BOA/MembTv Hype - MembTv Porsche 968 Race Thread

UnknownTurbo_t11

Dec 18, 2017
Brilliant.

Crazy how much extra aero stuff the guy getting snuffed was running.
Didn't seem to helm him much though, taken down like it was nothing anyway. :cool:

Yes, you get it.
Kind of hard to describe before or from the track before pics and vids were posted just what he was up against or how much more developed we knew this car was ahead of time in the pre-race posts we made while showing the race prep pics at Membs Discord.

Being as you have some PM insight through a few messages we traded, I know for sure you know what a "tank slapper" is.
This next in-car video will show just how planted all that aero treatment makes the #41 car vs the razor's edge, ready to swap ends at any time handling that Eon was coping with just to run at this guys pace. Benefit is, you aren't pulling all that wing drag, so Eon had more top end speed.
If you have the opportunity to watch the whole 20-something minutes,
1) you will notice the in-car view of the exterior pass shot from earlier
2) get to see the desperation in the outbraking attempt car #41 had to do to re-pass for the lead.

A little view of the cockpit -

20180323_150618_resized.jpg Traqmate data logger and camera controller. This is what takes the data you will see on the overlay in the in-car video. Not just Memb has the best overlay...111 Emergency car power cut and fire extinguisher pull handles. On the steering wheel is push to talk communications for the two way radio set.
20180323_150553_resized.jpg
Front and rear facing 4k cameras.

And the bideo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVHHBJpipwg&feature=youtu.be

T

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
@Turbo_t11 Cool stuff

Best Lap: Lap 2
Lap Time : 01:58:222

- In F1, generally speaking the lap times become faster as the race goes on because of lighter fuel load. Does it not apply here? Or was being stuck in traffic of the times the reason why lap time did not improve after lap 2.

- What is the lap time you are targeting with this car? Just to get a feeling about how fast it could be done on this tract with these cars.

UnknownTurbo_t11

Dec 18, 2017
@Turbo_t11 Cool stuff

Best Lap: Lap 2
Lap Time : 01:58:222

- In F1, generally speaking the lap times become faster as the race goes on because of lighter fuel load. Does it not apply here? Or was being stuck in traffic of the times the reason why lap time did not improve after lap 2.

- What is the lap time you are targeting with this car? Just to get a feeling about how fast it could be done on this tract with these cars.
Thanks for the interest.

And that's a keen observation too, usually our best laps come 5-10 laps into a race and while fuel load IS lighter, and you also want to make your best attempt at qualifying with light fuel (so it does make a difference even for us), the reason for us that the best lap is not #2 is that tire temps come up, raise pressure as a product of heat and this usually happens 5-10 laps in optimally.

Traffic could have played a part here but it is an indicator that we missed starting tire pressure by 1-2 psi.

These tires will increase 8 psi during a 30 minute sprint.
Usually longer duration of laps will not be detrimental as they kind of plateau after that but for this car at this weight at that time of day on this surface and this ambient, we had no notes.

At 34 psi, these tires fall off like the edge of a cliff.

If we missed and started at 27psi instead of 26, it was a mistake.

This stuff is very complicated.

On top of everything else, as we reported from track during event, we were chasing an oversteering rear and an understeering front. This places heat that we would not even expect at best of times.
The front tires are plowing straight while trying to turn with a lot of "slip angle" and the rear is stepping out constantly and has to be controlled by steering inputs.
At one point of the video, in the last section, you can even see two black steaks appear behind the car when the rear gets sideways from trying to apply power. All of this contributes to overheating the tires.

Thanks again for being interested enough to ask.

We have set a plan of action for this car that will improve all aspects...., coming soon.

T

Feb 18, 2015
Voobly
kw1k
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Hey Turbo,

Thanks for explanations. I was asking more out of curiosity as my understanding of cars and racing is really limited (just watching F1 sporadically).

Good luck for future races & dont forget to post pics and videos.

UnknownTurbo_t11

Dec 18, 2017
Hey Turbo,

Thanks for explanations. I was asking more out of curiosity as my understanding of cars and racing is really limited (just watching F1 sporadically).

Good luck for future races & dont forget to post pics and videos.
No worries....., and it dawned on me after I hit send that I never answered one of the questions.

My son has been around this track in one of our other cars @ 1.58.9x best but this was in a similar car (944) but at 300lbs lighter class format and 80 less horsepower.

The track has lost 2.0 sec in potential due to bumps and surface age over the last couple years but all things being equal, if we could have gone back in time with this more powerful car, 1.56.xx would be a realistic expectation. It has 2.0 seconds per lap in the bag just on raw power. The other car handles better.

We are taking the less powerful car to Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham Alabama in 6 weeks to compete one class down SP2.

Very nice track/facility with giant (10-12 feet high) metallic sculptures of spiders etc. placed all around the track and grounds.

T

UnknownTurbo_t11

Dec 18, 2017
No worries....., and it dawned on me after I hit send that I never answered one of the questions.

My son has been around this track in one of our other cars @ 1.58.9x best but this was in a similar car (944) but at 300lbs lighter class format and 80 less horsepower.

The track has lost 2.0 sec in potential due to bumps and surface age over the last couple years but all things being equal, if we could have gone back in time with this more powerful car, 1.56.xx would be a realistic expectation. It has 2.0 seconds per lap in the bag just on raw power. The other car handles better.

We are taking the less powerful car to Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham Alabama in 6 weeks to compete one class down SP2.

Very nice track/facility with giant (10-12 feet high) metallic sculptures of spiders etc. placed all around the track and grounds.

T
Sadly, we don't make the race schedule dates to have been able to synch this year's New Orleans Porsche Club race with KOTD2 for the hype but here is revised MembTv logo Racing Porsche 968 ready to hit the track tomorrow at NOLA Motorsports Park tomorrow - 20190221_184216_resized.jpg 20190221_175116_resized.jpg 20190221_170746_resized.jpg 1.0.png 2.0.png 3.0.png

UnknownTurbo_t11

Dec 18, 2017
Good luck with the race. Push push push ...

For a moment I thought BoA2 is happening :biggrin:
111, well, maybe not BOA2 but I'm sure Memb is working on next but he isn't saying yet.

I figured it best to tag this old thread from last year instead of starting another.

Other than the new Memb Channel logo for 2019, car has new 24-way adjustable, remote nitrogen canister coilovers, front splitter and a wider front wheel/tire this year.

That national champion competitor is not signed up this year but overall, more competitors in class this go-around, should be total domeenashun.

T

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Hidden Cup 2 Qualification Final
Wednesday 22:00 (GMT +01:00)
Aspiring Experts GL Ro32
Friday 00:00 (GMT +01:00)
Sobek vs T90Official
Aspiring Experts GL Ro32