Chester Bennington, Linkin Park's singer took his own life.

Feb 8, 2013
Voobly
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Re: Chester Bennington, Linkin Park's singer took his own li

:cry: I used to listen to them so much
hybrid theory and meteora are 2 of my favorite albums of all time

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

Many kids are raised without seeing their father (divorce, mother custody, etc.), with an abusive father or without a father at all.
Many lost their dads in a car crash, or in case of occupational fatalities at work, that's about 5000 men dying at work each year in the US. His kids aren't the only ones to suffer right now.

Not even counting diseases. In which case, that's what Chester had. Depression makes you weak, mindless, out of control of your decisions. More than 50% of suicides source from a major depression. It's a bit easy to put on the blame on a dead, depressed, sick-brained person, who tried his best to hide it and make his band work, keep singing. Without playing his victim "look, I'm a sickf*ck" in front of his fans and audience.

Until the end he thought he was taking the right decisions (even when depressive people seem to live on an other level of logic than normal people). What he "did", well, what he won't do for his kids got nothing to do with cowardness nor sadism. He surely loved them and didn't had an agenda to kill himself until late.
Psychatric hospitals aren't a solution for depressive people either, apart from stuffing patients in pills and mocking the hard cases, doctors don't do much.

Sep 18, 2013
Voobly
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak

First time I'm crying for someone I didn't know. Linkin Park is a whole part of my life... :|

The only question that comes to my mind is why ? He seemed happy over the past months, even with the harsh criticism the new album received. I guess Chris Cornell's suicide played a big role in this.. But at one time he must have had to weigh the pros and the cons of doing what he did, how did he come to this tragic end when he had a loving family and new projects, that I can't understand..

RIP Chester :|

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

Maybe was it more of a sudden, desperate action after a severe mental breakdown.

Depressive people are subject to these many time a year; and as he was alone, he took the "occasion" to end his suffering once and for all.

Mar 5, 2014

Many kids are raised without seeing their father (divorce, mother custody, etc.), with an abusive father or without a father at all.
Many lost their dads in a car crash, or in case of occupational fatalities at work, that's about 5000 men dying at work each year in the US. His kids aren't the only ones to suffer right now.
This has literally nothing to do with what he did.

Not even counting diseases. In which case, that's what Chester had. Depression makes you weak, mindless, out of control of your decisions. More than 50% of suicides source from a major depression. It's a bit easy to put on the blame on a dead, depressed, sick-brained person, who tried his best to hide it and make his band work, keep singing. Without playing his victim "look, I'm a sickf*ck" in front of his fans and audience.

Until the end he thought he was taking the right decisions (even when depressive people seem to live on an other level of logic than normal people). What he "did", well, what he won't do for his kids got nothing to do with cowardness nor sadism. He surely loved them and didn't had an agenda to kill himself until late.
Psychatric hospitals aren't a solution for depressive people either, apart from stuffing patients in pills and mocking the hard cases, doctors don't do much.
I can sympathise with him, he was obviously very ill. Depression is a horrible sickness and you are right that often there isn't much that can be done. But that doesn't preclude it from being a cowardly choice.

Jun 5, 2011

Except for their last two albums I've enjoyed every freaking song LP ever released, absolutely loved their live perfomance. RIP

Mar 5, 2014
Apr 23, 2013

Don't see how its cowardly. If he had terminal cancer and was near the end, would it be cowardly for him to be euthanised?
Depression can be terminal for some people; treatment resistance, MTHFR mutations, brain damage from drug abuse etc. Unfortunately some people will never get better.

We don't know what he was going through, nor how he felt. So judging his actions is pretty unfair. Everyone has their own battle.

Mar 5, 2014

It's cowardly because he has 6 children and a wife that he's abandoned and likely done all sorts of permanent damage to. It's a tragic situation and like I said I sympathise with him but I'm still going to judge the action. The cancer analogy breaks down because depression doesn't kill you in and of itself, no matter how much it cripples your judgement.

Apr 23, 2013

It's cowardly because he has 6 children and a wife that he's abandoned and likely done all sorts of permanent damage to. It's a tragic situation and like I said I sympathise with him but I'm still going to judge the action. The cancer analogy breaks down because depression doesn't kill you in and of itself, no matter how much it cripples your judgement.
Well the other side to that argument is its cowardly to expect someone you love to endure harsh suffering and pain just because you don't want to feel the same thing.
Both parties are victims here.

Mar 5, 2014

All parties are victims here but there's room for nuance

You can't expect young children to sacrifice for their parents especially on this kind of scale, it's a total inversion of the parental relationship and responsibilities. It's the exact reason I think it was cowardly. Were his parents adults I wouldn't have called him a coward for it.

