Civ choice Ro16 Game 4, why Mongols?

Dec 28, 2016
Hello experts,

as I am not able to get I out of my head, why did nearly all players so far in MoA5 Ro16 Game 4 (Civ choice between Mongols, Vietnamese and Franks) choose Mongols?

What's the logic behind that, for me Vietnamese kind of hard counter them with imp. skirms and rattan archers. Yes they have no eco bonus, but the Mongol's bonus of faster deer gathering is on arena not that decisive. Any ideas?

Or do they just fear a frank match up, I doubt that.....

GermanyKing_Marv

Longswordman
May 27, 2016
Germany
Vietnamese cant deal with SO and cant deal with siege rams.
Franks also cant deal with that.

Mongols is a bad arena civ but its the best out of those three.

Aug 24, 2015
ty gman
Also I'm really surprised no one went for franks especially the coach brothers since both of them likes to play scouts into mangonels scorps knights etc. They often choose civs like magyars and slavs, former for the obvious attack upgrades on cavalry and latter for good farming after scouts. Frank is imo one of the best civs to play full castle age push, free bloodlines, 54 hp on scout means you will always have the edge in scout wars and if it goes to castle age light cav/ kts war your light cavs will always have the edge. You also have the option to go for the fwd castle after your initial push- cheap castle really helps here- anti infantry UU to mix in with your army against pikes makes a great combination. However if it goes to imp, I guess elite mangudai is hard to deal with Franks. just my 2 cents

Czech RepublicDraCoNT

Two handed swordman
Jan 5, 2016
Vns should loose vs mongol. That hunt bonus on Arena might have bigger impact than you'd think, giving mongol very good start of a boom while vns have literally none eco bonus. Even top vns army - rattan + ele - should loose vs top mong army - SO + mangudais. With heavy scorps and some monks, there's no way for vns. Frank vs mong is very tricky though, I do believe franks could win over 50% games in that matchup, but it's really map dependent. If mong has back res and back base it's the better civ. If mongol has very fwd map, frank should win more games. Also the way how franks would need to play this is more the Arena way of playing (kts, securing fwd map, fwd castles with early imp), mongol fits more the ara players (boom, defensive civ for imp play with CA + hussar + siege ram).

Aug 24, 2015
Vns should loose vs mongol. That hunt bonus on Arena might have bigger impact than you'd think, giving mongol very good start of a boom while vns have literally none eco bonus. Even top vns army - rattan + ele - should loose vs top mong army - SO + mangudais. With heavy scorps and some monks, there's no way for vns. Frank vs mong is very tricky though, I do believe franks could win over 50% games in that matchup, but it's really map dependent. If mong has back res and back base it's the better civ. If mongol has very fwd map, frank should win more games. Also the way how franks would need to play this is more the Arena way of playing (kts, securing fwd map, fwd castles with early imp), mongol fits more the ara players (boom, defensive civ for imp play with CA + hussar + siege ram).
Why the hell melkor and feanor never goes for franks even though their playstyle fitting franks perfectly. Berry and farm bonus even makes it better

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL East Asia 4v4
Thursday 15:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL East Asia 4v4
NAC2 Promo: $100 Showmatch
Friday 16:00 (GMT +01:00)
BacT vs TheViper
KotD2 Quarterfinal