ECL Civilization and map draft - no info or analyzation in the streams

FinlandJupe

Jul 9, 2012
ECL settings have many things that are kept hidden for the viewers in the streams - on of those things being the civ and map draft. I think it not only makes it very confusing for viewers to watch when there is no breakdown of why certain civilizations were chosen but also misses a key pre-game element that could be discussed and used to hype the games and sets more.

Atleast according to the rules the civs are drafted in order (ABABAB for example) and civ pool civs are accompanied by free pick civs (but any civ can only be picked once per set) atleast when i have been watching the streams i haven't even been given any info about the civs of the stage let alone have had any idea of the drafts, draft orders or banned maps. If even the basic consepts of the drafts are not told to the viewers we are very often left very confused by the civilizations players are using. It also seems as if the casters have very little idea about the civs or map drafts - or they are simply being told to not talk about them.

Why would teams pick civ like that? Is it because it is in the civpool or is it some weird strategical pick that was used as neat counter pick in the draft? What civilizations does the teams have yet to use? (especially on bo5 sets) Have teams used the best civs in the civ pool and are now left with weaker civs for the rest of the series? What map did team X ban? Those are just an example of what could be discussed within an ECL tournament game set.

I think it is not only causing big confusion to the ECL stream viewers but also missing a big possibility of pre-game analysis that would get us, the viewers deeper inside to the games, more hyped and more emotionally invested into the series.

I very much doubt the teams just roll the dice with their civ selection.

Last edited:

NetherlandsElvaenor

Known Member
Sep 2, 2015
the Netherlands
I think it's done this way because the average escape stream lasts 7/8 hours as it is. All the pregame analysis would add 30-45 minutes each set and make the stream too long. I think it would be interesting as well but you also can't forget the majority of the viewers is casual and is watching to see some good games!

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I think it's done this way because the average escape stream lasts 7/8 hours as it is. All the pregame analysis would add 30-45 minutes each set and make the stream too long. I think it would be interesting as well but you also can't forget the majority of the viewers is casual and is watching to see some good games!
I think the topic is not just about it being on stream but rather the availability/accessibility of information.

ECL communication is quite poor when it comes to disclosing details.

NetherlandsJaimeAOC

Known Member
Feb 22, 2018
Franks
Voobly
JaimeAOC
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Would be nice to have the draft available, either on stream or on AoEZone. With KOTD2 and NAC2 going on at the same time its hard to remember the settings from the stages (What civs are free pick and which one are mandatory)

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
I totally agree, but i guess that wont be that big of an issue in the future since you can watch the games live and there you will also see the drafting.
Don’t they do the drafting in the game? In that case i don’t think there is a way for streamers to show the draft, right? Or do they draft in the voobly room before they launch the game?

But even on the escape stream I think a nice civ chart would have and would be nice. I also don’t think it would take that long, just a minute between games or so where they show the civ pool for the stage and the civs already used in the series

SpainAtor

Known Member
Apr 3, 2011
Voobly
TaToH
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Don’t they do the drafting in the game? In that case i don’t think there is a way for streamers to show the draft, right? Or do they draft in the voobly room before they launch the game?

But even on the escape stream I think a nice civ chart would have and would be nice. I also don’t think it would take that long, just a minute between games or so where they show the civ pool for the stage and the civs already used in the series
We draft in game yes. They can see the civilizations if in the lobby chat we only speak about draft and is not a restart by clicking the diplomacy. If it is a restart they can't see them because the draft was in the restarted game.

Also unlike website, ECL draft system takes 10min easily on 4vs4 because there is no time limit for each civ pick so there is a lot of thinking about civilization sometimes to try to counter the other team.

FinlandTheMax

Known Member
Sep 12, 2012
We draft in game yes. They can see the civilizations if in the lobby chat we only speak about draft and is not a restart by clicking the diplomacy. If it is a restart they can't see them because the draft was in the restarted game.

