A Guide for Beginners

Unknownneilkaz

Jul 12, 2011
Hi! My question is where can i find some article or sth about the details of the game? For example: how much faster the food comes from hunting, than from sheep. etc.
Thanks in advance!
I think this is what you're looking for: http://aok.heavengames.com/university/s ... gathering/
These rates are spot on with one exception and that is that fish traps were improved to .340 in a patch (I think was 1.0c).

These rates are from my tests and the results were posted at MFO and probably at AOKH years ago as well. I don't think any of the basic rates have changed for AoFE. Note that these rates assume no walking or sailing to dump food.

.. neilkaz ..

United Statesguitarizt

Jun 6, 2014
Voobly
_Catastrophe
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Hi! My question is where can i find some article or sth about the details of the game? For example: how much faster the food comes from hunting, than from sheep. etc.
Thanks in advance!
I think this is what you're looking for: http://aok.heavengames.com/university/s ... gathering/
These rates are spot on with one exception and that is that fish traps were improved to .340 in a patch (I think was 1.0c).

These rates are from my tests and the results were posted at MFO and probably at AOKH years ago as well. I don't think any of the basic rates have changed for AoFE. Note that these rates assume no walking or sailing to dump food.

.. neilkaz ..
Thanks, I didn't know the fishing traps gather rate had changed.

UnknownMarathon

Jun 6, 2011
In Cysion's "Outside the Box" page, you can find interesting info about farming. For instance, it says that farms to the east are better than farms to the west due to the assymetry of TC structure.

Sep 3, 2014
In Cysion's "Outside the Box" page, you can find interesting info about farming. For instance, it says that farms to the east are better than farms to the west due to the assymetry of TC structure.
Not asymmetry of TC structure, it's the fact that farming vills only work on the left side of the farm, so if they're on the east side of the TC or a mill, they'll be closer to the dropoff point when they're done collecting food.

I'd also really recommend Chris's e-book for anyone that wants to improve and has $10 to spare. There's a lot of really useful info in there on cost-effectiveness of upgrades, how many of what unit you need to counter X many enemy units, how to micro your units, tips and tricks on different things like how to deal with people trying to steal your boars or how to save a boar luring vill that isn't going to make it back to the TC alive. I know people like to pick on this book on AOCZone, but IMO it will save new people a lot of games trying to figure this stuff out for themselves.

UnknownSky95

Mar 15, 2013
there is a mistake in this guide :O
you start with 3 standart gold piles. one large pile of 7 tiles of gold and 2x 4 tiles of gold.

UnknownMarathon

Jun 6, 2011
Not asymmetry of TC structure, it's the fact that farming vills only work on the left side of the farm, so if they're on the east side of the TC or a mill, they'll be closer to the dropoff point when they're done collecting food.
No, the center of a 3v3 building is the central tile, but for 2x2 buildings the center lies on the intersection among all tiles, so the game in such a case always selects as center the eastern tile of the ones that are on the intersection. In the case of TC, it is the eastern one of the 4 central ones, and if you see villagers how they try to drop food you will see it.
Test if you want, put a mill to the west of TC and a sheep between them, a bit closer to TC. You will see it then.

The thing you mentioned about farmers working on the left side of the farm is something that I have not noticed, but could be true, who knows? What I mention above, is tested and verified.

Mar 30, 2013
Jun 10, 2015
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and am an avid fan of AoE2 (with all its expansions). I would like to ask, since I can't find what I'm looking for, which section (or recorded games of specific players) are good for beginners? Games that show how to manage well and advance quickly and maintaining that pace up until the battle begins in Imperial and how to keep it going.

Thank you very much! All help is appreciated.

United StatesShmolagin

Well Known Pikeman
Jun 14, 2014
Voobly
Tia_HardlyBald
View profile
Ladder
RM - Team Games
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and am an avid fan of AoE2 (with all its expansions). I would like to ask, since I can't find what I'm looking for, which section (or recorded games of specific players) are good for beginners? Games that show how to manage well and advance quickly and maintaining that pace up until the battle begins in Imperial and how to keep it going.

Thank you very much! All help is appreciated.
YouTube is an invaluable tool for starting. Zeroempires has a number of good videos casting expert games as well as his zero to hero series. BBQ turkman also has some tutorials. Watching some of those videos and playing online (Voobly new player lobby is best)is a good way to start. TheViper's stream and youtube offers the most insight but he doesn't have as much content made.

Unknownincognoto

Aug 1, 2011
Hi!

New player, very new newbie question: where can I find the option so that scores are always on?

Right now I just hit F4 every game.

UnknownSMB360

Dec 8, 2013
There is a set of buttons next to the minimap (and also a button to toggle the display of some additional buttons too).

Netherlandsgmischa

Known Member
Oct 21, 2013
Voobly
gmischa
View profile
Ladder
RM - 1v1
Rating
Wins
Losses
Streak
Get the game, either the original or the steam version. Download voobly at voobly.com. the needed patches will install automatically. Join the New player lobby and have fun!

UnknownGait

Dec 19, 2016
Thanks for the great guide! Is there a updated version of AOKTC-counter_units? I'm missing The African Kingdoms and Rise of the Rajas DLC.

Time

Your time
G M T
Your zone

Upcoming Events

ECL SE Asia 1v1 ShuaiNiu vs saymyname
Saturday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
ECL SE Asia 1v1 ShuaiNiu vs saymyname
NAC2 - Grand Finals
Sunday 14:00 (GMT +01:00)
///////
ECL SE Asia 1v1 Lyx vs St4rk