ECL Questions & Answers

Austriateutonic_tanks

Two handed swordman
Mar 30, 2013
I would have a question about the mapcontest/torunament:
Would it be possible to bring the runner-up map somehow as pickable HM?

The idea: the lower seeded team/underdog (or also the higher rather team, this is flexible) can deside which of the 2 maps of the mapcontest of each stage is added to the other 5 maps of the set. Afterwards the baning and picking is done from these 6 maps, in the same order as the rules say.

I only ask that, because the best price/way to appriciate the work for a map-writer is, that the map is being played and not mainly the money, at least for me :smile: also this would increase the freedom of the players a little bit. The "best" map is already prized higher and since it's at least in theory better than the runner-up map it should also get picked more often. But from time to time even the runner-up map would get a chance.

Feb 19, 2016
Voobly
crash_overdrive
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I don't get why there is so much need for discussion. FE should make a balance change where every civ can train cobra car for free (from their tc ofcourse) if they type "how do you turn this on?" in the chat (starting from dark age). That would balance every thing out instantly. No need for these long discussions. Furthermore it would even balance out the fact that AOE2 was unbalanced from the very beginning. This would nerf towers, battle elephants, arambai, karambits and every other unit that anyone thinks is OP.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
Not so much a question, rather a suggestion. Can we get player interviews included in the casts as well? Not necessary winner interviews, but just interviewing some players. And given that it is not live, casters/zak should have enough opportunity to prepare for the interviews as well to also talk about something else than the games etc.

Mar 10, 2018
I've been wondering: Are there any rules about comunication between teams about whom they will send (in each bracketside) to the 1v1 events?
Because if, for example, two teams face each other in the first round of a 1v1 bracket, and both want to send 1 player considert stronger and one considert weaker - it could be advantageous for them to place the supposedly strong players in opposid sides of the bracket so there is a lower risk of getting knockt out early. (advantageous in comparison to the other teams ofc not between themselfs)

Hungarymisafeco

Known Member
Feb 17, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Voobly
misafeco
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I've been wondering: Are there any rules about comunication between teams about whom they will send (in each bracketside) to the 1v1 events?
Because if, for example, two teams face each other in the first round of a 1v1 bracket, and both want to send 1 player considert stronger and one considert weaker - it could be advantageous for them to place the supposedly strong players in opposid sides of the bracket so there is a lower risk of getting knockt out early. (advantageous in comparison to the other teams ofc not between themselfs)
I think you cannot choose which side of the bracket you want to take. The admins make a draw or something like that to determine the first pairings.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
I think you cannot choose which side of the bracket you want to take. The admins make a draw or something like that to determine the first pairings.
Yes, the brackets are drawn, but every team decides which side either of their players is on. So technically teams could make sure they are not clashing with their best players in the first round. I don't think this will be the case though and also would be impossible to control, so I think a rule there is not necessary.

Hungarymisafeco

Known Member
Feb 17, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Voobly
misafeco
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Yes, the brackets are drawn, but every team decides which side either of their players is on. So technically teams could make sure they are not clashing with their best players in the first round. I don't think this will be the case though and also would be impossible to control, so I think a rule there is not necessary.
That's not what I mean. An example:
Secret vs. aM in one of the 1v1 events' 1st round. Both teams have to choose 2 of their players. Let's say Secret plays with Viper and Tatoh and aM plays with Liereyy and Mbl. Admin makes a draw: Viper plays against Liereyy and Tatoh plays against Mbl. Or the other way around but the point is that they (the players) don't have an influence on the outcome.

I might be wrong but in my opinion this is the best way to avoid any "cheating".

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
That's not what I mean. An example:
Secret vs. aM in one of the 1v1 events' 1st round. Both teams have to choose 2 of their players. Let's say Secret plays with Viper and Tatoh and aM plays with Liereyy and Mbl. Admin makes a draw: Viper plays against Liereyy and Tatoh plays against Mbl. Or the other way around but the point is that they (the players) don't have an influence on the outcome.

I might be wrong but in my opinion this is the best way to avoid any "cheating".
I know what you mean, but this is not how it is currently implemented. At the moment all P1 from the teams are on the upper half of the bracket and the P2 are on the lower half. So, to stay in your example, Secret and aM could agree on having Viper vs. MbL and Liereyy vs. TaToH or whatever they both would want.

One could change that to a draw system as you proposed, but I don't think it is an issue in any way

Hungarymisafeco

Known Member
Feb 17, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Voobly
misafeco
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
From the ECL handbook:
"C.15. The Team Captain must inform a Lead Admin which of their players will be representing them before the scheduling for any 1v1 or 2v2 events begin."
This doesn't indicate that the captain nominates a Player 1 and a Player 2, he just writes two names to the admin.
How is this working @ZeroEmpires @robo ?

