early pike/halb but don't get to save the massive 600 gold of the halb upgrade.

Hungarymisafeco

Feb 17, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Shotels work good vs ew, and they run fast too. I've even tested them vs goth husks / champs combos, and they do pretty ok.

Let's say they're OK vs ew, but terrible vs. ew+archer/slinger combo. All your opponent needs to do is to micro.
Against champs they do well (higher attack/lower HP cancels each other out) but certainly not cost effective as they cost almost 2x as much gold. Goths can spam husk/champ mixed and easily beat your arb/shotel army while using less gold.
Shotels are amazing against trash I'll give them that.

ChilewAkKo

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2008
Chile
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak

Let's say they're OK vs ew, but terrible vs. ew+archer/slinger combo. All your opponent needs to do is to micro.
Against champs they do well (higher attack/lower HP cancels each other out) but certainly not cost effective as they cost almost 2x as much gold. Goths can spam husk/champ mixed and easily beat your arb/shotel army while using less gold.
Shotels are amazing against trash I'll give them that.
I agree. Just wanted to point out that they do have an unit that can deal with ews, which was the original statement. If u add slingers, plums or arbalest they will die for sure.

MexicoSouFire

Mar 11, 2011
Mexico
Certainly a civ with strong range units and free anti cavalry upgrades plus extra resources when reaching the next age is just too much for free but come on man all the new civs are totally OP, the nerf on aok and aoc civs make the new civs even more powerful, if you are playing the expansions then pick civ it is a free world.

United StatesTocaraca

Known Member
May 18, 2017
Florida
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Ethiopians have the worst Heavy Camels in the game, I would almost never make them over Halberdiers.

Ethiopians aren't really an OP civ.

Most balance issues are from unique units like Arambai, Camel Archers, KARAMBITS and Condottieri.

Mar 30, 2013
Tocaraca said:
Ethiopians have the worst Heavy Camels in the game, I would almost never make them over Halberdiers.

Most balance issues are from unique units like Arambai, Camel Archers, KARAMBITS and Condottieri.
Karambits arent that OP, in TGs they are decent, but killable with a cobo of units. In 1v1 they can be extremly strong, but you need to have at least 3+ castles and survive until imp, which isnt that easy (like KotD shows 11), kinda like mongols.

United KingdomHyunAOP

Longswordman
Nov 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Because they save 510f 690g?

Why have other civs consistently beaten Ethiopians then? :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/8f9GddQ.png

I guess if people don't want to make units that also counter halbs upon entering imp then that's on them. I also don't think people always pull out the SO+Torsion in 1v1s either, it's way too expensive.

They also don't get HC/Champion/Bloodlines/Platebarding so a full Siege Workshop line makes sense and it's unique coz no other civs have it (kind of like spanish FU trash). Ethiopians have a lot of glass cannon like units that can die super easily namely the shotel warrior so the free halb + full siege line and better arbs is imo fine.

It's really handy in TG situation vs Battle Elephants, I only think Ethiopians need the following change.

The free food and gold staggered per age (food/gold)

- 50/50 feudal, 100/100 castle, 150/150 imp

- Rebalance the Archer firing rate

Worst case scenario if free halb is that bad. Just make pikemen free and halb with 50-75% upgrade cost entirely. Turks have had free hussar for years and that's a pretty good early imperial raiding unit granted turks options in imp in 1v1 is not too great after gold is dry but they are fine in certain TG maps and even 1v1 arena. There are way more OP early game things to nerf from other civs but this is the one you chose? :lol:

United KingdomHyunAOP

Longswordman
Nov 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak

Hungarymisafeco

Feb 17, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak

Unknownasdfasdfasdf1

Jul 13, 2017
Karambits are easily the most broken and underrated unit in the game. They beat goth -35% cheaper infantry spam, they beat HCs, they completely destroy elite mangudai or camel archers (even if you group them up as tight as possible). They even beat fully upgraded paladins in a 4:1 ratio (which is roughly the same cost but 2x population)

The only units they can't efficiently beat are elephants, teutonic knights, samurais, cataphracts and boyars. The only thing that really limits them is creation speed, which is not a good thing IMO.

Ireland_Melkor

Jun 20, 2011

When Karambits can even outspam and outkill Hand Cannoneers, you have a problem there.
That's not the problem with them, the problem is that they outmatch infantry and cavalry.
The whole half pop thing makes them an interesting anti archer UU. They are OP because in addition to being designed well for anti archer they kill everything else too.

United KingdomHyunAOP

Longswordman
Nov 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak

When Karambits can even outspam and outkill Hand Cannoneers, you have a problem there.
That's not the problem with them, the problem is that they outmatch infantry and cavalry.
The whole half pop thing makes them an interesting anti archer UU. They are OP because in addition to being designed well for anti archer they kill everything else too.
I was just pointing out one issue for the Karambits. I have many more but you practically summed up the important parts.

United StatesJoshuaR

Known Member
Oct 11, 2013
I have yet to see karambits win anything in all the streams I've watched or games I've played. Someone link me to the karambit power!!!

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Road from 1.6k to 2k
Thursday 11:00 (GMT +02:00)
Daut's Road to 2k
LotH2 - Quarterfinals
Thursday 19:00 (GMT +02:00)
MbL vs Spaden
ECL Europe East 4v4