Battle of Africa gets Qualification Stage

boa01.jpg

We promised to add a qualification stage if sign ups and interest would justify it - now it's here!

While the 6 highest rated teams will make it in to the main event directly, teams 7-14 will play for the remaining two spots on the weekend after the sign up deadline and before the official tournament start (March 10 & 11).
Each team will play a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2 sets before failing to qualify or making it to the main event. All games will be played using the Group Stage settings. Brackets can be found here: challonge.com/boa_qual
Matches will be announced on the upcoming Friday, 23 GMT. The games of Round 1 must be finished before Sunday 15 GMT, the Semis before Sunday 23 GMT. If you can't play on the weekend or don't schedule in time you are out.

If you haven't already throw your head into the ring and get your teams ready. Do not forget that each team member must've played 10 rated games on any BoA map to not get a rating penalty.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Please center all the text and image 11

Could you remember what rating was used in the end to make the cut? tg, 1vs1 or both?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

if Tyrants are in qualifiers then they will be without Tatoh as he is travelling and is only back on Sunday night and then he has to play Stark for MoA5. This is already getting juicy. Daut Jordan have to play !!

BoA Sign Up / Seeding Overview

ratings last updated March 9

1. 2165,6 - aM (Lierreyy, Hearttt, MbL, Nicov)
  2. 2109,1 - SY (Paladin, Yo, Vivi, Lyx)
  3. 2090,0 - Brazil (F1re, dogao, miguel, RiuT)
  4. 2069,3 - Suomi (Zuppi, TheMax, Villese, Rubenstock)
  5. 2052,1 - CZ (Error, Skull, Mango, Janik)
  6. 2049,8 - TyRanT (TheViper, Jordan_23, DauT, TaToH)
    ------------
  7. 2042,9 - NaBs (Spaden, mentalist, Pike, slam)
  8. 2018,0 - Vietnam Legend (ACCM, BacT, Cool, Yellow)
  9. 1987,8 - ChinaA (Tim, Straydog, CL)
  10. 1969,4 - USA A (Influenza, Juba, Daniel)
  11. 1959,5 - North 'Murcans (Timotheus, Mattheus, Spring, Hera)
  12. 1939,7 - Dreamers zZ (Fedex, JuaNNNN, Edie, LaaaN)
  13. 1929,9 - Tsu much nC (Skittle, Nili, LB10)
  14. 1866,9 - Lesto B (pete_martell, Kamigawa, Rogier505, GoldenEnd)
    ------------

I wish everyone best of luck and fun with the tournament. I do appreciate that there is a qualification stage and i am thankful that swissboy changed his mind. I just want to point out one thing:

The current format of the qualification stage (not spots for everyone, possibility to play via rating, sign ups close 1 minute before the qualification stage should start, quali stage only lasting 2 days) is causing massive problems and disapointments for teams not making the cut. We signed up like 2 weeks ago, took things of, managed our real life to have time on this weekend and 4 hours before the stage should start we get the info not being able to play.

I suggest you:

- make qualification stage last longer so teams dont have to plan so much free time in a shourt period
- close sign ups earlier
- open qualification stage to all teams

Maybe you can consider this next time to improve the tournament :smile:

I suggest you:
- make qualification stage last longer so teams dont have to plan so much free time in a shourt period
- close sign ups earlier

- packing the qualifier into an already tight schedule isn't great, I agree
- not sure how that would change anything, teams would still sign up last minute
- did that for moa2 and the result was disappointing and not worth the effort at all

Understandable that you are disappointed about not making it.

I wish everyone best of luck and fun with the tournament. I do appreciate that there is a qualification stage and i am thankful that swissboy changed his mind. I just want to point out one thing:

The current format of the qualification stage (not spots for everyone, possibility to play via rating, sign ups close 1 minute before the qualification stage should start, quali stage only lasting 2 days) is causing massive problems and disapointments for teams not making the cut. We signed up like 2 weeks ago, took things of, managed our real life to have time on this weekend and 4 hours before the stage should start we get the info not being able to play.