Also unlike website, ECL draft system takes 10min easily on 4vs4 because there is no time limit for each civ pick so there is a lot of thinking about civilization sometimes to try to counter the other team.
I think in future rounds it would be the best if the draft was done in the game room rather than in-game. That would also give casters time to talk about the draft.

SpainAtor

Known Member
Apr 3, 2011
Voobly
TaToH
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I think in future rounds it would be the best if the draft was done in the game room rather than in-game. That would also give casters time to talk about the draft.
Thats what I thought as well. The idea of lobby-drafting was ideally for gameranger but now that the games are going to be live makes way more sense to do it in the game room.

Nepalarchxeon

Jan 6, 2014
Such a paradox. You do recorded games so you don't waste time and then you don't have time because you are doing recorded games all in a day (or two). I think this won't be applicable now.

NetherlandsElvaenor

Known Member
Sep 2, 2015
the Netherlands
Such a paradox. You do recorded games so you don't waste time and then you don't have time because you are doing recorded games all in a day (or two). I think this won't be applicable now.
Well at first I'm not the one who runs the stream so not sure why you adress me with this.
And secondly there are multiple reasons for doing recorded games. One of them at least is to have a standard time window each weekend to stream, so viewers won't be at work to view the stream. But as others have said it won't even matter in the future as they will switch to cast live games and do a recap at the weekend.

BrazilNigelSlack

Two handed swordman
Jul 5, 2010
Two things to point about it:
- About ECL Settings: it does take some work (and practice) to find out the best civ combinations and a lot of pre-game strategy to make it work.. which is good since it gives a boost to the more strategic teams... and not only a free pick, but the Map Ban and stuff like this is huge bullshit 11, it totally takes away much of a team pre-work..

- About Caster, i feel a very small number of caster goes that deep into settgs, and the one's who does it.. hardly have enough knowledge to at least give some "new" information to viewers... lot of wrong guesses "oh he went this civ for the sheep bonus!" like wut? nope dude there were the same regular 8 sheep on the map that ain't the reason.. not sure which one is worse 11

Nepalarchxeon

Jan 6, 2014
Well at first I'm not the one who runs the stream so not sure why you adress me with this.
And secondly there are multiple reasons for doing recorded games. One of them at least is to have a standard time window each weekend to stream, so viewers won't be at work to view the stream. But as others have said it won't even matter in the future as they will switch to cast live games and do a recap at the weekend.
I just wanted to add to your point of length of the stream (7/8 hours stream). Wasn't supposed to be a counter argument, just an observation from it. And yeah I get it, it will no longer be relevant.

Irelanddooog

Mar 3, 2018
Speaking of lack of info... am I completely blind or is there nowhere on aoezone to pull up the brackets for the current 1v1 event??
Also, how come Escape's twitch channel isn't casting the live games?

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Going forward escape events will include virtual Guess Who and each game will be worth double of a normal aoc game.

Devs are working hard on a web interface.

Switzerlandchrummi

Mar 1, 2018
The link to the brackets can be found in every post on the event calendar announcing a specific game, and it would only make sense to not update them before the escape stream happened. I dont know why they didnt livestream, i can only guess that it is because they dont want to be spoilered before they stream the recs. But once again we hav very poor communication from the escape team (btw im still waiting for an answer regarding the map contest winners...)

GermanyMichaerbse

Oct 14, 2017
Brackets is understandable but I think the map section for the stage on the homepage should be there before the tournament starts...

Switzerlandchrummi

Mar 1, 2018
It is there, just scroll down a bit on the home page and you see the maps. click on one of them and you find the map section. its just not linked on top.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

DERAC - Quarterfinal #1
Friday 17:00 (GMT +01:00)
Tim vs BacT
DERAC - Quarterfinal #2
Friday 18:30 (GMT +01:00)
Vivi vs JonSlow
DERAC - Quarterfinal #3