CZ_Mango
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Hi, recently I came up with idea to host an arena style maps TG tournament.

maps would be: clasic Arena, SY_Pond_Arena, SY_Hideout and some palisade version of classic arena.

Sling would be banned and some civs might be banned too. Possibly we could use captains mode or some set civs for some round as well as pick civs.

What do you guys think? Would there be any interest? Would someone help me to organize it?
Its just a thought which seems to me it might be fun to play. Lets discuss.

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013
Worthwhile having it conclude before mid-October, so as not to have arena overload, with Masters of Arena 4 starting then?

A straightforward way of seeing some different civs is simply to say that teams can only use a civ once in a series, or in a set of games from the series. For example, you could have the first 3 games as no repeat civs, so 9 different civs are used in the first 3 games for 3v3.

Can help if any maps need modifying.

SpainMembTV

Two handed swordman
Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2011
www.twitch.tv
u know i like you, but this kind of comments do not help so much the community, mango came up with some idea, either u like or not give arguments to defend one or other point of view, such a comments like that is the cancer in my pov.

About mango topic, i think is good idea but we must be careful with so so many tournaments, MOA4 will be starting like smb said and if we make so many tournaments people somehow lose interest, the time to make the tournaments might be as important as the settings.

Gl with it.

Jan 1, 2015
Either this has to be a short tournament with just single elimination, not double elimination or round robin group stages that is finished before MOA4 starts, or it has to happen about 2 months after MOA4 ends.

I think it's a really good idea and should definitely happen, you just have to be careful with the timings.

I don't think Arena overload is the problem as it's actually a relatively popular map and can be a lot of fun as MOA3 demonstrated. I think the problem is that MOA4 will be a bigger tournament and will overshadow this tournament if they happen at the same time and that would be a shame.

Get this one happening at a different time and it could be really successful. :smile:

Czech RepublicOvenka

Nov 30, 2013
Voobly
CZ_Ovenka
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Yeah, combinated 3v3 and 4v4 games. I would persoanlly make a lot of games with picked civs, but with many civs banned too for each game.

Czech RepublicCZ_Mango

Dec 14, 2013
Prague
Voobly
CZ_Mango
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Yea I thought the same. Might be good adition as well.

About timing of the tournament. Of course it should not be at the same time as MoA4. It could be delayed after that tournament ends.

It does not have to be big tournament. Might be some small one. Maybe it could be even aimed at the same people like Robo did. Lets say for intermediate players like that IOC BF tournament. If it is successful then we could organize another bigger one for better teams.

Why to organize it? Arena is very popular especially but not only amongst lower rated players. I would like to give a chance to those to have some fun as well. I think there is plenty of those 14xx-17xx players who would like to play this.

Why arena? Because I can't remember there was ever some TG arena tournament in last lets say 10 years.

Cliffy arena could be added as well but I heard many complaints about unfair positions. So that one might need map modifying. Also I don't know if there is solely palisade arena (Ι don't mean hideout with center position on map). Maybe there was in some older mappack but Im not sure. Might be one of MR maps. So I could use help with this as well. Either find the relevant one or modify and make a new one just like stonewall arena but with palisades and gates.

Australiarobo

Administrator
Staff member
Bronze Supporter
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
www.youtube.com
I've already planned to do an arena or megarandom intermediate tournament to start in 1-2 months. So if you're going to do an areña thing it will be megarandom.

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013
With Cliffy Arena you have very little control over where cliffs go, I've seen some terrible generations. I think the cliffs just serve as an annoyance.

Palisade Arena attached.

Attachments

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013
You can also have Team Arena variants like this:

Team Palisade Arena:

http://image.prntscr.com/image/b2df269564fa4cfe92d4bad10a5b0880.png

Rival Cities (could easily have river removed and clumps of forest made less chokepointy):

http://image.prntscr.com/image/4d24f4de3efc4a2caba1073f9fa9814a.png

Some different styles of Arena and Fortress maps would certainly go a long way to mitigate the (near) clash with Masters of Arena, especially if the tournament has an intermediate-level focus (Masters of Arena spots being given to highest ratings).

----------------------

@ smarthy: a Team Danger Arena weekend event needs to happen :lol:

Feb 4, 2009
I love how the discussion for arena type maps are going on, then influenzaa comes along and says why not any other map. What's next, how about -double_layer-walle-migration-center_island-michi withall gold and stone in the center of huge forest on another double walled central island?

Austriateutonic_tanks

Two handed swordman
Mar 30, 2013
You also have that Canadian Border-map or whatever it's called with gold in the middle (hill, and regicide start).
SY_Boards_of_Canada?

in case you need more Arena maps:
[email protected]_Arena http://www.conquepedia.net/index.php/Forest_Arena everyone is surrounded by a 2 tiles Wood instead of stonewalls
[email protected]_Arena http://www.conquepedia.net/index.php/Inverted_Arena
-Reverse Arena http://www.conquepedia.net/index.php/Reverse_Arena
-Golden Arena http://new-chapter.eu/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20425 gold is outside and wood is in mid.

Jan 1, 2015
Are people still up for this? By mid to late January Masters of Arabia 2v2 will have reached the latter stages, so would that be a good time to start this tournament?

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 4v4 WB Final
Saturday 11:30 (GMT +01:00)
new Chapter vs Australia
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
Saturday 13:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Villese vs St4rk
ECL South East Asia 1v1 Ro16