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

What if it wasn't a "choice" to took his life from his perspective, but rather a one-way road?

What was the right thing to do? Take a break with Linkin Park in the middle of a tour? Wait until all his children are past 15, so that he can retire from the hell his head - and probably some aspects of his life - had become?

I wonder how you would have act at his place.

Switzerlandpumukel

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2012
www.youtube.com

rip :frown:

It starts with one
One thing, I don't know why
It doesn't even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind
I designed this rhyme to explain in due time
(All I know)
Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
(It's so unreal)
Didn't look out below
Watched the time go right out the window
Tryin' to hold on, didn't even know
I wasted it all just to watch you go
I kept everything inside
And even though I tried, it all fell apart
What it meant to me will eventually
Be a memory of a time I tried so hard

I tried so hard and got so far
But in the end, it doesn't even matter
I had to fall to lose it all
But in the end, it doesn't even matter

Franceedie

Champion
Monk
May 9, 2013

I don't know him nor his music or songs, but sad to hear, for him and for his kids. There is so many famous artist who end suiciding, fame, drugs etc , not always good. Still @philipe if I was in his place I would never suicide, I can't understand how can he suicide and let everything behind him like this, just a wrong and bad choice which imo deserve the blame and criticism he receiving or being discussed.

Jul 2, 2013
傻逼

You guys can blame the man all you want, fact of the matter is he's dead now; he was a good human being who has done much more good than bad to this world.

Of course I don't support suicide in any way.

Though it's a little easy to put the finger on an brain-ill person when you didn't live a quarter of the suffering he had, and when you didn't have an hundreth of the social pressure he had to cope with daily being a music icon.
With little internet trolls, music critics and other cunts in the street, bashing at your doorstep day-in day-out because they don't like you/your music/the way you "sold out"/for the pleasure of it.

He basically ran out of patience. For everything.

Mar 5, 2014

What if it wasn't a "choice" to took his life from his perspective, but rather a one-way road?

What was the right thing to do? Take a break with Linkin Park in the middle of a tour? Wait until all his children are past 15, so that he can retire from the hell his head - and probably some aspects of his life - had become?

I wonder how you would have act at his place.
I get that you're a fan and you're upset. I was a fan too. Like I said earlier, I do sympathise with his struggles, but there's no need to either 100% condemn him or 100% exonerate him.

The fact is that it was a choice, a choice that materially harmed (perhaps even destroyed) his large family. It's a total abrogation of his duty as a husband and a father. He saw an escape and he thought he deserved it above any consideration for the people who rely on him in the deepest fibres of their beings and who have now been irreparably and fundamentally damaged by this, at their core.

I say this as someone who works in mental health and who has been the closest support of friends and family as they struggled with serious psychiatric illness and suicide attempts. I'm saying this last part to head off crybaby retards like Fall and kw1k who think the only reason anyone could disagree with them is because they're ignorant (as kw1k says) or evil (as Fall says, perhaps she's read too much Harry Potter)

Mar 13, 2017

By saying it´s his choice you do not acknowledge the existence of mental illness. It absulutely doesnt matter whether you find it okay because of his right of self-determination or whether you doom him because of his family. It is not about rational suicides as for example for suicide victims with terminal cancer but it is part of the illness itselfe that leads into commiting suicide.

Mar 13, 2017

Despite medicinal therapy, psychotherapy, ergo-therapy etc. severe depressions have an extremely poor prognosis.

A

Your choices are yours to make. One's first responsibility is towards themselves.
The children will suffer for sure, but you also have to account for your own suffering as well.

I am not saying it was a good choice. But it was his choice, and there's no point in judging his choices after he has made them. If we cannot help those who make terrible choices in their suffering before that choice is made, I think there is no point in passing judgment afterwards. That seems a little cowardly as well.

It's always hard to say what went on in his head, but let's just leave it at that. It also takes courage to take your own life. Maybe he got caught between a mountain and a valley.

Let the dead rest in peace. And **** your God if he judges him in that choice as well.

And I say that as someone who had had to make that choice. It's not easy, and it's not so simple. Stop giving it a simple rational explanation, just because you might have seen others make that choice from a distance. Even if you yourself came across that choice earlier, not everyone might be like you.

Shame on you. Shame on your God.

When did you get the right to judge him and who gave it to you?

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL Europe East 4v4
Saturday 16:00 (GMT +02:00)
ECL Europe East 4v4 Finals
Weekend Smackdown
Sunday 18:00 (GMT +02:00)
1 day event 1v1 on Yucatan
St4rk vs Mattheus Bo5 Showmatch presented by DemEyesRed