AoE Steam Sale

1542837141921.png

AoE2 is 80% off, so if you have been waiting for a chance to purchase the expansions for use with WK now is a good time to do so!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/Age_of_Empires_II_HD/

1542837197188.png

Also it is 82% off if you buy the AoE2 & AoE3 bundle!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2185/Age_of_Empires_Legacy_Bundle/

AoE3 by itself is 75% off

https://store.steampowered.com/app/105450/Age_of_Empires_III_Complete_Collection/

AoM is 75% off

https://store.steampowered.com/app/266840/Age_of_Mythology_Extended_Edition/

MexicoSouFire

Well Known Pikeman
Mar 11, 2011
Mexico
Do you even read stats ?
Stats can be manipulated to achieve expected outcomes by hiding crucial factors, the fact that the banning civ system has been part of every single tournament now has prevented the abuse of burmese/malays/berbers/malies in tournaments, which has been good for some players but bad in overall, it has interfered to show the real difference with old civs vs the newest and also delayed the development of OP strats.

If current tournaments let players to pick civ freely you 'd see the things more clear.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
it was to prevent players picking burmese/malay every single game
Malay was never seen as an OP civ (if you overlook arena)
You don't even know which civs are/were the best and want to argue.
There are plenty of civs that have a high chance of winning most matchups. Malians, Indians, Burmese, Mayans, Incas, Aztecs and probably some more.
It's way better than AOC balance, where Huns/Mayans/Aztecs dominated almost all maps.
And btw, even water is now better balanced, malians and japanese can win italians.

AustriaDeathcounter

Longswordman
Oct 15, 2017
docs.google.com
Stats can be manipulated to achieve expected outcomes by hiding crucial factors, the fact that the banning civ system has been part of every single tournament now has prevented the abuse of burmese/malays/berbers/malies in tournaments, which has been good for some players but bad in overall, it has interfered to show the real difference with old civs vs the newest and also delayed the development of OP strats.

If current tournaments let players to pick civ freely you 'd see the things more clear.
*psst Dude, dont destroy their believes. Dont hate on WK, or you will end up like me -
Guys i am sure SouFire is clearly trolling :roflmao:

Germanydodageka

Longswordman
Feb 13, 2018
Fun fact: The civs that people argue are OP are not the ones with the highest win rate in the statistical analysis that other people use to argue that other civs are OP.

Fun fact 2: The most OP expansion to date is AoC - that got us huns, mayans, aztecs (and conquistadors). All expansions since then have pretty much added civs at the same level as those three. The civs that suck today are the AoK civs that have always sucked, but that is nothing new with HD. And yes, the number of civs that can win any matchup now has drastically increased.

Also, that reddit stat thing is relatively useless. First, it controls for which is broken on voobly, therefore the control is broken as well. second, the elo groups are way to large, the civ balance will always be different even between 2k5 and 2k3. Second, only one map and only 1v1. And fourth and most important, it just says something about WK atm without providing any reference as to what is good or bad (esp. no comparison to AoC or previous WK balances) which is the key information

Nov 13, 2017
Fun fact 2: The most OP expansion to date is AoC - that got us huns, mayans, aztecs (and conquistadors). All expansions since then have pretty much added civs at the same level as those three. The civs that suck today are the AoK civs that have always sucked, but that is nothing new with HD. And yes, the number of civs that can win any matchup now has drastically increased.
This. Seriously, no other expansion has had 3 civs that dominated the meta as long as AOC had huns, mayans and aztecs.

FranceTriRem

Longswordman
Dec 13, 2015
France
This. Seriously, no other expansion has had 3 civs that dominated the meta as long as AOC had huns, mayans and aztecs.
Also, conqs were the best castle age UU, Spanish best TG civ, and Koreans SO were obnoxious as hell. AoC broke Arabia, Arena, RF and BF with its new civs. None of the new DLC have gone this far, not even close.

