ECL Streaming Rules Update

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
ecl-header (1).png

Dear Community,

We want to make the ECL the best that it can possibly be, with easy viewing, transparency and most of all, epic games. So far we feel that we (or should I say the players) have delivered on the Epic Games part, but it’s time to address streaming.

We thought long and hard about how to address the streaming issues in a way that pleases everyone, so here’s the plan:
From South East Asia 1v1 onward (February 4th) we will be changing the event streaming policy and increasing the prize pool for the LAN portion of the tournament by $4,000.

Streaming Policy- All games may be streamed live, from player POV and by live spectators. This includes Chinese players and any other streamer who wants to cover the event as per our open streaming policy. The games will also be covered as they are now on Saturdays at 14:00 on the Escape Twitch channel from recorded games for those that missed the live content and want to see all of the games back to back in our existing format.
Our objective is for everyone to enjoy the ECL content in a way that best suits them, if we can grow the viewership for our game then we can continue to create more events in the future.

As always, we are learning as we go, we are a long way from achieving what we would like to, but every step we will try to improve the experience for everyone involved. As we move our focus towards making the most epic LAN event possible we hope that the new streaming policy is a welcome change by all.

We will also be adding $4,000 to the LAN final prize-pool a welcome addition to motivate the teams and players even further and ensure that the LAN receives the hype it deserves.

Due to the situation with China blocking Twitch and these Chinese community not having dedicated casters or coverage we will also allow the Chinese players to stream their POV immediately from today onward. You may not cast other matches but your POV streams will be allowed until the start of the South East Asia 1v1 stage.

The reason we are not implementing this sooner is because we do not want to cause any clash with Memb's KotD2 tournament which was planned around the schedule for ECL as it originally was. With live games this will change slightly-
There will be relevant updates to the handbook to reflect these changes soon.

All The Best-
Zak.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018
It has to be said that as per this announcement, you have proved that you are interested in this community. I hope those who were so quick to judge will take just as much time now to thank you for your flexibility and willingness to take other's views into account. I didn't see this coming at all. Wp Zak

ChileBowserlord

Known Member
Jul 18, 2018
What is the REAL reason for this change? This looks not really transparency for me. Looks like someone wasnt happy with the viewer-numbers...
Who still wants to cast the recorded games on saturday ... ? There will be spoilers everywhere...

Last edited:

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
What is the REAL reason for this change? This looks not really transparency for me. Looks like someone wasnt happy with the viewer-numbers...
Who still wants to cast the recorded games on saturday ... ? There will be spoilers everywhere...
There's some changes to the Escape format coming next year- you'll have to stay tuned for more details, but that will help to make everything crystal clear.

We are keeping the Saturday show because we still believe in providing consistent coverage of the event which is packaged into one stream for those who can't catch all of the live games. People wanting to avoid spoilers can close the chat.

NetherlandsBurandal

Aug 11, 2015
If you spoil something before the weekend streams, or talk about them in the chats of the players involved in those games afterwards, you deserve a slap in the ..... So i hope everyone will be a responsible viewer and only watch it, but don't talk about it. Just like the first rule of fightclub: "You do not talk about spoilers"

Bit rude post, kinda demanding a reason because you don't believe the reasons given to you, no one is obligated to be "transparent to you or tell you the "truth" as you so call it.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
10/10 conspiracy post.
Time to go back to watch some youtube videos about flat earth bro 11

Mexicomalamadre

Known Member
Jul 15, 2014
I want to think Microsoft wanted to see some number x of viewers, put a challenge on Zak and Escape. So they made a fairly closed streaming policy. Then the events took place, Escape showed Microsoft AOE2 is no joke with getting thousands of viewers.

So Zak/Escape now focuses on pleasing the community, making everyone happy after making the big money boys happy as well.

Now Microsoft dropped more money into tournaments. Well played Zak, good job. Your master plan worked.

BelarusOLADUSHEK

Known Member
Mar 30, 2016
Belarus, Minsk
rusaoc.ru
Voobly
OLADUSHEK
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
There's some changes to the Escape format coming next year- you'll have to stay tuned for more details, but that will help to make everything crystal clear.

We are keeping the Saturday show because we still believe in providing consistent coverage of the event which is packaged into one stream for those who can't catch all of the live games. People wanting to avoid spoilers can close the chat.
Also there is an option with only subscribers chat.

Unknown_Andrew

Longswordman
Jan 2, 2013
Good decision, albeit a bit late. I said from the start the fact that games wouldn't be streamed live would really cut into the interest for the event.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2
Friday 18:30 (GMT +01:00)
Vivi vs JonSlow
DERAC - Quarterfinal #3