ECL Policy Thread

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
ecl-header.png
Hey everyone, I decided to make this thread to explain some of the policy decisions that we have made for this event in the effort to be completely transparent. You may want to check the Handbook which outlines all of the details about the entire event, and hopefully serves as an example of what levels of transparency we are aiming for.
I hope you can understand our situation and reasoning regarding the following topics.

Regards,
ZeroEmpires

The decision to play the games on GameRanger is simply a result of working to find the best solution possible given the circumstance. It was clear from the outset that Voobly would not be an option for us, since a). Microsoft is sponsoring and b). Even if we were allowed to use Voobly, our meetings with Voobly earlier in the year did not end very well at all.
I negotiated hard to get the best playing experience for the players as I recognise that AoE:HD provides a sub-optimal playing experience. With GameRanger we will be able to utilise the Userpatch 1.5 and Wololokingdoms to hopefully give the smoothest playing experience possible for the participants.
After testing, the setup for GameRanger is fairly straight forward and the results are really good, very low latency even with a player from each continent in the game. The only issues we may face are connection issues, as players will be required to port forward in order to play.
It is stated in the Handbook that in the case of connection issues, players may try to resolve their problems by using DirectIP or trying AoEHD.

This has been a topic of hot debate in the community recently, and I want to write a short bit about the streaming policy.

We've worked hard to find a solution that fits the needs of everyone, and that's not easy. This event is unlike any other and Age of Empires II is in a strange position right now. We're not quite an eSport yet but we're not exactly dead and buried either. In fact, we're growing and continuing to see more and more opportunities as time goes by.
The streaming policy enables small channels the ability to stream at any time with no cost, while those with a sizeable audience will pay a percentage fee based on their subscriber counts at the time of casting. This is a semi-open policy, since the way that the rules are written mean that streamers will be first streaming on the EscapeAoE channel and in the situation that they are not picked to cast will have the possibility to stream on their own channel as a secondary measure.
This ensures that the quality of casting on the EscapeAoE channel is always top class, while still giving the opportunity for a second or third stream to surface if we have too many streamers available and can't give them all a shift on a particular weekend.

I'm happy to say that after extensive talks with streamers we have come to a solution that works for them and for Escape Gaming and we're all on board with this project. I think the important thing here is that we are all working together to make the future of this game better.

The decision to use recorded games is for a couple of reasons:
1). GameRanger. We can't spectate live with GameRanger and as you can read in the first section of this post: GameRanger is our best option right now.

2). Timing. Even if spectating live were an option, we would have games sporadically played at all different times, making it harder to schedule casters and making it harder for you to know when the games will be played. We could cast the recs as soon as the games are completed; but if we are going to do that then we may as well wait a few days and do them all together.

Ultimately, the games will be seen for the first time when we cast them, the casters will not know the results ahead of the games and by casting the recorded games we can produce a regular show (14GMT start on Saturdays) without any delays, technical problems or any of the other drawbacks of live games.

Last edited:

PortugalMaSmOrRa

Knight
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2012
As I said, it's the best of what's available right now. I would have the tournament on Voobly if the decision was down to me (ZeroEmpires) alone.
Someone from Voobly's staff reading this, please just get in touch with EscapeGaming.

I'd be heartbroken to see the platform who has by far invested the most in this game over the years miss out on this unique opportunity.

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
I don't see any Chinese casters, do you have any contact with them or contracts with them for casting in Chinese? It's a huge market there...
We will get the games covered for the Chinese audience as best we can. Hopefully we'll have a Chinese team in the main event and they will be as hyped as we are.

Dec 21, 2014
USA USA USA!
Is there a reason for gameranger over just straight up UserPatch? A lobby system. I'm just curious because I haven't actually used gameranger or just userpatch for multiplayer.

I'm assuming just ease of use.

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
Is there a reason for gameranger over just straight up UserPatch? A lobby system. I'm just curious because I haven't actually used gameranger or just userpatch for multiplayer.

I'm assuming just ease of use.
It's much easier to use and set up versus dirtectIP. There's also warnings if things are mis-configured etc.

UnknownBlack Adder

May 18, 2013
Praha, Czech Republic
www.rts-league.org
Someone from Voobly's staff reading this, please just get in touch with EscapeGaming.

I'd be heartbroken to see the platform who has by far invested the most in this game over the years miss out on this unique opportunity.
I agree it's sad for the community, but as I posted elsewhere, it's ZeroEmpires who doesn't want to work with Voobly for one reason or another.