SpainPoxo

Champion
Oct 27, 2012
Madrid, Spain
Voobly
Poxo
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
I was about to coment on the current and past situation regardless balance, then I saw who was complaining, Soufire, that guy has been crying on AoEZone and AoCZone since I've been around, don't read that guy. Many players are toxic at some points, I've been toxic towards many topics regarding WK/new meta/balancing or change in general concerning the game or the scene. Soufire has posted toxic coments towards everything during the years, I hope that at some point as well as many others allready had, he could change his POV and understand what is for the greater good and what are greedy choices.

This post is not about Soufire, he just happens to be the example in this case, don't spread hate, don't be either an ass sucking fanboy (like some on this same topic). Come have a game, make a friend and be the best you can be. We have been playing the same game for the past 20 year and it has never been the same, all changes, do not get stuck at some point, learn to develop yourself with each new change.

gl hf.

Irelanddooog

Mar 3, 2018
Bought this for my nephew, (sshh don't tell his parents) trying to get him into the game.
Unfortunately despite his computer only being a few years old, a 20 year old game is practically unplayable because of the zoomed resolution problem, the TC alone takes up about 30-40% of the screen and there's no Zoom out option on HD. He's probably back on minecraft already :\

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
The only "pro" I see being vocal against WK is Influenza. And that's a guy who probably wants to go back to AOK balance anyway (I agree tho, make Franks great again!).
What are you even talking about lol. Many players far better than me have stated that they absolutely hate new water balance. And that's just one issue. There are many other issues that took months upon months to even be addressed by devs, and many things that should never have been done in the first place. Why is it that mamelukes are still unusable?? Any reason for that? Why do halberdiers absolutely destroy them? Why are generic FU HCA better than mangudais now?

Every time there's a tournament game we have the best players "crying" about Indians, a civ that dominates arabia tg like no other civ ever has before. And what did the devs do the last time players demanded the Indians be nerfed? Make halbs more OP than they already were and make regular camels completely unusable against them. Seems like demanding changes sometimes does more harm than good LUL

Most of the "pro" players aren't going to be vocal about all these issues forever. Because eventually, they will have realized that some of the changes that were made will simply NEVER be changed back. A number here might be tweaked, a cost of an upgrade there. But will there be any major changes to the eagle warrior? the conq? the arambai? A return to the normal water balance? Those kind of changes are entirely off of the table - you are not going to hear anyone mention them ever again. The players of this game have long since recognized that WK will be the game of all future tournaments, thx to Escape&Co. hosting many events in succession on the unplayable platform of HD with the then unplayable game balance. It would be futile to suggest otherwise.

WK will be the competitive platform of Aoe2, at least until yall attempt to release the successor to Rise of the Rajas with Aoe2 DE with an accompanying tournament. (I hope you guys are planning this, at least from a business standpoint. Otherwise not a single rational Voobly player will even consider buying that windows store garbage-to-be)

Irelanddooog

Mar 3, 2018
HD runs on your desktop resolution, so if he changes that also the resolution of HD will change.
The laptop was already set to its max 1366x768 15" screen. I tried googling around for a fix but this seems like quite a common problem for people. I remember having the same problem on my old laptop.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
There are many other issues that took months upon months to even be addressed by devs, and many things that should never have been done in the first place. Why is it that mamelukes are still unusable?? Any reason for that? Why do halberdiers absolutely destroy them? Why are generic FU HCA better than mangudais now?
Interresting to hear that HCA are better than mangudai now.
Well, ok in a 1v1 comparison, but we are not watching spirit of the law videos here, they still have the anti siege bonus after all, they fire faster and run faster ...
Oh and before thumbring they are actually accurate.
And keep in mind in a 1v1 comparison FU HCA won Mangudai in AOC already (2 more armor :D )

Also when were mamelukes ever "usable" in Age, they were always way to expensive unless you played on non competetive maps like michi or bf ...
And halbs do 5 less dmg to mames with the new balance, it's not like they were not adressed at all.