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
As nimanoe quoted the team decides which side of the bracket they are on.

If they did try to discuss that between the teams there is nothing stopping one team from doing the opposite. Eg have viper face liereyy and tatoh face mbl to give tatoh a better chance at qualifying.

GermanyMichaerbse

Oct 14, 2017
As nimanoe quoted the team decides which side of the bracket they are on.

If they did try to discuss that between the teams there is nothing stopping one team from doing the opposite. Eg have viper face liereyy and tatoh face mbl to give tatoh a better chance at qualifying.
This is true but @GWLeibniz still has a point at saying that this is a potential issue.

Situation 1: Teams do not communicate beforehand about their lineups => no difference between team decision and random draw
Situation 2: Team communicate beforehand
- team decision: teams can "legally manipulate" the draw or "betray" each other like you described
- random draw: no wangling/betrayal

I don't see any advantage of having the teams decide. Could you explain the reason for having the teams decide? Do I overlook something? Or are these mindgames actually intended (to avoid Viper vs. Liereyy in first round)?

Unknownmogers87

Feb 26, 2017
Around what date will the LAN final take place? June/July 2019?
Any idea when the date will be set? i.e. will there be a chance to spectate onsite?

Unknownchicklet

Sep 4, 2017
After allowing time for issues with commentator and cameraman alignment to be resolved, it seems that there has been an improvement. The ‘voice in the ear’ is apparently helping and the commentators have made good adjustments to their style.

And yet........ECL games cast by Escape still aren’t as enjoyable for me as games cast by others. Even when commentators are the same. The recorded aspect isn’t the problem, it is definitely the use of a cameraman.

In trying to show the audience everything, the cameraman is flying around the map responding to both commentators as well as showing us things they’ve noticed and trying to ‘communicate’ through the mouse cursor. The effect is we see 3 or 4 seconds of more action areas instead of a prolonged view of a smaller number.

My preference is to see more of how situations develop, the event and then the response/reaction from players. Others might feel different and want to see as many fights as possible.

After giving it a fair trial, I can sat that my preference would be for a lead commentator to also control the camera and I’m interested in how others feel.

Nov 16, 2015
Ive said it before, gave it some time and can say it now again. I also really dislike the cameraman Situation and whenever possible i watch non escape aoe casts of ECL. With all the technical issues and time differences it even got way worse. If its technically resolvable i dont see any reason to not have the casters pov. Dont mind the rec casting but this just makes it impossible for me to have an enjoyable viewing experience.

PeruHearttt

Halberdier
Sep 5, 2015
Peruuu
Voobly
Hearttt
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
The brackets for upcoming events were changed a couple weeks ago due to previously being completely unbalanced. Has this been announced anywhere publicly?

Also, water maps were "balanced" with WK; fish had much better distribution, but this doesn't seem to be the case with mediterranean (probably with other maps as well). What was the reason for reverting this change which was actually good?

Last edited:

PeruHearttt

Halberdier
Sep 5, 2015
Peruuu
Voobly
Hearttt
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Another thing. My team was striked 2 months ago or so because Mbl accidentally spoiled a game, but Secret (Daut and Viper especifically) spoiled more than once during the next 2 weeks and didn't receive a warning. In fact, I think it's ridiculous that teams can get striked for spoiling when you had a whole chinese community casting those same games as they were happening. Now you made a rule that chinese can't stream the games, but nothing was done about Vivi (I believe) casting the games while being fully aware that he wasn't allowed to.

The deadline for playing for the current 3v3 event was Sunday the 4th. My team scheduled and played within the timeline, yet we received a strike exactly 48 hours after the games were played when some teams hadn't even CONFIRMED their own match for that same round. Or, in the previous 1v1 event, two players didn't even post on the schedule topic until 3 days after they were supposed to have played. Seriously, it's a joke. Either put your man pants on and strike everyone who deserves it or turn a blind eye to everyone equally.

And an extra. I don't know what's the point of having captains for each team, the last 3 times I PMed Robo or Zak regarding ECL I didn't even get an answer. Who am I supposed to approach if not even this topic gets attention 2 days after posting?

Last edited:

South Africaaskl56

Halberdier
Mar 7, 2018
@Hearttt It's part of taking the game going professional, if we don't have rules then we don't have a tournament that can be taken seriously. There's a handbook with the rules and you don't really have an excuse for not reading it. /s

If you're going to write a handbook the length of Larry's night time storybooks then you may as well enforce the rules properly. The tournament is so long that you're asking for people to get progressively angrier as the summer turns to autumn, autumn turns to winter.

People like Hearttt could even leave the community if Heroes of Newerth returns or Pong, or Tetris.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Hidden Cup 2 Qualification Final
Wednesday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
dogao vs LaaaaaN
DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2