I suggest you:

- close sign ups earlier

I hate to be the one to say this but this is a COMPETITIVE TOURNAMENT. With SERIOUS money on the line and knowing Swissboy's stance on holding a high quality tournament having a team that would just get absolutely trashed in the qualifier is far from his standard. You can make the usual argument of "Not everything is about money. What about just for fun?"
NO. It has been known since the beginning that this is a real competitive tournament and just because a team signed up and canceled personal plans doesn't mean they should automatically get to play.

I hate to be the one to say this but this is a COMPETITIVE TOURNAMENT. With SERIOUS money on the line and knowing Swissboy's stance on holding a high quality tournament having a team that would just get absolutely trashed in the qualifier is far from his standard. You can make the usual argument of "Not everything is about money. What about just for fun?"
NO. It has been known since the beginning that this is a real competitive tournament and just because a team signed up and canceled personal plans doesn't mean they should automatically get to play.
What a terrible take. With an attitude like this see how long the competitive tournaments last with the same 15-20 players competing over and over.

As andrew pointed it out already, it is important to let people play and improve. You need tournament experience to improve at a high level, there are varios people improving in the tournament.

and for your personal belongings:

you have ANY idea about who we actually are and how good or bad we actually play? We took a game from SY in NC, won many medals in RTS League beating teams seeded way above us. I am not saying that we win this tournament or even survive the qualification stage, but saying that we get completly owned in every game from every team is just so painful to read.
100 points on voobly tg rate doesnt say anything about strength at all. I can list at least 10 players that have more tg rate than jordan and they can never win any game vs him at all.

Show some respect to the players, AOC is not about viewers on the first hand but about the players providing great games!

- packing the qualifier into an already tight schedule isn't great, I agree
- not sure how that would change anything, teams would still sign up last minute
- did that for moa2 and the result was disappointing and not worth the effort at all

Understandable that you are disappointed about not making it.
I meant you could close sign ups on wednesday or any early days in the week for example, in this case you know some days before the weekend if you have to take free time for aoc or not.
What is causing the work for you at a qualification stage? I am just curious why you say that this is so much more effort than the normal tournament. Is it teams not sheduling? Or doing brackets for the stage?

Andorin, Arma, Snyper are pretty nice guys and have had good games in past TG tournament. I have played a couple of BF games with them in their team and even when they are much stronger these guys are pretty supportive and never rage.

Now to tournament, I full agree it sucks to know last minute that you can't play because of rating but in any tournament teams/players have always been signing up last minute. Even in KOTD the battle for last spots went into the very last hour. It was kinda thrilling to see that.

I think his point was just that if you had more time between the deadline (ofc players will always sign up last minute) and the games that are ought to be played then you could prepare yourself better as you would know whether you had to play.

now it is much too late, but i would understand, if qualification stage was played for seedings 5-8.
CZ is a great team, but i would like to see them compete vs many teams of the quali stage (like China A for example) before they have a fix seed in the main stage.

i love this tournament! it is great! finally it gets the attention it deserves!

Edit: This post was referred to the (short) time, when CZ had a place in the tourney without having played a game on the map (that i have seen).

Last edited:
Regarding closing the Sign ups a bit earlier, I think it would definitely help for teams who didn't qualify to to know they don't have to keep the weekend off a bit earlier, but even more important, I think it would really help to get the games played in the Qualification Stage.

Since the brackets were post late at Friday Night the teams were only able to start scheduling from that point and as it looks right now the earliest games will be played at Saturday evening (in GMT) and most likely some first round games will only be played on Sunday, while if brackets were known before I'm pretty sure we could've seen some games played on Saturday morning and could've forced all first round games to be done on Saturday.

Now I don't think it's fair to blame swissboyy for this, since the Qualification Stage wasn't originally planned and this was the original sign up deadline I think? Just if this happens for another tournament I think it's a good idea to have sign ups close at least a few days before the Qualification Stage starts.

swissboyy is showing experiment to you guys
“What’s qualification stage for? every match either clear win or AW, in the end still seed 7~8 get in”

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ToA BB Quarter Finals
Monday 20:30 (GMT +02:00)
klavskis+Invito+Wondrous vs ekimku+selimo+HelloBenjamin

Whats new?