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
Interresting to hear that HCA are better than mangudai now.
Well, ok in a 1v1 comparison, but we are not watching spirit of the law videos here, they still have the anti siege bonus after all, they fire faster and run faster ...
Oh and before thumbring they are actually accurate.
And keep in mind in a 1v1 comparison FU HCA won Mangudai in AOC already (2 more armor :D )

Also when were mamelukes ever "usable" in Age, they were always way to expensive unless you played on non competetive maps like michi or bf ...
And halbs do 5 less dmg to mames with the new balance, it's not like they were not adressed at all.
Dude you know so little about this game, lol
FU HCA did not beat Mangudai in AoC. Mangudai absolutely trounced HCA, and the more units you add to the matchup the greater the margin by which the mangudais win. Where are all these ppl getting the idea that HCA ever even compared to mangudais in AoC? Melkor u really did a disservice with that old post of yours

Mangudais still beat HCA now, but the margin is far more slim, while HCA are significantly cheaper and made from archery ranges and Mangudais now have 5 frame delay and made from castles. So in many situations, regular HCA can equal their mangudai counterparts. Of course the siege bonus is noteworthy as well and helps mangudai in many situations.

Mamelukes were always an expensive unit, yes, but in Post Imp, it was one of the most dangerous units in the game, on COMPETITIVE OPEN MAPS far more than maps like Michi/BF (have you heard of a siege onager?) Because of the frame delay, they suck now. Goldless pokey boys doing 5 less damage is negligible, mams still get completely destroyed by them.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Dude you know so little about this game, lol
FU HCA did not beat Mangudai in AoC. Mangudai absolutely trounced HCA, and the more units you add to the matchup the greater the margin by which the mangudais win. Where are all these ppl getting the idea that HCA ever even compared to mangudais in AoC? Melkor u really did a disservice with that old post of yours

Mangudais still beat HCA now, but the margin is far more slim, while HCA are significantly cheaper and made from archery ranges and Mangudais now have 5 frame delay and made from castles. So in many situations, regular HCA can equal their mangudai counterparts. Of course the siege bonus is noteworthy as well and helps mangudai in many situations.
I was talking about a 1v1 (1 unit each, no micro fyi) scenario and you answear talking about cheaper cost and numbers ...
Then you contradict your first rage post how FU HCA beat mangudai by saying the opposite thing, gg wp.

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
I was talking about a 1v1 (1 unit each, no micro fyi) scenario and you answear talking about cheaper cost and numbers ...
Then you contradict your first rage post how FU HCA beat mangudai by saying the opposite thing, gg wp.
1v1 mangudai beats HCA now and always has, doofus. HCA can beat mangudais now, because they can be made from wood buildings and not stone castles and are much cheaper gold cost.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Why are generic FU HCA better than mangudais now?

still waiting on this one ..

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
My posts have been very clear for anyone capable of understanding more than the shallowest of readings. I'm sorry you're not part of the 99%
This is like talking to some guy on twitter or Facebook who makes contradictory statments and then acts as if the other side has an "inferior intelligence".
Well, at least I had some fun.
Edit: btw I was indeed wrong, they survive by one shot and I was misguided by the extra pierce armor :smile:
Nevertheless with that extra pierce armor they are clearly to strong against any ranged unit compared with mangudai, it's time to give mongols ring archer armor to make them stronger against HCA. While romoving HCA from mongols in general to avoid those to be stronger than mangudai 11 (I just realised how to make a balance shitpost YAY)

United StatesInfluenza

Two handed swordman
Jul 7, 2011
This is like talking to some guy on twitter or Facebook who makes contradictory statments and then acts as if the other side has an "inferior intelligence".
Well, at least I had some fun.
Maybe someday you will realize that when actually playing the game of aoc, unit matchups aren't just patrolling 40 unit groups against each other and thus declaring one a victor in any and all situations

Last edited:

MexicoSouFire

Well Known Pikeman
Mar 11, 2011
Mexico
I was about to coment on the current and past situation regardless balance, then I saw who was complaining, Soufire, that guy has been crying on AoEZone and AoCZone since I've been around, don't read that guy. Many players are toxic at some points, I've been toxic towards many topics regarding WK/new meta/balancing or change in general concerning the game or the scene. Soufire has posted toxic coments towards everything during the years, I hope that at some point as well as many others allready had, he could change his POV and understand what is for the greater good and what are greedy choices.