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
As I said, it's the best of what's available right now. I would have the tournament on Voobly if the decision was down to me (ZeroEmpires) alone.
I agree it's sad for the community, but as I posted elsewhere, it's ZeroEmpires who doesn't want to work with Voobly for one reason or another.
He seems to disagree with you

Mar 12, 2018
Voobly
liverpoolgamer
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
for the people blaming zak for not working out an agreement with voobly, there are two sides of the coin you know. I too am disappointed that the games won't be played on voovly & it voobly wont get the exposure from this massive tournament and so is zak. I am pretty sure that we will hear more about this issue in the future hopefully from voobly admins as to why this happened

Unknownmogers87

Feb 26, 2017
Sorry for the probably ignorant questions. I thought the Voobly restraint was about streaming live games.
Since you're going to stream recorded games, does that restriction still apply?
Also, do you need Voobly to watch those recorded games?

Mar 20, 2015
England
youtube.com
Sorry for the probably ignorant questions. I thought the Voobly restraint was about streaming live games.
Since you're going to stream recorded games, does that restriction still apply?
Also, do you need Voobly to watch those recorded games?
Voobly won’t be required for the entire tournament. We will have a spectator overlay that works with watching recs back locally.
Obviously Voobly would make everything easier, but we would be in trouble if the “This game was played on Voobly” message was shown in the recorded game.

GermanyKing_Marv

Longswordman
May 27, 2016
Germany
Voobly won’t be required for the entire tournament. We will have a spectator overlay that works with watching recs back locally.
Obviously Voobly would make everything easier, but we would be in trouble if the “This game was played on Voobly” message was shown in the recorded game.
just cover that part of the screen with a message - this game was played on GR :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Unknownscripter64

Longswordman
May 22, 2011
Maybe just hex edit the plain text chat out of the rec upon receipt from the players before forwarding to the streamers? It would be fairly easy with something like HxD. Anything that can make the player experience better might be good to consider, I think. With the current event schedule, outside of tiny weekend events, all of their attention and practice will likely be focused on these events for over a full year until past June 2019, so please think about their game experience.

1. host lobby, password protected, unrated to avoid match stats spoilers
2. players get the recs from SaveGame folder
3. players send recs to Escape or an intermediary
4. recs are cleaned and forwarded to streamers
5. streamers use offline wk install so viewers don't need to care where the recs came from

Last edited:

GermanyEscapeAoE

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
escape.gg
Maybe just hex edit the plain text chat out of the rec upon receipt from the players before forwarding to the streamers? It would be fairly easy with something like HxD. Anything that can make the player experience better might be good to consider, I think. With the current event schedule, outside of tiny weekend events, all of their attention and practice will likely be focused on these events for over a full year until past June 2019, so please think about their game experience.

1. host lobby, password protected, unrated to avoid match stats spoilers
2. players get the recs from SaveGame folder
3. players send recs to Escape or an intermediary
4. recs are cleaned and forwarded to streamers
5. streamers use offline wk install so viewers don't need to care where the recs came from
While this would work, isn't it a bit shady and attempting to hide from the Voobly staff? It's quite untoward and I am sure Voobly would not be happy with our behaviour if we did this.

Unknownscripter64

Longswordman
May 22, 2011
Yes, I suppose it comes down to how much value is placed on the experience of the players and their ability to comfortably enjoy this game we love for over a year of competition. The entity referred to as Voobly likely includes people with multiple opinions on this topic and, although some may object as you suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if others would, as fans of the game, rather see their favorite players enjoy themselves during your amazing event than worry about those lines in a rec file stored on an intermediary's computer. In the end, it's all about balancing interests.

GermanyFaultier321

Well Known Pikeman
Dec 28, 2016
Voobly
Faultier321
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I dont understand what interests are behind all this? Does Microsoft want to promote HD Edition, why is it beeing played on GameRanger then?

AustraliaSocksyy

Halberdier
Nov 6, 2013
Australia
Voobly
Socksyy
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
While this would work, isn't it a bit shady and attempting to hide from the Voobly staff? It's quite untoward and I am sure Voobly would not be happy with our behaviour if we did this.
I thought Voobly was supposed to make life easy for players though :frown:
It's nice to play Age of Empires with support going both ways, from voobly to players and from players to voobly :frown:
Instead they are spitting in our face making us play on gameranger or some other platform :frown:
fu whoever is making this happen :frown:
Imagine if gameranger didnt allow us to play :frown:

Unknownmogers87

Feb 26, 2017
It was clear from the outset that Voobly would not be an option for us, since a). Microsoft is sponsoring and b). Even if we were allowed to use Voobly, our meetings with Voobly earlier in the year did not end very well at all.
Since there's a never ending discussion already about this. I'd like to ask whether (a) means that Microsoft would never allow this event to happen on Voobly. If so, then there's no discussion to be had and we should move on.

If that's the case, I'd be interested in knowing why Microsoft is against Voobly, but given the lengthy discussion already, it's also fine to stop it there.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Hidden Cup 2 Qualification Final
Wednesday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
dogao vs LaaaaaN
DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2