This post is not about Soufire, he just happens to be the example in this case, don't spread hate, don't be either an ass sucking fanboy (like some on this same topic). Come have a game, make a friend and be the best you can be. We have been playing the same game for the past 20 year and it has never been the same, all changes, do not get stuck at some point, learn to develop yourself with each new change.

gl hf.
There is a big difference btwn going toxic and about having criticism, which you clearly lacks of it, all over the years i have always wanted the best for the game, some weak people just can't stand the truth, but guess what the world doesn't work as it should be, aoe II HD has always been broken, after almost 6 years we can't just recommend new people to buy a broken game, the money does not go to forgotten empires it goes to microsoft the real responsible of the current status.

If you don't like to read certain user just ignore them next time, instead of calling for attention or likes.

Wk is not all happiness at its current state, bad decisions have been taken by the devs some of those decisions have been wrong, so you have three options, be the perfect customer buying and supporting broken stuff just for fanaticism, don't play the game anymore/go back to aoc, or keep playing and reporting how things are with the hope that it would change.

Aoe customers should be more critical and objectives, the lack of complains on the current aoe II hd version gave us a result the AoE DE version, which i am not going to say what i have said before, just buy the game and live it for yourself or read windows store complaints, by the way for aoe ii hd we had skylabs/microsoft to blame, but definitive editions are all made for FE, so i believe as a customer i have the legit right to complain for a bad product.

GermanyAthasos

Longswordman
Jul 8, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Maybe someday you will realize that when actually playing the game of aoc, unit matchups aren't just patrolling 40 unit groups against each other and thus declaring one a victor in any and all situations
I regret argueing with you already, it's not like I ever did any example like this to begin with.
But for the sake of the argument, let's argue.
Mangudai, as you said before have one major bonus, that HCA don't have, the bonus dmg against siege.
Therefore they are the way better late game unit, especially when SO or siegerams are out.
Nevertheless it's harder to mass them, but why is that a problem?
It's not like HCA will win in a TG over Mangudai, they win in 1v1 games, they are easier to get massed in Castle age and early imp.
I don't see a problem here.
Mangudai are stronger in late game, so they are harder to get to, alright seems like a very good balance :wink:
I think you are trapped by the mindset of old AOC, as many others, who loved to play with Mangudai.
But in reality AOC Mangudai were unbalanced, while they are way better balanced in wk now.
And I know you will disagree with me here, please don't repeat all your arguments you made previously, I acknowledged them as Facts.
I simply disagree, that because HCA are easier to mass and got a cost reduction, they are now to strong compared with Mangudai.

GermanyKing_Marv

Longswordman
May 27, 2016
Germany
Mamelukes have been OP and Shit at the same time forever?

like if it wasnt possible to counter them with halbs (i just gonna believe they do i actually dont know how many you need and how good your micro is) what unit is countering mamelukes then?

not skirm not cav not not generic arbs not mangudais not CA not infantry so you basically stuck with units like longbows, camel arch, imp camels, genoese Crossbows, and Siege onagers/heavy scorpions or a combination between more units Also halbs costing no gold is not an argument. Skirms win vs every archer unit and they cost also gold.

Another announcement thread which turned into a discussion love it :roflmao:

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

Improvement Cup 3v3
Wednesday 19:00 (GMT +01:00)
Group D: Team Lunacy vs Team India
ECL East Asia 4v4
Thursday 15:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL East Asia 4v4